• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke dress shoes for disabled vet/double amputee

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bear with me, I will try and make this very very long story short.

• Good friend of mine joined the army, was blown to pieces in Iraq by an IED
  • Literally by the hand of God he survives. His body was absolutely mangled. Initially had less than 5% chance of survival after he had already arrived in hospital
  • Both legs didnt need amputation because they were already gone
  • After several months of fighting for his life, he stabilizes and he is fitted with prosthetics
  • He has since rejoined society and does very prominent work for vets, federal and state governments
  • PROBLEM- He has specially fitted black Asics walking shoes for his prosthetic feet. They do not look good with his business suits.
  • Collaborating with his wife, I would like to surprise him with custom 'dress' shoes that still provide the support his prosthetic feet require.

Where you come in-
I need contacts. I need any ideas of people who would be willing to help out. I have no idea where to start. I am going to begin gathering info about the shoe requirements from Walter Reed and the manufacturer, but once I have those I need somewhere to turn. I am thinking they will need to pretty much be tennis shoes made to look like dress shoes.

Any tips, contacts you can provide is dearly appreciated. Thank you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you have a contract who knows his measurments? What is your budget?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
So you have a contract who knows his measurments? What is your budget?

If his wife doesn't have them, she can get them for me from Walter Reed Hospital. Budget...I'd say there isn't one.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think it to be prudent to first explore what materials can and can't be used. I imagine the Asics because the soles are rubber/softer and allow for a much smoother range of motion. I'm thinking it may be difficult for him to walk in leather-soled shoes.

Once that's ironed out, I'd bet any maker could pound out a pair of shoes provided there are foot-like structures at the extremes of his prosthesis. You may also wish to contact Chay Cooper of Alfred Sargent who posts here as "Alfred Sargent".

Hope all goes well.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I would think it to be prudent to first explore what materials can and can't be used. I imagine the Asics because the soles are rubber/softer and allow for a much smoother range of motion. I'm thinking it may be difficult for him to walk in leather-soled shoes.

Once that's ironed out, I'd bet any maker could pound out a pair of shoes provided there are foot-like structures at the extremes of his prosthesis. You may also wish to contact Chay Cooper of Alfred Sargent who posts here as "Alfred Sargent".

Hope all goes well.

Right on. While his prosthetics are some of the most technologically advanced you can get, and include onboard computers, there are still limitations. I know that he needs the heel to tow roll that trainers can provide, which is why commissioning dressy shoes is such a challenge. Thank you for the tip on Alfred. I will certainly reach out.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not know any shoemakers, but I did want to applaud you on your effort. Bravo!

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't help you, but I did want to say that what you are doing for your friend is a very kind and caring gesture that I'm sure he will be very appreciative of.

-LR

Young Pro

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds has done a lot of work for American politicians and is a proud American company. I would think they would jump at the chance to help out. Their new CEO has posted here from time, might be worth contacting him.

Alden might also be worth a try, especially since they already make an orthotic line.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro
Allen Edmonds has done a lot of work for American politicians and is a proud American company. I would think they would jump at the chance to help out. Their new CEO has posted here from time, might be worth contacting him.

Alden might also be worth a try, especially since they already make an orthotic line.

AE recently started making an orthotic line, too.

IronRock

Reaction score
What you are doing is fantastic, a great idea. I am sure you will get plenty of advice from where ever it was your friend had his prosthetics fitted but I thought you might want to try and give Selly Oak, http://www.qaranc.co.uk/rcdm.php in Birmingham UK a call. This is where they do all the rehabilitation for British servicemen and women with similar injuries, pm me if you need the name of a doctor. They might be able to point you in the right direction for a British shoe maker. Just a thought.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a good friend
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Nike once collaborated with (?)Kenneth Cole to produce a line of comfort dress shoes, perhaps they might jump at the chance to produce something like this. I've heard feedback that they were extremely comfortable, and not too bad looking too IIRC. Cheers by the way for a real swell gesture.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Swededude

Reaction score
Have nothing to help with unfortunately, but want to salute the nice gesture for your friend. Hope we can see the results when they are ready!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads