• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke dress shoes for disabled vet/double amputee

cold war painter

Reaction score
+1 on the RCDM in Birmingham, lots of knowlege there.

Originally Posted by NORE
I would think it to be prudent to first explore what materials can and can't be used. I imagine the Asics because the soles are rubber/softer and allow for a much smoother range of motion. I'm thinking it may be difficult for him to walk in leather-soled shoes.

If rubber is necessary, perhaps a Dainite sole? Rubber but much more dressy looking than trainers or a commando sole.

Leveraging the "feel good" factor to enlist a bigger maker like AE or Alden is a good thought, but I also wouldn't exclude the smaller makers who post here like Rider or DWFII who are likely to be more flexible.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
cheers to your friend for surviving such horrible tragedy, and cheers to you for being there for him. good luck in your search.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1 on all the praise here. This deserves special recognition.

As for an answer I'd recommend backing into this one. Instead of going straight to the manu's/cobblers, I'd start by going to the VA. They deal with these problems on a daily basis. Then, try the prosthetic manufacturer. Maybe they work with someone in particular. At the very least you'd be able to get specific measurements from them without having to hijack your friend's implants for a while. After that, try support groups, and not just for veterans. SOMEBODY has to have run into this problem before.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK yall, I got the low down. A lot less barriers than I thought

His feet are a size 10. There are only two problems that most dress shoes give him:
1) Stacked heel- he must be perfectly flat for the computers in his legs to operate properly
2) He needs the grip that trainers provide, and the slight roll that the shape of the soles provide.
(another that isn't super important, they need to be able to be tied tight. Some dress shoes with only a few loops and tiny laces might not be as good as others)

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would this be something a local cobbler could do with any pair of dress shoes?

altie

Reaction score
Very curious to see what you end up with. This has the potential to be a PR coup or whoever ends up making the shoes. Call around to some newspapers and see if you can get your friend and the shoemaker some press.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by altie
Very curious to see what you end up with. This has the potential to be a PR coup or whoever ends up making the shoes. Call around to some newspapers and see if you can get your friend and the shoemaker some press.

He's gotten a lot of press, met everyone you could imagine both in and out of politics. Whoever I end up using will certainly be asked if they want some coverage.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other thought is to contact Ron Rider (posts here under RIDER, I believe). He has a close relationship with a factory in Italy that does a ton of custom work.

This is a brilliant idea.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
The other thought is to contact Ron Rider (posts here under RIDER, I believe). He has a close relationship with a factory in Italy that does a ton of custom work.

This is a brilliant idea.

I'll check that out. I have some contact with Redwing shoes...the company that makes the boots everyone loves. I know they make some dress looking shoes...I'll have to see what they say.

ktrp

Reaction score
I wondered if the nature of the prosthetics would be such that the final shoe design would work - without any size adjustments - for anyone with similar prosthetics.

I imagine others would benefit, and it the cost/pair might come down. Once they figure out what works in terms of sole and a custom last, they could bang them out.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had the thought of doing a leather dress shoe with a crepe sole. This might work for him, too.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads