• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bespoke Dress Shirt Fit Advice

mutleybm

Reaction score
Dear All,

I had this shirt made for me. This is the first shirt I've had made bespoke.

I've got a very slim build which means even extra-slim OTR shirts are often far too big on me.

Can I ask for advice on whether it needs alterations or the pattern changing before I order another?

Attachments

Last edited:

AgentGary

Reaction score
Dear All,

I had this shirt made for me. This is the first shirt I've had made bespoke.

I've got a very slim build which means even extra-slim OTR shirts are often far too big on me.

Can I ask for advice on whether it needs alterations or the pattern changing before I order another?
Who's the maker?

maxalex

Reaction score
It looks a bit blousy around the waist but that could be due to not being tucked in securely and the fact that the trousers are sitting quite low. Also the sleeves might be a touch long but again hard to say. I like the roll of the button-down collar, very classic Brooks Brothers. Have you washed and ironed the shirt yet?

mutleybm

Reaction score
Thank you, I haven't washed it yet and I've given it a quick once-over with the iron to iron out some little creases.

It's tucked in as securely as I could without restricting movement too much. Would you say the collar/shoulders fit correctly, it just needs an extra couple of cm off the waist?

I tend to prefer trousers that sit a little lower, I'm not a big fan of high-rise trousers personally.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren’t these better questions for the shirt maker who took the measurements and cut the pattern?

Rbpp

Reaction score
I'm not sure the balance is right, the shirt does not hang properly on your shoulders.

maxalex

Reaction score
Thank you, I haven't washed it yet and I've given it a quick once-over with the iron to iron out some little creases.

It's tucked in as securely as I could without restricting movement too much. Would you say the collar/shoulders fit correctly, it just needs an extra couple of cm off the waist?

I tend to prefer trousers that sit a little lower, I'm not a big fan of high-rise trousers personally.
Only you can say if the collar is too tight or just right (unless the photo showed your face turning purple while wearing a tie). Try washing it and then ironing; all cotton shirts shrink to some extent, and shirtmakers--whether bespoke or OTR--take that into account when sizing. Finally, as noted above, you should also consult the shirtmaker but perhaps after washing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find it difficult to assess the fit of a shirt online because shirt fabric is so light, any small movement is going to show up as wrinkles. For example:

IMG_8927.jpeg

In this photo, we see pulling going from your second shirt button to your shoulder joints. This might be because the shoulders are cut incorrectly, or because the shirt doesn't account for your posture.

Ideally, I like my shirts to fit like this. Note that clean body (no wrinkles, pulling, etc)

tumblr_m3z85pHS4K1qa2j8co1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_m1y6bm43zq1qa2j8co1_1280.jpeg

However, this is not always possible to evaluate in a photo because small changes in your posture will reasonably show up as wrinkles. IMO, it's always better to just find a good shirtmaker and entrust yourself to that person (I realize this is a somewhat circular argument, as can you evaluate the person's work without also being critical and judging; I'm not sure)

That said, I generally aim for a cleaner fit, while accepting that shirt fabric moves and that the fit of the shirt can change over time through shrinkage or bodyweight changes. I would just let the shirtmaker see me in the shirt they made for me, and ask them to address any issues that concern me (tightness, pulling, incorrectly sloped shoulders or posture issues, forward neck posture, curves around back, etc).

From the photos you posted, my feeling is that the shirt is too slim, hence why it's not draping as cleanly as it could.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.