• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke disaster - am I within my rights to ask for a refund?

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
BTW, unshanked buttons is not a problem. He may need more fabric to make the changes you are talking about, as long as he has access to the fabric he should be able to remake it to your liking. Unless you are planning on never using him again, I would give him a chance to fix it. Also, bespoke, particularly the first attempt, is rarely perfect. there is a good chance you will have to eat something on the first piece that you are not completely happy about, but that is part of the mythical "bespoke process". let him fix it, don't expect it to be 100% perfect and then build from there.

gospel

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with the chorus, give him a chance to fix it, but but set a 1 month limit on it or you want your $ back.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demand the refund but I assume that he is off shore so he may well not realise or want to admit that UK law applies.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Demand the refund but I assume that he is off shore so he may well not realise or want to admit that UK law applies.

He is based in the UK, and I think I am right in saying all his tailors are UK based.

I will take the forum's advice and allow a second stab at it, providing it can be done in a reasonable timeframe (perhaps by the end of June/beginning of July). He has now confirmed that a complete remake will be the only remedy. Will this mean more fittings? I am minded to send him another bespoke jacket and ask him to copy it, if it gets me a quick and acceptable result.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pseudosyco
He is based in the UK, and I think I am right in saying all his tailors are UK based.

I will take the forum's advice and allow a second stab at it, providing it can be done in a reasonable timeframe (perhaps by the end of June/beginning of July). He has now confirmed that a complete remake will be the only remedy. Will this mean more fittings? I am minded to send him another bespoke jacket and ask him to copy it, if it gets me a quick and acceptable result.

eh.gif

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
eh.gif

When you have waited for 6 months, desperation sets in...

I suppose those across the water that use British tailors must deal with the same issue

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pseudosyco

if speed is one of your criteria, do not go bespoke, 6 month is not a long time to wait for a travelling tailor. Why wouldn't you want fittings on the new jacket, if you have issues with this one?
confused.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why are you using him as a "travelling tailor" if he is only one hour away? Just drive to him, I sit on the subway for an hour to see my tailor.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Why are you using him as a "travelling tailor" if he is only one hour away? Just drive to him, I sit on the subway for an hour to see my tailor.
He travels to me, and until recently didn't have a business premises. Now that he does, I suppose that may allow me to speed up the process. Edmorel, you are right of course, but I had a fitting with the current incarnation of this jacket and you would not be able to tell from the results. As to bespoke taking a long time, it certainly can do of course, but doesn't have to. I've had a suit made with 3 fittings in under 2 months. I'd consider that average.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

wow. that sucks. I use 2 tailors. One is about a mile from my house, the other is a block from my office. I guess im spoiled. haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads