• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Dinner Jacket critique; shoes and cummerbund advice

literasyme

Reaction score
Bowtielover is amazing. I'm having a hard time thinking of a member more consistent in dispensing fantastically bad advice (though he's right about the braces, of course).

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Bowtielover is amazing. I'm having a hard time thinking of a member more consistent in dispensing fantastically bad advice (though he's right about the braces, of course).

I agree with you on both bowtielover and the braces. The decision on the braces was purely motivated by price, and the fact that it would be invisible (except, of course, when I'm intentionally showing it to people on the internet).

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cnh121
If the jacket sleeves are too short, then the shirt sleeves are too short. Because the right amount of cuff is showing, at least on one arm. Hard to tell.

The body is not too short.

The body is too short, because the arm extend far beyond the bottom of the coat. You want to be able to cusp the bottom of the coat with your fingertips, I can tell from the photo he is not able to do that.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I cna think of several more wrong then me, and that is all who argue aginst me. Those who dispute my accurate on honest advice and opinions on mens fashion, are the ones dispensing bad advice. I know mens fashion, and I know what I am talkign about when I post on here and perhaps if you guys knew what you were talking about then you'd see that.

cnh121

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I cna think of several more wrong then me, and that is all who argue aginst me. Those who dispute my accurate on honest advice and opinions on mens fashion, are the ones dispensing bad advice. I know mens fashion, and I know what I am talkign about when I post on here and perhaps if you guys knew what you were talking about then you'd see that.
Um. No. The “cup the fingers” method doesn’t work since some men of equal height have arms of different length. It should be "long enough to cover your butt, that is the lower curve of your rear with ½ inch to spare" (Andy). Which his seems to do.

literasyme

Reaction score
Um. No.

The "cup the fingers" method doesn't work since some men of equal height have arms of different length.

It should be "long enough to cover your butt, that is the lower curve of your rear with ½ inch to spare" (Andy). Which his seems to do.

Precisely. (Spoken as a long-armed man -- by the finger-cup method, I'd have to wear 3/4-length coats...)

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't feed the trolls.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um. No.

The "cup the fingers" method doesn't work since some men of equal height have arms of different length.

Precisely. It's entirely possible that the coat is too short, but with the camera angle it's impossible to be sure, and the finger-cupping method is not accurate. For example, in my case, my scoliosis means I have a short torso yet normal length arms, if I were to have my coats as long as bowtielover says they would look ridiculous.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Is it me or does that guy in the wedding photos look like there are electrodes hooked up to his testicles?

Bahahaha, if so, his face indicates the current must be very low because he's certainly enjoying it!

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
Bahahaha, if so, his face indicates the current must be very low because he's certainly enjoying it!

Must be on the 'gentle tingle' setting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads