• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
hey guys i'm an attention whore but disguising it, barely, with a question that will pique the interest of a select group of individuals on this forum who will, hopefully, empathize with my non-situation.

teacha.gif
teacha.gif
teacha.gif

JensenH

Reaction score
^^ How could you not see this as a public service by Foo to enable SFers to boast about their bespoke clothings? This is a pure selfless act.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mork
OK, so I was planning to pop my SF posting cherry next week when I my first-ever bespoke suit is finished, but now I need to ask: why do suits have stripey sleeves? I hadn't even noticed this until I was choosing linings for my suit and my tailor asked whether I wanted stripey sleeves or the same blue lining as the body. I chose not to have the stripes.

Am I ruined?

I don't know why, it's just a tradition, not sure how it started. I like it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Not sure if this is BS, but one tailor told me the stripey stuff is a different blend than just regular ol' bemberg, which it makes it easier for the arms to slide in-and-out.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Not sure if this is BS, but one tailor told me the stripey stuff is a different blend than just regular ol' bemberg, which it makes it easier for the arms to slide in-and-out.

Dad always said that tailors used stripes in the sleeves because it was less expensive material than the bemberg for the body lining. No idea about the truth of the matter, B

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Dad always said that tailors used stripes in the sleeves because it was less expensive material than the bemberg for the body lining. No idea about the truth of the matter, B

That would make sense. Either this or tougher.
Sleeve lining has to withstand more stress than the other jacket body lining
(except maybe around pockets, where rough skin, nails, and hard-edged objects can tear up the lining)
so it should be tougher.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1, looks good

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

I know a few things that makes it easier for things to slide-in-and-out.
teacha.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, the DB carcoat I'm having made doesn't have stripey sleeve lining, because the tailor decided that wasn't right for it. Perhaps because it's outerwear? I have no idea.

--Andre

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt

I am staggered that a tailor such as Rubinacci that make as fundemental error as geeting the lining wrong.

Why it is not dificult to read the customer's instructions even if in US English not Italian. What explanation do they offer for this stupidity?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
BTW, now we know!

I liked the lining FWIW.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I've never chosen a lining other than asking for Bemberg or ermazine.

So, I comprehend not your anguish.

- B

Same here. I am clearly not paying enough attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads