• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke / Custom-made Shoes for Wide Feet & High Instep

HorseTearz

Reaction score
First post on here. I may post this on a few other men's style forums, so apologies if you frequent other sites and come across this same post -- I swear I'm not spamming!

So, I have big, wide feet. I generally wear a size 12 or 12.5, and always a wide. That alone limits the choices of 'off the rack' shoes I can find that are comfortable, relatively affordable and stylish. But, I have another problem, I have what I believe is referred to as a big/high instep (see picture below).

As a result, shoe shopping -- most especially for dress or business casual shoes -- has become an exhausting Goldilocks exercise. If the length is right, the width is too tight. If the length and width are just right the part of the shoe that covers my instep is too tight and wearing the shoes all days leaves me in pain. I've come to the conclusion that (a). I'm not finding 'off the rack' shoes that can work for someone with size 12 wide feet and with a high/steep instep and (b). I need to consider bespoke / custom-made shoes. I've always assumed that bespoke shoes are going to be insanely expensive, but for a good pair of work-appropriate shoes, I'm willing to pay up now.

So, any advice on one's first-time experience attempting to acquire some bespoke dress shoes (loafers and lace-ups, preferably)? What should be my realistic budget per pair of shoes? Will I be able to get anything halfway decent for less than $300? I'm not a techie, corporate lawyer or investment banker, so the idea of paying $500+ per pair of shoes is just... not reasonable for me.

Alternatively, are you a gentleman with large wide feet and a high instep? Have you found any particular 'off the rack' brands that don't squeeze your feet and which also don't look like they were prescribed by an orthopedist?
I like a more modern look for my dress / business casual shoes, as opposed to a classic 'old world' look. Think Kenneth Cole Reaction. But, at this point, I'll take what I can get.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke is more than likely out of your price range (usually around 3K plus), but i'll let better versed bespoke customers correct me if i'm wrong.

Have you looked at RTW brands that offer wide size shoes like Allen Edmonds, Alden, Crockett & Jones, Carmina, etc? As a fellow wide footed gent, I have found lasts that personally work well for me in both AE and C&J (aside from higher priced options).

It would push your budget more to the $400 price range, but it would certainly be more attainable than bespoke. I believe AE usually has sales and seconds available. Good luck.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Allen-Edmonds offers most of their styles in sizes 12 and 13 EEE, and their shoes can often be had for less that retail list, as others have pointed out. Probably your best bet.

HorseTearz

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys. I think these brands you've identified are a little too 'old world' for my style. As I said, I prefer a more modern aesthetic. I guess it makes sense that they'd be sticking with this old world aesthetic given the type of clientele for whom spending up to $1,000/pair of shoes is no big deal.

Looks like I'll have to stick with ready to wear. Certainly will still take suggestions on ready to where brands that accommodate both width and high insteps/arches and which don't look like they were styled to prevent grandpa from slipping in the kitchen, if you know what I mean.

Also, anyone have experience getting their shoes stretched? Is it really possible without damaging the shoes?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several semi-bespoke (modified last) shoe makers in Budapest that do contempo designs for much less than Western Euro makers. Both Rozsnyai and Attila will help size your feet online and over the phone (they all speak English more or less there). A pair will run more like $500 with shipping (assuming you're non-EU and don't have to pay the whopping 27% VAT). That's far less than anything in London or Paris, and amazing hand-crafted quality. Vass is the most famous Budapest shoemaker and similarly priced, but their styles are more trad.

As for shoe stretching, you can buy a stretcher on Amazon for around $20 and do it yourself. Yes, it works--but with limits, and only in width.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads