• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke cleverly shoes on ebay

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't look like they were ever worn. You wonder why someone would spend that much money for shoes he never worn. Especially when they're so beautiful, the color notwithstanding.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where have they sprung from?

The label states "Cork Street"; that's the shop old Mr Cleverley used to run from 1958-1976.
Who gets bespoke shoes, never wears them and keeps them in a cupboard for 30 or more years?

"Curioser and curioser", said Alice.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have my doubts as to that provenance.
Why would anyone counterfeit a pair of Cleverley shoes? Where's the profit in that?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Currently, a pair of new Cleverley bespoke in calf is less than $3,000 without VAT, though the "$4,000" in this listing could be eBay seller puffery.

I'm not aware of any definitive way to tell if the shoes are bespoke without seeing the writing inside, but these do not look to my eye like RTW. The way the inside of the shoe is built higher than the outside is characteristic of a bespoke shoe.

Will

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Until any of us examines the shoes, none of us can say for sure. However, I've never known this particular seller to be anything other than honest, and he certainly knows bespoke shoes when he sees them. (And no, I'm not him, and I'm not financially connected to him in any way.)

shoefan

Reaction score
Interesting auction. Â The shoes trees, with the owner's initials, would seem to connote bespoke. Â The curved, rather than rectangular, tab on the back of the shoe seems to connote RTW (at least according to the closer I spent time with). In any event, why would anyone want to spend this kind of money on shoes made for someone else? Â See also these bespoke Lobbs and Cleverleys, which sold for pretty high $. lobb bespokes Lobb bespoke 2 cleverley bespoke

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoefan (only just) beat me to it
smile.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In any event, why would anyone want to spend this kind of money on shoes made for someone else?
I'd buy them, not to wear, of course, but as examples of artistry and craftsmanship. I wouldn't spend anywhere near the kind of money that these seems to be bringing, but I'd pay something.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've got those brown Henry Maxwell cap-toes somebody posted about a month or so back (Thanks) sitting on a shelf here for that reason. Nice example of craftsmanship. I've been tempted to keep other bespoke shoes but they were worth too much so I sold them.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke Cleverly's should have the signature chisel-toe (to entice me to purchase them).

koji

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The high price gotten for these shoes is a function, IMO, of (i) very, very high retail price listed ($5000) -- who knows if the buyers know the truth, (ii) references to being bespoke, not RTW -- viewed as more of a handmade product, and (iii) good pictures. Having good feedback helps too. Notice that most new Lobbs on EBay sell for no more than $500 -- thus, this guy has done pretty well.

By the way, in the last 5 months, I have bought 3 pairs of used Lobbs on Ebay -- 1 was RTW and 2 were bespoke. In each case, the seller had done a good job of listing the shoes' exact measurements. Also, I would guess that more than 90% of people get bespoke because they can, not because they have deformed, etc. feet that would lead to the shoes being unwearable by someone else. The bespoke shoes I've found have fit amazingly well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads