• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Camera Bag: How 'Suit'-able?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I realize I already mentioned this project in another thread, but I wanted to get some specific feedback on aesthetics. The idea is to come up with something that could go well with jeans, but still be wearable with a tweed jacket or flannel suit.

Here's what I've got so far:

UpdatedCameraBag_MFAN_73012.jpg

The trim is natural cowhide leather, as will be the strap (not shown). The material for the rest of the bag is a water-resistent canvas. The hardware is nickel.

Thoughts?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I realize I already mentioned this project in another thread, but I wanted to get some specific feedback on aesthetics. The idea is to come up with something that could go well with jeans, but still be wearable with a tweed jacket or flannel suit.

this is actually an issue :confused: you use your camera that much or will you be carrying the bag regardless of your photographic itinerary?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You are a man who used "wear" in reference to a bag. Go kill yourself and come back when you are done.

Sepfooku?

this is actually an issue :confused: you use your camera that much or will you be carrying the bag regardless of your photographic itinerary?

I am almost always in a jacket, if not a suit. So, yes, I need something suitable for carrying my camera in. Particularly when traveling.

Last edited:

schrag

Reaction score
Matthew,

will it be as rigid as it looks? Any hard panels inside or will the ends and bottom be soft? I'd prefer something more malleable and narrower as having a box on a strap can be pretty annoying. What you've mocked up looks like it'll be bouncing off your body when you walk. How do you intend to attach the strap?

I use a brown tweed version of this bag from rickshaw - note how the straps are affixed to flaps and sit parallel against your body. The bag can follow the curve of your hip & back.

If not the materials, perhaps take a cue from the pattern.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

and I see you are going with the monogram too.....
why not a calf fanny pack? you can substitute it for a belt (two birds/one stone). Maybe a #8 cordo one and then never have to worry about it going with your shoes?

I get it, you don't see the point. But WTF is the point in dressing yourself up all pretty if you're going to spoil it with an ugly black polypropylene camera bag from Best Buy?

Matthew,
will it be as rigid as it looks? Any hard panels inside or will the ends and bottom be soft? I'd prefer something more malleable and narrower as having a box on a strap can be pretty annoying. What you've mocked up looks like it'll be bouncing off your body when you walk. How do you intend to attach the strap?
I use a brown tweed version of this bag from rickshaw - note how the straps are affixed to flaps and sit parallel against your body. The bag can follow the curve of your hip & back.

If not the materials, perhaps take a cue from the pattern.

It will not be that rigid, but it will certainly have a defined shape. Yes, a softer bag is more comfortable against the body, but it also needs to be much larger in profile. Notice how small this bag is. Also, a tidy form looks better.

Last edited:

schrag

Reaction score
I concur, the bag pictured is actually quite small and could be scaled down further. I was using it for a practical example on strap attachment.

Another consideration that I've seen on a lowepro bag is to have a flap that opens away from you so you're not reaching around it to get into the bag. You'd need considerably less overlap or perhaps have a lip on the top for the hardware - probably wouldn't fit with the aesthetics you have in mind though - form given more weight than function. It depends how you go about shooting I suppose, and how frequently you need to access the inside of the bag.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I get it, you don't see the point. But WTF is the point in dressing yourself up all pretty if you're going to spoil it with an ugly black polypropylene camera bag from Best Buy?

I see your point I guess my issue is how often do you carry a camera around, in particular when you are wearing a suit but if that is what you mostly wear, even on vacation, then I could see why it is worth the effort to you.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for a smaller camera -- Olympus XZ1 or Canon S95 and leave the DSL in the studio. Unless you are printing larger than 16X20 or shooting fast moving sports, you will see no difference in print quality. If I'm wearing a suit and happen upon a "Kodak Moment" one of those two high-end point-and-shoot cameras is all I need. If I'm going out on a photo shoot, I'll wear jeans and lug the heavy stuff. The small camera that is always with you is better than the heavy DLS that is not. Same holds true for concealed carry too.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd go for a smaller camera -- Olympus XZ1 or Canon S95 and leave the DSL in the studio. Unless you are printing larger than 16X20 or shooting fast moving sports, you will see no difference in print quality. If I'm wearing a suit and happen upon a "Kodak Moment" one of those two high-end point-and-shoot cameras is all I need. If I'm going out on a photo shoot, I'll wear jeans and lug the heavy stuff. The small camera that is always with you is better than the heavy DLS that is not. Same holds true for concealed carry too.

You missed the thread where :foo: got a custom film Leica.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I concur, the bag pictured is actually quite small and could be scaled down further. I was using it for a practical example on strap attachment.
Another consideration that I've seen on a lowepro bag is to have a flap that opens away from you so you're not reaching around it to get into the bag. You'd need considerably less overlap or perhaps have a lip on the top for the hardware - probably wouldn't fit with the aesthetics you have in mind though - form given more weight than function. It depends how you go about shooting I suppose, and how frequently you need to access the inside of the bag.

Also, to be quite honest, I am willing to sacrifice some comfort and utility for aesthetics. I will carry the bag when traveling and I expect to be out all day away from the hotel room. Otherwise, I will generally make do with the camera on its own, with some film in my pocket (or my wife's purse).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I carry a rangefinder, not an SLR.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a Billingham Hadley Digital. I hate it. Too bulky. This bag is designed to hold more of what I need in a more compact space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads