• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Briefcase

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ~ B ~
Thanks for the recommendation. I would have gone with Glaser were it not for their external logo and synthetic lining. This guy looks pretty intriguing.

Glaser makes bespoke bags. If you want a different lining they give you a different lining - the sailcloth is what they use to keep a bag's weight down but they are not hung up on it.

The same applies to the external logo though that takes a bit more discussion. My bag doesn't have one.

satanama

Reaction score
"engineered without regard to any budget".

You're talking of non other than Asprey, they're the ones I'd go for a bespoke briefcase if money weren't an issue.

Can we count on you to keep us posted on this? :)
biggrin.gif
redface.gif
)

Iñaki

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Valextra does bespoke? I'm pretty sure it's just made-to-order. What about Hermes? Not bespoke, but freaking awesome.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Glaser. I'm sure you can ask him to take the logo off or do a different lining (though the synthetic is far superior to suede for durability if you truly want it to be heirloom). He told me that he even made a false bottom for one customer to hide cash.

Do yourself a favor - at least call Myron Glaser and talk to him before writing him off. Explain your concerns to him and see what he has to say. I can not tell you how pleased I am with his attention to detail, care of his product, and the entire customer experience. I cannot speak to the quality of the bag as I have not received mine yet, but I can't imagine being disappointed.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Myron mentioned that non-synthetic linings were a possibility but it seemed he felt the synthetic would be best. In my mind that's a slippery slope to those nylon laptop bags that are handed out free. I can trade a little practicality for elegance. He did seem pretty insistent on the logo, which while admirable for the pride in his product it shows, runs somewhat contrary to my taste.

Yeesh, Asprey. Let's just say they've seen better times, especially after that takeover.

Not sure how you define bespoke for briefcases, but the choices were pretty wide for Valextra. They quoted me 4000~~ GBP for a remake of the discontinued Dipplomatica - a topframe briefcase akin to the SAB Whitehall, in Pergamena white with silk lining no less!

Not a fan of the Hermes briefcase aesthetic. And their bespoke might be fiscally murderous. Also their overbranding has become a tad distasteful.

Does anyone have any opinion on Berluti leather goods quality?

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What about Hermes? Not bespoke, but freaking awesome.
Hermes designers live for the bespoke commission.
The catch: the design must fall within the bounds of Hermes propriety.
Of course, that ain't much of a catch in my view.

ajv

Reaction score

Not sure how you define bespoke for briefcases, but the choices were pretty wide for Valextra. They quoted me 4000~~ GBP for a remake of the discontinued Dipplomatica - a topframe briefcase akin to the SAB Whitehall, in Pergamena white with silk lining no less!

Does anyone have any opinion on Berluti leather goods quality?

I have some Berluti leather goods, they aren't bad, but pretty pricey for being machine made.

On the other hand, Olivier de Mestral, of whom I gave you the ling in an above post would make you a briefacase to your exact desire for a price between 1'800 and 2'500 USD all made by hand with the best leathers you can imagine, like Sedgwik.

Adrian

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
I have some Berluti leather goods, they aren't bad, but pretty pricey for being machine made.

On the other hand, Olivier de Mestral, of whom I gave you the ling in an above post would make you a briefacase to your exact desire for a price between 1'800 and 2'500 USD all made by hand with the best leathers you can imagine, like Sedgwik.

Adrian

That's very reasonable when compared with the Parisien ateliers. Any reason for the lower price - less overheads in Suisse? What would he charge for exotics like shagreen (might be doing a pochette in this, not a whole bag) or ostritch?

The reason I ask about Berluti is I own a couple of their stuff, which while not massively well made, is still awe-inspiringly beautiful. I'm keen to adopt that soft, unstructured look in my bespoke piece.

Cheers for the suggestion of Olivier.

~ B ~

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're looking for it to 'last a lifetime', Glaser looks darn near bombproof. and the photos i've seen of well-used examples make it appear that they age gorgeously. i don't own an example to definitively comment though.

Hermes leather goods are obviously superlative, but they just feel too 'precious' to me to use and abuse the way i do my bags.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in his shop, Myron Glaser has some very old bags from 20 yrs ago that are just beautiful despite looking like a lawyer beat the heck out of them every day

btw, Emptyn mentioned that some norcal SF members might be interested in visiting Glaser and I'm happy to set something up

I dropped by a week or so ago to chat and he said he'd be very interested in having a group visit

on weekends, Sunday's are best (he works 7 days a week)

ajv

Reaction score
That's very reasonable when compared with the Parisien ateliers. Any reason for the lower price - less overheads in Suisse? What would he charge for exotics like shagreen (might be doing a pochette in this, not a whole bag) or ostritch?

The reason I ask about Berluti is I own a couple of their stuff, which while not massively well made, is still awe-inspiringly beautiful. I'm keen to adopt that soft, unstructured look in my bespoke piece.

Cheers for the suggestion of Olivier.

~ B ~

I think he is not as expensive as others for several reasons, he's not as well known as many others are, he only has one employee and his margins are reasonable.

I think you should just try and give him a call to discuss prices and models with him.
Just remember he is 6 hours ahead of NYC time.

Adrian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics