• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke bicycles

JL724

Reaction score

Sometimes, I post something and delete it afterwards because it is clear that the people with whom I am discussing things have read it and moved on.
So, you see, someone had read it. Just not you.

So why post on a public forum? The whole point of message boards is so that other people can read and learn.

It is really annoying to open a thread and half the posts have been deleted.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

So why post on a public forum? The whole point of message boards is so that other people can read and learn.
It is really annoying to open a thread and half the posts have been deleted so you can't learn anything.

I post in a thread if a line of discussion is interesting or amusing. I remove posts if I feel like it, particularly if the members that I'm addressing have read it and something in the post is personal.

If you want to learn something from what I've posted, there is more than enough material on StyFo to occupy your time. If you are, instead, merely annoyed, it is simple to put my username on your block list and avoid being annoyed again.

If you have something to say about nice bikes, that might make a better topic for your next post, if any, in this thread, rather than how put out you are.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I post in a thread if a line of discussion is interesting or amusing. I remove posts if I feel like it, particularly if the members that I'm addressing have read it and something in the post is personal.
If you want to learn something from what I've posted, there is more than enough material on StyFo to occupy your time. If you are, instead, merely annoyed, it is simple to put my username on your block list and avoid being annoyed again.
If you have something to say about nice bikes, that might make a better topic for your next post, if any, in this thread, rather than how put out you are.

Why don't you just give him his money back and be done with it?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back, courtesy of Monty (thank you).

Very nice bikes, and honestly, they make me wish that I'd have commissioned one when I had the chance. I haven't any bespoke bikes, partially because I couldn't justify the cost, and related, because I got into so many accidents that I couldn't justify the cost.

My poor mountain bikes, also, have taken a beating, and a few have been so badly damaged (and those things are made to take a beating) that they just needed to be scrapped. I have gravel scars over a decade old that are a testament to my foolhardy and inexpert riding. My rule is that if the bike has to go over the cliff in order for me to live, it's every bike/man for himself.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Now that the thread has been moved to parts I don't frequent, please PM me anytime you want to draw my attention back. I understand and can live with the mods' rationale for moving it, even though my intended audience was MC. It reached the right people while there.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back, courtesy of Monty (thank you).
Very nice bikes, and honestly, they make me wish that I'd have commissioned one when I had the chance. I haven't any bespoke bikes, partially because I couldn't justify the cost, and related, because I got into so many accidents that I couldn't justify the cost.
My poor mountain bikes, also, have taken a beating, and a few have been so badly damaged (and those things are made to take a beating) that they just needed to be scrapped. I have gravel scars over a decade old that are a testament to my foolhardy and inexpert riding. My rule is that if the bike has to go over the cliff in order for me to live, it's every bike/man for himself.

Hey, there comes a time in every man's life where he has to lay his bike down in the interests of self preservation. With a bespoke bike, one thinks thrice about it.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i-KCCg8VF-X2.jpg

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember Litespeed as one of the names I saw back in my msgr days, one of the makers that actually made track bikes. The fact that we used them for everything except riding on a track made those bikes exceptional. Another was the Cannondale Track. The original one in light blue with those enormous tubes and the American flag. Good times.

Montesquieu

Reaction score

Based on incomplete memory of that Litespeed frameset and the Eurus wheel decals (which predate the 2002 Eurus on my one production frameset), I'm going to guess that this is a vintage 1999-2001 bike. True? With that tubing and those trusty wheels, your bike can give many more years of happy riding. Enjoy.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You have a good eye. I had the frameset made MTO in 2004, the wheelset is the Eurus G3 from the same year. The Campy Record, Zero G brakes, and other components are 2005-ish, when I finally had it built up.

Frameset weight including the integrated headset is in the 2.7lbs territory, and is pretty stiff...I haven't kept track of how much lighter things might have gotten since then. The bike as built up is a around 15lbs...if I put climbing wheels on it, it would be UCI-illegal!

Care to guess the age of the water bottle?

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some more pics:

Bladed spoke tied and soldered to Campy track hubs, laced to Mavic Mach 2DC tubular rings. You don't see this any more.

Regina Chain, Mavic crankset, Gipiemme chainring bolts, Campy chainring

Cinelli lugset, stem & bars, Campy dropouts, Campy grouppo, elkhide bar wrap

A rare sight: Cinelli fork crown with Reynolds etching

Here you can see the Campy aero seatpost and Selle San Marco Titanio saddle

90% of this bike was bespoken by someone in England with the only markings on the frame the PO's country code scratched into the BB housing with presumably a knife, perhaps due to the very high instances of bike theft in the UK. I really wish I knew who commissioned/made this bike.

Last edited:

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on incomplete memory of that Litespeed frameset and the Eurus wheel decals (which predate the 2002 Eurus on my one production frameset), I'm going to guess that this is a vintage 1999-2001 bike.

Can't answer re FC's frameset, but Ms. Trix rides a Litespeed from 1999, and, but for some wear and tear on the decals, it looks and rides like the day it was born. Her only complaint, periodically, is that she is tired of the color. That, and when I call it a circus bike due to the compact geometry and 650 wheels needed for her own diminutive frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads