Bespoke bicycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Montesquieu, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You must be the guy that got hold of the Delta set that worked. Legend has it that one was produced, but until now, the actual location of the working pair was unknown. I am proud that they are in the hands of a SF member rather than on display in the underwater lair of a Chinese oligarch.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

I like the fact that the terraplane frame felt the need to paint them like they were lugged. Steelman cycles produces some seriously badass lugged frames.

[​IMG]

Hot.

And they're steel. Still the best frame material, with the possible exception of carbon.

3. Montesquieu

Montesquieu Senior member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

4. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Either way, nice touch. Like it. Something about a lugged frame...

5. rikod

rikod Senior member

Great bikes Montesquieu, I love bikes and have a couple of custom made. I like modern geometry.

Serotta Legend Titanium custom SE, made by Serotta in Saratoga Springs NY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Independent Fabrication SSR stainless steel, custom made in Somerville, Ma. The guys there were great just as Serotta's. Very special bike to me and have the name of my kids in each side of the TT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is not custom but it's kind of MTO :) , it's a proyect one carbon Trek Madone 6.9 made in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Very eficient and light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is me riding the Serotta, sorry for the long post, I love this subject.

[​IMG]

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Yes I am. The key to making them work is to be a slow cyclist.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

looks like you took some routes in Austria?

8. JL724

JL724 Senior member

Unfortunately Serotta is under new ownership. I have not heard good things since the company changed hands.

9. Montesquieu

(to F. Corbera)

Please do share your Lemond frame. I'm a big fan of his, partly because of how he rode, and partly because of his contentious advocacy for clean cycling.

Rebadged frames, like Lemond's Calfee, are some of the most interesting in the Tour's history. Here's a blurb from Cyclingnews about Miguel Indurain's Pegoretti:

"1994 would be the last year the Tour de France was won on a steel bike, this time an Oria-tubed, TIG-welded machine badged as a Pinarello but rumored to have been made under contract by legendary Italian builder Dario Pegoretti. According to Pinarello, Indurain always rode a 59cm-square frame geometry, but this particular version boasted a top tube that was dropped by 2cm to create a smaller and more compact front triangle, the aim being increased stiffness."

Lest anyone think steel disappeared last century, know that Tom Boonen won the 2007 TdF green jersey on a rebadged steel Pegoretti Marcelo. From cyclingart.blogspot:

"At the 2007 Tour de France, Tom Boonen rode a Pegoretti Marcello badged under Specialized to win two stages and the coveted green jersey. Which goes to show that his bikes are still sought after and won on. And you gotta love the way that these frames are lovingly & meticulously hand built. And the names are catchy and enduring; Responsorium Ciavete,(I don't give a [email protected]!), Big Leg Mama (from a Frank Zappa song), Marcelo, Love #3, Duende, Luigino, Wild Women don't get the blues & 8:30 (aluminum). His inspiration... he listens to some of his favorite's; Pink Floyd, John Coltrane and Ravel's Bolero. Dario Pegoretti is a self made artistic scribe of the bike. A unique innovator. His frame's are made for a lifetime. Come to think of it... any of his stunning frame's I wouldn't mind owning!"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

you named the picture zell am see - f├╝gen. enjoy it. :happy:

11. Montesquieu

Fillet brazing by Dave Kirk, former head frame builder at Serotta and one of the world's best, on my wife's bike:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

12. rikod

rikod Senior member

Hi, I didn't know that, it's been some time since I visited the Serotta forum, that's a shame if true, what have you heard? I googled it and found out that the new ownership took over in June 2012 so it's a very short time. Mine it's 3 years old now, they really did a great job, it's my favorite bike and the guys at Racer's Edge in Boca are tops.

Cheers

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Awesome bikes. :slayer:

14. braised

braised Senior member

Here is a custom Bilenky out of Bill Barker's shop in Winchester VA. It's a steel bike, very forgiving and direct.

Braised

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like this thread because it reminds me that my bicycle purchase was not insane (a Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen). And the bikes are beautiful. The Museum of Art and Design in NY did a great exhibit on custom bikes - I remember a Vanilla, in particular, that was beautiful. I will see if I can find something on it.