• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke and the Economy

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Please insist on lapel buttonholes, both sides, and not those keyholes they put on everything else. Straight, like Godly fornication.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Hmm. He didn't say so directly, but his initial suggestion was a peak lapel SB. I had to push a little to get a shawl lapel DB with shirt sleeve shoulders. The one thing he definitively nixed was black trim.

eek.gif

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Please insist on lapel buttonholes, both sides, and not those keyholes they put on everything else. Straight, like Godly fornication.

- B

Said like a man who does not know what a good buttonhole looks like.
devil.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
eek.gif

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
this is gonna be awesome, i look forward to the pics!

Shock and Awe. My spalla camicia will be the life of every party.

No way, man. I'm going with the full Napoli: shirt sleeve shoulders, full-length front darts, and uncastrated lapel buttonholes.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but his initial suggestion was a peak lapel SB. I had to push a little to get a shawl lapel DB with shirt sleeve shoulders. The one thing he definitively nixed was black trim.

Hmmm, daring. What were your thoughts behind shawl and shirt sleeves shoulder versus what he recommended?

- M

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Said like a man who does not know what a good buttonhole looks like.
devil.gif

I like the keyhole on la vera Napolitana stuff, but I think they would suck on a DB shawl dinner jacket. This is because lapel buttonholes in a shawl collar are completely wrong...but made completely right through the objective of wearing a buttonhole (parse that n00bs.) - B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Hmmm, daring. What were your thoughts behind shawl and shirt sleeves shoulder versus what he recommended?

I wanted something a little more daring and dashing than the standard peak lapel SB dinner suit and a little more different from a standard lounge suit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Daring and dash are the man, not the clothes.

- B

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Counting makes me nervous! Had my first fitting with Solito/Ambrosi yesterday.
inlove.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

A benign arms race, to be sure B.

Foregoing price and bespoke, I have a better suit to shoe ratio than you do
laugh.gif

Now, if you get 100 more suits in the pipeline, we'll talk turkey.

I get the feeling that Vox is an old fashioned staunch New Englander. I bet he might only have 100 pair of shoes or less
laugh.gif
devil.gif

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is not a big fan of shawl, is he?

I'm surprised because I imagine a shawl lapel going really well with Rubinacci's soft tailoring.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Daring and dash are the man, not the clothes.

The clothes need to match the man. Hence, the daring, dashing shawl-lapelled DB dinner jacket with sexy-hot keyhole lapel buttonholes.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted something a little more daring and dashing than the standard peak lapel SB dinner suit and a little more different from a standard lounge suit.

Yes I can see DB shawl as daring, but to my eyes shawl is less "dashing" than peak lapels. Peaks dash upward to say "Ta Da! Here's my face!" while shawls draw downward to say "I am subtly elegant." I keep thinking of Bogart's downtrodden face going well with a shawl lapel dinner jacket. That said, surmising your persona from this forum, I think you chose perfectly for yourself.

I do not know about the shirt sleeves shoulders though, it may lessen the purported formality of the outfit. But then, it is your dinner jacket and trousers. I am now curious to see it when it is done (and if it is done faster than usual).

- M

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
I'm surprised because I imagine a shawl lapel going really well with Rubinacci's soft tailoring.
I think it would as well, but when I asked, he spat on the ground. Maybe he didn't think I was dashing enough to pull it off.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it would as well, but when I asked, he spat on the ground. Maybe he didn't think I was dashing enough to pull it off.

I may not have heard the spitting over the phone.

Originally Posted by mmkn
I do not know about the shirt sleeves shoulders though, it may lessen the purported formality of the outfit.

We'll see. The effect has never been that distracting to my eyes, but it's always a little different, too.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way you are writing about it I would say Mariano pinned you perfectly. By the way Matt F. is able to get his, I would also say that Mariano pinned him pefectly. A compliment to Mariano, really.

- M

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Foregoing price and bespoke, I have a better suit to shoe ratio than you do
laugh.gif
Now, if you get 100 more suits in the pipeline, we'll talk turkey. I get the feeling that Vox is an old fashioned staunch New Englander. I bet he might only have 100 pair of shoes or less
laugh.gif
devil.gif

I counted my Aldens earlier...25 pairs. My family always considered themselves from Massachusetts, even though they spent about 60 years despoiling Michigan farmers and other honest flyover country folk. My father devoted his life to (1) finding and killing Communists and (2) recreating the family fortuneillegally. I'm pretty much the first angel in the family since we arrived on the Mayflower. Thank Adumla that my wife comes from a family of British scientists (her great grandfather co-discovered the elements neon, xenon, and krypton,) or else my boy would have a huge familial disadvantage. - B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads