• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besnard - Official Affiliate Thread

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promised to provide a bit of background about the different products in our collection.

Today, I want to explain a bit about our tailored trousers; the cut, the details and materials.

View attachment 1767501

The cut
Back in the day, bespoke tailors would cut their customers’ trousers – and sport coats – with a clear sense of proportion and drape. The most noticeable difference between this traditional cut and contemporary fashion is probably the waist.

We prefer a high rise to sit at the natural waist. A high waist accentuates the narrowest part of the body and visually lengthens the legs, leading to a more masculine sense of proportion. It also looks better with tailoring, as the top of the waistband is close to the button stance of a sport coat.

View attachment 1767505

With opted for single reverse pleats that allow for a clean lined drape to the hem. The trousers are slightly tapered towards the bottom, giving them an elegant yet modern appearance.

The hems of our trousers are left unfinished, so that you can have them tailored to your own sartorial preference. We generally recommend a turn-up of 2 inches. A turn-up adds a bit of extra weight at the bottom of the trousers, improving the drape of the leg.

The details
The side adjusters eliminate the need for a belt, resulting in a clean line and silhouette. Our buckles come from the same British company that is also trusted by some of the famous tailors on Savile Row.

View attachment 1767507

Another detail worthy of note is the traditional button fly. This is rarely used outside bespoke tailoring and is a true nod to the classical trousers made by Albert Besnard more than a century ago.

Fabric & Materials
We aim to use only natural materials in our products, therefore genuine horn was an obvious choice for the buttons. We opted for a classic shape made from high quality buffalo horn. The horn was slightly buffed to achieve a clean and elegant look.

View attachment 1767508

Our tailored trouser is currently available in a flannel by Fox Brothers, flannel by Vitale Barberis Canonico, and Fresco by Hardy Minnis.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

I’ll be purchasing one of your trousers soon (office reopening!).

Also, it’s at a great price point.

Do you recommend sizing up? For example, I’m a 32, would a 34 work better in terms of drape?

And button flys are a nice touch. Are the trousers mainly machine made, or hand made (or somewhere in between)?

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’ll be purchasing one of your trousers soon (office reopening!).

Also, it’s at a great price point.

Do you recommend sizing up? For example, I’m a 32, would a 34 work better in terms of drape?

And button flys are a nice touch. Are the trousers mainly machine made, or hand made (or somewhere in between)?

I'd say our trousers fit true to size. Especially if you're used to Italian brands.
When in doubt between sizes, I recommend sizing up. In case of an exchange, it's usually because a customer want to try a larger size.

If you have a measuring tape, you could compare a pair of well-fitting trousers to our size chart below.

Size Guide_Trousers.JPG

Alternatively, you can look for a size chart online of trousers of another brand you own.

The trousers are mainly machine made. We explored adding some handmade steps such as travetti (bar tacks) or buttonholes, but we believe the benefits did not outweigh the price increase.

If you have any other questions or if you need some measurements that are not provided in the size chart, let me know.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I promised to provide a bit of background about the different products in our collection.

Today, I want to explain a bit about our tailored trousers; the cut, the details and materials.

View attachment 1767501

The cut
Back in the day, bespoke tailors would cut their customers’ trousers – and sport coats – with a clear sense of proportion and drape. The most noticeable difference between this traditional cut and contemporary fashion is probably the waist.

We prefer a high rise to sit at the natural waist. A high waist accentuates the narrowest part of the body and visually lengthens the legs, leading to a more masculine sense of proportion. It also looks better with tailoring, as the top of the waistband is close to the button stance of a sport coat.

View attachment 1767505

With opted for single reverse pleats that allow for a clean lined drape to the hem. The trousers are slightly tapered towards the bottom, giving them an elegant yet modern appearance.

The hems of our trousers are left unfinished, so that you can have them tailored to your own sartorial preference. We generally recommend a turn-up of 2 inches. A turn-up adds a bit of extra weight at the bottom of the trousers, improving the drape of the leg.

The details
The side adjusters eliminate the need for a belt, resulting in a clean line and silhouette. Our buckles come from the same British company that is also trusted by some of the famous tailors on Savile Row.

View attachment 1767507

Another detail worthy of note is the traditional button fly. This is rarely used outside bespoke tailoring and is a true nod to the classical trousers made by Albert Besnard more than a century ago.

Fabric & Materials
We aim to use only natural materials in our products, therefore genuine horn was an obvious choice for the buttons. We opted for a classic shape made from high quality buffalo horn. The horn was slightly buffed to achieve a clean and elegant look.

View attachment 1767508

Our tailored trouser is currently available in a flannel by Fox Brothers, flannel by Vitale Barberis Canonico, and Fresco by Hardy Minnis.

Curious to hear your thoughts!
The quality looks fantastic, but the leg opening is just far too narrow for me personally.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw some DB posted on IG but don't see any DB in store, is there any plan for DB and what configuration (6x2, 6x1, 4x2, 4x1?)

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The quality looks fantastic, but the leg opening is just far too narrow for me personally.

That's unfortunate. I am considering developing a wider model in the future, with slightly different details.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your size and preferred leg opening?

Stylewords

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I am considering developing a wider model in the future, with slightly different details.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your size and preferred leg opening?
I normally wear a 34 or 50 and prefer an opening of around 8 1/2 inches for dress trousers. Of course this is a constant debate here and everyone is different. There are other brands (which I won't name) that have a range of cuts, but to get anything close to the opening I prefer I need to get the option with four pleats (I exaggerate). I would prefer a flat front or 1-pleat model with a wider opening and I don't think I'm alone.

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I normally wear a 34 or 50 and prefer an opening of around 8 1/2 inches for dress trousers. Of course this is a constant debate here and everyone is different. There are other brands (which I won't name) that have a range of cuts, but to get anything close to the opening I prefer I need to get the option with four pleats (I exaggerate). I would prefer a flat front or 1-pleat model with a wider opening and I don't think I'm alone.

Thank you for your input. I'll keep it in mind.

Perhaps, it's worth initiating a poll someday to explore the demand of different models.

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I saw some DB posted on IG but don't see any DB in store, is there any plan for DB and what configuration (6x2, 6x1, 4x2, 4x1?)

I sometimes use items from my own wardrobe to illustrate how pieces can be styled. And this double-breasted jacket is my own I'm afraid.

For the past twelve months, we've been working on a single-breasted sport coat, where we developed the pattern from scratch. The first jacket will be introduced next month.

Double-breasted is definitely something we have on our minds, but we want to do it properly and this will take time. So I cannot give you a date just yet.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. I'll keep it in mind.

Perhaps, it's worth initiating a poll someday to explore the demand of different models.
It's tough to judge without trying them on first, but that size chart is right in line with what most brands are doing. Maybe a tad slimmer than the 'middle of the road' but not way slimmer (I'm looking at my size, 52; I'd maybe add 1cm to the bottom width but that's pretty subtle.).

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to this. The trousers do look great for RTW, but I'd think at the bare minimum I'd want a 1/2" added to the leg opening...and likely closer to a full 1" to get to 8.5" on a 50.
I'm also partial to no buttons on rear pockets (the ideal is no rear pockets whatsoever), however that would not be a deal breaker for me.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea leg opening is definitely too tight for my taste I have to say

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also think the leg opening is too tapered. For the size 52, I would prefer 8.25" to 8.5" and would not be mad at up to 9".

I like a nice break and don't like to show socks when standing/walking.

I find most IG/internet brands cut the trousers with way too much taper below the knees.

Camerashy

Reaction score
You have some very nice items on your website, could I ask if the Fall/Winter 2021 tan POW sports jacket has now been discontinued please.
Do you deliver to the U.K. please…..ah just seen us under Rest of the World.

Last edited:

pendragon

Reaction score
+1 for a minimum 8" leg width.
Also not a fan of self adjusting; prefer a belt.
And hate button flies.

Other than that...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well that’s how you can’t please everyone I suppose I definitely prefer self adjusting over belt…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads