1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Berwick 1707 Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by REguy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. REguy

REguy Senior member

I saw this brand profiled on Justin's "Shoe Snob" site and can't find much info on them. They appear to be reasonably well made at a fair price. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they the next Meermin? Discuss.

2. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Senior member

Well, from my quick clicking around, a prime difference seems to be lack of prices and an inability to buy the shoes online. Am I missing something on the site?

They look nice, but I think it'd be hard to compare them to Meermin w/o prices...

3. meister

meister Senior member

They are Portuguese and are sold Down Under by a seller in Neutral Bay in Sydney. Solid Goodyear shoes leather quality AE standard maybe less reasonable quality lower end suede. Unspectacular styles with none of the Meermin or Carmina vibe.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

Apologies for bumping a slightly old thread, but I picked up a pair of their brogue boots the other day in a discount store for £104.

Initially, I thought they might be Loakes - the style and quality feels around that level (and the look is very like a Loake Burford or Wolf), but (on this showing) at a slightly lower price. Nothing special, but a solid value item, supple rather than cardboardy uppers, and quite presentable, especially in a casual boot where fineness of last, detailing and finishing may matter less than on a dress shoe. I cannot judge their longeviety, of course, nor how well the leather will age, take a shine, or patinate.

One note of caution on sizes. My (rather narrow) foot takes a 9.5 in EGs, C&J, Church, and occasionally a 9 on the longest EG last (the 888). The Berwicks in 9.5 were huge on me, and I ended up with 8.5s, which, while comfortable (worn all day today), are far from too snug and have easily enough space for thick winter socks.

They may have revamped the website, and appear to be from Spain:

http://berwickshoes.com/en/

5. e8487

e8487 Member

Actually this brand comes from a long tradition of shoemakers from Almansa ( Albacete, Spain) one of the remarked places in Spain for shoes. They have two ranges of shoes (Goodyear Welted and Premium Grade) and very good value for their price. Building up their brand internationally.

6. minervau

minervau Senior member

Prices for each collection?

7. e8487

e8487 Member

I paid a visit last Tuesday. Besides special prices you can normally get prices around 130-150€ for the GW and around 200€ for PG.
    You can also see here some price samples and online GW offers
    http://www.kukimba.com/marcas-de-zapatos/berwick-85
    Good value!

8. e8487

e8487 Member

I found yesterday at Madrid (Jorge Juan Street) store some of their bigger size models ( beyond 10/44) between 95 and 105€.I've just bought through Kukimba the model 3707 at 115€ (front price: 165€). I love wholecuts....although with a subtle brogueing in this case!
    http://www.kukimba.com/p/zapatos-de-vestir/berwick/3701-128273

9. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I've seen shoes by this brand and IMHO they need to do some serious work on their lasts...

10. e8487

e8487 Member

These are my first Berwick, I've read a lot about them in several forums. Whatdo you exacty mean for "serious work on their lasts"? Thanks for the feedback!

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

They're just a bit ugly, IMO. Reminds me of cheaper shoes.