Bernie Sanders, trad icon?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Feb 7, 2016.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

At leas by politician standards: OCBDs, repp ties, 3-button suits. Sometimes. Could be worse.

2. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I'm going to dial my response right up to a 10. This thread is doomed!

3. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Isn't any thread that's not about buying stuff doomed?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Some of his ties are bad, but overall much better than the standard shiny solid IMHO. It works for him bc the OCBD and pattern tie go along with his whole forgetful and disheveled professor vibe. I don't think any of the Rs could pull off the same thing. Maybe Rand, he's got a little of the crazyhair thing going on.

5. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Zayde chic?

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Sadly, yes. Now to find another applicable Larry David bit that works as a reply.

7. PaintSplattered

PaintSplattered Senior member

Bumping this because I think it's worthy of discussion. I'll try to keep political discussion out of it or to a minimum, but I'm interested in politics so some might slip out.

I think Bernie's vibe works for him because he seems comfortable in his clothing. As far a him being a Trad Icon, I can't comment, because I'm not well versed in the Traditional or Ivy look.

I think some politicians try to look like their idea of "the common man" by wearing ill fitting suits that look like they pulled them straight off the rack, skipping alterations or even looking in a mirror. They are not common people and they fool no one, and still look weird and uncomfortable. Bernie looks better than that, in my opinion. Maybe sloppy, at times, but still better.

I remember seeing Roger Wicker give a speech in the Senate wearing a seersucker suit. I looked it up to make sure I was remembering correctly, and apparently it's a summertime tradition in the Senate. Started by Trent Lott, of all people. There are Senators I've seen wearing lighter brown suits, which isn't common at all from what I've seen.

Back to Bernie; with his OCBDs he looks better than people putting on sweaters and workwear, trying to fit in.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016