• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bernie Maddoff Trench coat

sanwald_wind

Reaction score
Does by any chance someone know what brand his trench coat is in this picture? Or does anyone know a similar model?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to say for sure without a full length shot but looks like a balmacaan coat. Note the raglan sleeves and the plain front.
here’s one:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bal coats are generally made from some kind of woolen. That looks like a black mac raincoat. You can generally find them from any company that sells raincoats -- Burberry, Mackintosh, Aquascutum, etc.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking Mac at first but don’t those usually have set-in sleeves? At least the ones made by Mackintosh do. Anyhow the bal coat I linked is not wool.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was thinking Mac at first but don’t those usually have set-in sleeves? At least the ones made by Mackintosh do. Anyhow the bal coat I linked is not wool.
I think Anglo Italian mislabeled that coat. Not unusual for people to have different names for the same design, as these things aren't set in stone. But if I saw that on the street, I would not call it a bal.

I don't think sleeve design is critical to a mac. I think a mac is basically a smooth, single-breasted raincoat. Bals are typically made from a rough woolen cloth and worn for hunting.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe this is all semantics because I think Bernie's coat is kind of neither.
In any case, to be helpful to the OP, here's another coat:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I again think we're often too agnostic on this side of the board. The OP should just not buy a raincoat that looks like that, as it looks bad.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.