• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bernhard Roetzel book

Nonk

Reaction score
In case any members are interested in this book, which I have found hard to find and expensive (one used copy recently went for around £30 on Ebay) they should try TM Lewin, Jermyn Street. The have a large stock of new copies, which along with all their stock they are selling at half price in their sale. I got a copy last week for a very reasonable £10.

A possible ebay "flipping" opportunity for someone perhaps?

Reaction score
Do you recommend Roetzel's book? How does it compare to Flusser's Dressing the Man?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a great book. The two books are complementary. You will not regret owning both, especially not at that price.

Nonk

Reaction score
Roetzel's book does not go into such depth around the history of style, the origins of specific items, or focus on widely heralded individuals in the way Flusser does. Instead it is full of recommendations for brands and manufacturers, and would be especially interesting to someone making their first trip to Savile Row or Jermyn Street, as it has write-ups on the main players. While giving it's primary focus to these locations, it does give space to a wider world view, so Italian suits, Hungarian shoes, etc. are all covered. (He does seem to be sponsored by Church's though)

I found it a very enjoyable read, and certainly well worth investing £10 in to add to my collection.

Perhaps more for beginners like me than the more knowledgeable members of the forum.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with Manton. It is an essential compliment to Flusser's book.

My wife bought me one of the Lewin copies for Christmas this year. They are a new printing (2004) but the information is not up to date. I don't have it at hand and can't recall some of the errors, but there are a few. Still, very enjoyable.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well worth having. More discussion of appropriate brands (particularly if you're a traditional English gentleman-e.g. Winston Churchill's spotted bowties were from Turnbull & Asser) than in Flusser's latest. The shoe section, particularly which shoe styles work better with particular fabrics and styles, is useful but may seem too rigid for some of us. But see the black tassel loafers with a Prince of Wales check (p 189) - Kidkim2 was right. Church's apparently gave Mr. Roetzel access to its factory and its models, but Roetzel's perhaps overly grateful ranking of Church's quality as superior to Edward Green and John Lobb (page 103) would cause an uproar if posted on this forum.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Borders or B&N reprints.  Red, reinforced, Paperback cover.  It's a nice book to have, although a little rigid.  Like Stylestudent and Nonk point out, Church's gets a significant amount of play in the book, but this is the pre-Prada Church, and I have no experience with anything from back then.

Walked by the Churchs store in D.C. a few days ago - not intentionally -  I was walking from Foggy Bottom to the Filene's and Brooks Brothers on Connecticut Avenue.  The shoes did look a little "plasticky".

Edit: Corrected statement attributions

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just passed up buying that book for $15.00 this weekend. If anyone is in the Rhinebeck, NY area there is an antique store that is selling it. So stupid.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was on sale on Amazon.com a couple years ago.

I even gave my bespoke tailor a copy as a gift.

MPS

Reaction score
Roetzel's book is not like Flusser's in the the former is actually useful.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
It was on sale on Amazon.com a couple years ago. I even gave my bespoke tailor a copy as a gift.
Strange, I gave a copy to my tailor 6-8 months ago. Lot of people, including me, reviewed the book at http://www.amazon.com/exec....1311305 If I could find another copy at a good price, I would send it to Ernest, a big Church's fan.

bryce330

Reaction score
Roetzel's book is not like Flusser's in the the former is actually useful.
Agreed - the Roetzel book is far better (both broader and more in depth) than anything by Flusser.

I bought my copy at Barnes & Noble for $9.95 about two years ago and I have seen other copies in the bargain section from time to time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads