1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Berluti or John Lobb? Pewter patina or Fumo?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lasbar, Oct 15, 2006.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

There is little more heart-wrenching than paying a lot for something and finding out later it's crap. But this is pretty common across trades.
    jaguar

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Thank you for your comments...
    I like Berluti for the patina but as rightly said above, the quality of the leather and the Blakegate is starting to annoy me...
    Once again, the power of the brand has played on my mind!!!!
    I also enjoy the more direct and somewhat friendlier approach of the Jermyn Street John Lobb team.
    You can have a chat with them and asking for advice without having a servile and snobish sales assistant telling you how lucky you're to buy their shoes!!!!
    I was torn between JL et Berluti but to be fair , my heart was already on a pair of Beckett in pewter museum...
    The manager is also offering me a pair of 2004 in pewter (not pewter museum)....
    She told me that the patina is quite different,the Pewter being more greyish than the Pewter museum....

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

??? I have never encountered that with Berluti. The folks in the London and Milan stores are as genuine and nice as can be.

4. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

I mix it up with Saphir's gray, black and dark brown.

sorry! wax or cream? or both

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

sorry! wax or cream? or both

My bad. I use both wax and cream though mostly wax.

6. Sator

Sator Senior member

Blake construction can still be a quality shoe as both Santoni and Berluti show

I knew their were more reasons to avoid both of these labels like the plague [​IMG]

7. Sator

Sator Senior member

Once again, the power of the brand has played on my mind!!!!
    I also enjoy the more direct and somewhat friendlier approach of the Jermyn Street John Lobb team.
    You can have a chat with them and asking for advice without having a servile and snobish sales assistant telling you how lucky you're to buy their shoes!!!!
    I was torn between JL et Berluti but to be fair , my heart was already on a pair of Beckett in pewter museum...
    The manager is also offering me a pair of 2004 in pewter (not pewter museum)....
    She told me that the patina is quite different,the Pewter being more greyish than the Pewter museum....

Hurray, quality wins over the power of advertising and superficially polished brand image!!!! [​IMG]

8. Artisan Fan

Well I guess Sator does not own any bespoke Berluti shoes then.

[​IMG]

9. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i have never had any issue with blake constucted shoes i think it is down to what you wear them for! i guess i should play soccer any more in them just in case"[​IMG]

10. Sator

Sator Senior member

Well I guess Sator does not own any bespoke Berluti shoes then.

[​IMG]

Are we comparing John Lobb RTW with Berluti bespoke now? I thought we were comparing like with like. Given the choice I would go to the London JL store and order JL bespoke any day.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

It's really down to individual tastes. I managed to get some more window shopping done, this time in Central, Hong Kong and found out that there's a John Lobb (where there used to be a cake shop) and a Berluti close by too. I have a couple of JLs but no Berluti's, and at this moment in time, I'd veer towards a pair of Berluti's for their colour and cut (I've no idea of the relative construction quality).

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Do not get me wrong ,they're quite nice (Vidal for example)at Berluti Conduit Street but they're not as welcoming and relaxed as the JL Jermyn street team (Andreas and Emmanuelle).....
    Once again ,we're reaching the sphere of emotion and interpersonal relationships opened to interpretation......
    As customer ,we're sensitive and responsive to different stimuli,behaviour and it's nearly impossible to provide everybody with the ideal service...
    Some people prefer a very conservative customer service ,others prefer a more personal approach...
    I'm not at all into the "Oh,Suit you Sir" approach and i'm finding extremely painful to stick to a certain etiquette which is a challenge for certain sales assistant (or now sales consultant !!!!!)...
    I tend unfortunately to be quite friendly (i'm not a sex pest!!!)and sometimes a bit unconventional...
    I do like to get a real advice ,a person with knowledge and a sense of taste on which i can rely on in moments of doubt.....
    I do like Andreas because we can have honest debate regarding some models...

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

not as welcoming and relaxed as the JL Jermyn street team (Andreas and Emmanuelle).....

Emmanulle is amazing. She has flawlessly handled several overseas orders for me with absolute professionalism and graciousness.

14. Artisan Fan

Try one for a casual shoe, I think you will be pleased. [​IMG]

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Artisan , i do not do casual and i'm not trying to be posh or snob.....
    I 'm not trying to make a social statement but i have a real distate for casual clothes....Must be something from my past as it is fashionable to admit today...
    My brother used to laugh at me ,calling me Brummel....
    I must have looked so stupid sometimes but i always try to be myself ..
    I have always hated casual clothes since my early teens and especially chinos ,combat trousers and track suits ....
    I hate Timberland ,Schott , Tommy H and all this tats..
    For me ,casual will be a good pair of shoes ,a pair of jeans and a tailored shirt..