1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Berlin

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SoCal2NYC, Dec 22, 2009.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Would this:

http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.d...0-01-23-20-00/

Imply that the entire 128 person philharmonic orchestra is playing with the guest violinist?
    If I go I want to see the whole thing and not a solo concerto.

Haitink and BPO. Should be a fantastic concert. The Bartok is a masterpiece. And yes, it'll be the full Berlin Phil. I don't know the Kurtag piece, but the Brahms and Bartok? [​IMG]

And Zimmermann is a superb violinist.

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Well now I'm excited!

3. makker

makker Senior member

Top places for partying in Berlin? Hows Berghain & Panorama Bar, Watergate, Weekend Club, Sage Club, Splindler & Katt, CSA bar, etc..

4. chroMe

chroMe Senior member

berlin is my fav city at the momento.

food: whitetrashfastfood - a few friends have gigged there and was lucky enough to see them in action.

shopping in and around mitte: 16oz, burg und schilde, numerous smaller shops. there's a galeries lafayette but no where as near stocked as the one in paris. KaDeWe & peek und kloppenburg are worth a look and you get the higher end shops around the area.

Kreuzberg for the bars

stay: hotel bambi

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Fucking Amazing
    more/few pics to come
    Haha ChroMe my last night there I ended up at White Trash Fast Food...so much fun!!

6. makker

makker Senior member

What are the best places for shopping in Berlin? I'm not looking for second-class clothing, more like the standard high-end brands and stuff, clothing which Zara for example has, so not too expensive.

Also, I need places to eat which could hit a Zagat but not too pricey either. I'm staying in Mitte.

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

It's sometimes hard for me to think about "Berlin" without conjuring up Mike Myers' Saturday Night Live character, Dieter (the host of "Sprockets"). Like Dieter ("I find your agony delicious"), Reed seeks -- and finds, in abundance -- the beauty in pain and despair on this unforgettable album.

"Berlin" is all about darkness and decadence, though not the kind Lou Reed explored on "Transformer", his previous release. Rather than continuing with that disc's celebration of camp fruitery, "Berlin" takes a major turn onto seriously grim sidestreets littered with broken souls. A conceptual meditation on feelings most of us would rather not acknowledge, "Berlin" is a bitter narrative about the cruelty people can inflict on each other in the supposedly safe confines of a relationship.

The most amazing thing about "Berlin", however, isn't the subject matter, it's the music. Producer Bob Ezrin assembled an array of the era's most talented musicians (including Steve Winwood, Jack Bruce, Aynsley Dunbar and Tony Levin) and embroidered the album with lush, breathtaking string and wind orchestrations. The music and lyrics offset each other in stark contrast, much the same way a German expressionist film utilizes black and white.

Throughout, Reed delivers his trademark off-key vocals with a more pronounced sense of detachment than is usual even for him; on "Berlin" he's not so much an impartial observer, but a willing accomplice to the proceedings who angrily refuses to do anything about the destiny unfolding before him.

"Berlin" has been blasted as the ultimate downer of Reed's career -- quite an accomplishment, given the breadth of his depressive catalogue. Which is fair enough, for the faint of heart. For the rest of us, "Berlin" is a groundbreaking masterpiece.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I am headed back to Berlin this coming January for Bread & Butter and other things.

Anyone there, around, know of something worth checking out?

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

The Neues Museum opened within the last year or so if you haven't been.

[​IMG]

10. sandberg

sandberg New Member

Going in February, need a suit. Peek & Cloppenburg surely, but any other ideas? I have time constraints so won't have time for "take a walk around [__] area, nice boutiques there".

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

HOw timely, I may be in Berlin for a few nights in mid March. Will post questions when the trip is coming up.

12. Sander

Sander Senior member

Going in February, need a suit. Peek & Cloppenburg surely, but any other ideas? I have time constraints so won't have time for "take a walk around [__] area, nice boutiques there".

Have a look at Chelsea Farmer's Club:
    Chelsea Farmer's Club
    Bleibtreustraße 40
    10623 Berlin

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Ok flight to Zurich booked for March 11. Would like to be in Berlin for a few nights maybe 15-18. Lay it on me. Bars, neighborhoods, stores to check out? I'm interested in picking up interesting casual clothes (t-shirts, light and heavier casual jackets, accessories, etc.) and maybe dressier things (overcoat, leather accessories). I rarely buy things full prices so thrift stores, vintage shops and good stores that may have sales would be great.

I hear they have a great Natural History Museum. Any other history/antiquities related spots to check out? Anything trendy? Online magazines or resources that could point me to interesting events going on that may not be known to tourists would be a big help.

Thanks. Will post anything I find that catches my eye in the coming days.

By the way, suggestions for nice hostels or cheap hotels to stay in? I've found Circus the Hostel/Hotel which seems to get good ratings...

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I hear they have a great Natural History Museum. Any other history/antiquities related spots to check out? Anything trendy? Online magazines or resources that could point me to interesting events going on that may not be known to tourists would be a big help.

Pargamon museum is a must

15. foulard

foulard Senior member

I was there on business in November 2010 for two weeks. Take note.

Stay in Mitte, preferrably the Hilton hotel which is in Gendarmenmarkt (where the twin Hugonot buildings are). There is a great club under the hilton itself which has various fetish nights so be prepared by asking in advance if its just a normal night or Rubber underpants as standard.

But the best club, by far, is Felix which is under the old and famous Adlon Hotel (the entrance is in the back lane) but the main part of the hotel is right next to the Brandenburg Gate on the Unter Der Linden. Fassbender chocolate shop next to the the hilton is a revelation. There is another great bar near the hilton called the Newton bar and accross the road is a great old fashioned German restaurant called Lutter & Wegner where they have some of the best food in Germany.

As for shopping, its all the usual Euro store setups that you'd expect. BUT there is a must see place. Its a hunting shop where they sell those old fashioned German/Austrian style country/hunting tunics. Keep looking in the shop and you get to a fabulous armoury selling great rifles and even ww2 vintage Gewehr types. Absolute gold. The name of the place is Frankonia and its on the Friedrickstrasse.

If you want to know anything else let me know.

16. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

kufurstendamm is the street to go shopping, it also has a nice bowling alley if youre into that!!

17. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Got back from Berlin on Friday but returned from Europe on Sunday. Berlin was sick, sick, sick. Too bad it was cold, wet and overcast all three days. Anyway will post some pictures and impressions when I have more time tonight.

18. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I forget, is "sick" good or bad?

19. West24

West24 Senior member

sick is good lol. yeah berlin is wild for partying and is probably one of the most liberal cities in the world. though they may try a little hard showing just how liberal they are. the parties are wild and it has one of the biggest street art scenes in the world. i stayed at some hostels right by wanchester station and they have a whole bunch of abandoned factories that turn into clubs just over the bridge. berlin is all about factory, abandoned building partying etc.

20. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yeah so I hear. I stayed in Mitte so didn't see much of that.

Some places I went to for drinks and partying: Windhorst (great, good priced cocktails at a chill spot), Tausend, Cookies (fun but I don't remember too much, a little overrated I think), Monarch in Kreuzberg, MAtrix (random yo-boy infested club, fun enough though), Bebel Bar at the Hotel de Rome, Oscar Wilde (random Irish bar for St. Patty's day), Eschschlaroque, Bar 103 (apparently). The hot Bosnian bartender at Tausend suggested we check out King Size once we got done there, couldn't get in since we apparently didn't know the owner.

Museums and sights: Pargammon and Bode musuem were best. Altes and Neue Musuems were good. Brandenburg Gate.

Stores: 14oz in Mitte which was cool but nothing I haven't seen before. Some places I could find in the U.S. (Zara, H&M because they were close to my hotel).

Stayed at the Westin Grand. Great hotel, great location. No doubt my experience would've been a little different if I stayed at a hostel or a cheaper hotel. Got a great price though.

The weather was cold, windy, wet and cloudy so didn't get to do as much exploring as I liked.

I'll probably post a few pictures when I get bored at work tomorrow. Stay tuned if interested.