• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berlin

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Berliner Philharmoniker. One of the world's great orchestras, if not the best.

Philharmonie
Herbert-von-Karajan-Str. 1
10785 Berlin

Tel.: +49 (0)30 254 88-0

Don't wear the skirt!
smile.gif

Would this:

http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.d...0-01-23-20-00/

Imply that the entire 128 person philharmonic orchestra is playing with the guest violinist?
If I go I want to see the whole thing and not a solo concerto.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
you have to go to the pergomon museum, and the egypt museum - they are both world class.

The museums are fantastic b/c the British and Germans plundered the treasures of the Ancient world. My other favorite of course is the British museum.

Berlin is supposed to have a very good avant-garde art scene.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
The museums are fantastic b/c the British and Germans plundered the treasures of the Ancient world.

actually I prefer they did if I remember what the taliban did to the buddha statues. in berlin they have most of their museums on an "island".
http://www.berlin.de/international/index.en.php
actually you are there to see most of their agriculture:
http://www.berlin.de/kultur-und-tick...e/index.en.php
if you have kids they would probaly like to visit legoland.
if you like techno music go there:
http://www.tresorberlin.de/
if you like indie or rock don't miss the king kong klub.

but if you work at bread and butter I doubt you will have to ask where to go ..

chenc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Would this: http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.d...0-01-23-20-00/ Imply that the entire 128 person philharmonic orchestra is playing with the guest violinist? If I go I want to see the whole thing and not a solo concerto.
For the Brahms there won't be the whole band. For the Bartok there should be though. Sigh I really wish I could attend some of these world class orchestras's concerts, but instead I'm stuck in this small town in Iowa.
confused.gif
They have a street named after Karajan? That's really cool.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Would this:

http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.d...0-01-23-20-00/

Imply that the entire 128 person philharmonic orchestra is playing with the guest violinist?
If I go I want to see the whole thing and not a solo concerto.

Haitink and BPO. Should be a fantastic concert. The Bartok is a masterpiece. And yes, it'll be the full Berlin Phil. I don't know the Kurtag piece, but the Brahms and Bartok?
worship.gif

And Zimmermann is a superb violinist.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Well now I'm excited!

makker

Reaction score
Top places for partying in Berlin? Hows Berghain & Panorama Bar, Watergate, Weekend Club, Sage Club, Splindler & Katt, CSA bar, etc..

chroMe

Reaction score
berlin is my fav city at the momento.

food: whitetrashfastfood - a few friends have gigged there and was lucky enough to see them in action.

shopping in and around mitte: 16oz, burg und schilde, numerous smaller shops. there's a galeries lafayette but no where as near stocked as the one in paris. KaDeWe & peek und kloppenburg are worth a look and you get the higher end shops around the area.

Kreuzberg for the bars

stay: hotel bambi

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
******* Amazing
more/few pics to come
Haha ChroMe my last night there I ended up at White Trash Fast Food...so much fun!!

makker

Reaction score
What are the best places for shopping in Berlin? I'm not looking for second-class clothing, more like the standard high-end brands and stuff, clothing which Zara for example has, so not too expensive.

Also, I need places to eat which could hit a Zagat but not too pricey either. I'm staying in Mitte.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's sometimes hard for me to think about "Berlin" without conjuring up Mike Myers' Saturday Night Live character, Dieter (the host of "Sprockets"). Like Dieter ("I find your agony delicious"), Reed seeks -- and finds, in abundance -- the beauty in pain and despair on this unforgettable album.

"Berlin" is all about darkness and decadence, though not the kind Lou Reed explored on "Transformer", his previous release. Rather than continuing with that disc's celebration of camp fruitery, "Berlin" takes a major turn onto seriously grim sidestreets littered with broken souls. A conceptual meditation on feelings most of us would rather not acknowledge, "Berlin" is a bitter narrative about the cruelty people can inflict on each other in the supposedly safe confines of a relationship.

The most amazing thing about "Berlin", however, isn't the subject matter, it's the music. Producer Bob Ezrin assembled an array of the era's most talented musicians (including Steve Winwood, Jack Bruce, Aynsley Dunbar and Tony Levin) and embroidered the album with lush, breathtaking string and wind orchestrations. The music and lyrics offset each other in stark contrast, much the same way a German expressionist film utilizes black and white.

Throughout, Reed delivers his trademark off-key vocals with a more pronounced sense of detachment than is usual even for him; on "Berlin" he's not so much an impartial observer, but a willing accomplice to the proceedings who angrily refuses to do anything about the destiny unfolding before him.

"Berlin" has been blasted as the ultimate downer of Reed's career -- quite an accomplishment, given the breadth of his depressive catalogue. Which is fair enough, for the faint of heart. For the rest of us, "Berlin" is a groundbreaking masterpiece.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I am headed back to Berlin this coming January for Bread & Butter and other things.

Anyone there, around, know of something worth checking out?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The Neues Museum opened within the last year or so if you haven't been.

flickr-3339324210-image.jpg

sandberg

Reaction score
Going in February, need a suit. Peek & Cloppenburg surely, but any other ideas? I have time constraints so won't have time for "take a walk around [__] area, nice boutiques there".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads