• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berlin clubbing

trebuchet

Reaction score
I'm going to Berlin soon and would appreciate any advice people have for what to wear going clubbing there. I'd really like to try and get into Berghain and understand the door staff are notoriously picky. I think I have a good eye for style - I know what colours go well together and what cuts are flattering etc - but the kind of style I'm seeing when looking into it puts me out of my comfort zone somewhat. That's because I think the black-dominated palette is deceptively simple. Lots of the pictures I'm seeing are just not my style at all - see through tops or fetish gear - and I think if I tried to go down that route I'd not pull it off because it's not me. I'm thinking my best bet is to just go all black jeans and tee but how do you make sure such a simple combo looks great? Any particular things to look out for or brands to avoid? Any finishing touches? Also keen to hear about footwear. I tend to favour boots to trainers when going out here (Manchester) and I'd probably stick to that there but I'd welcome any thoughts. I should add I'm tall and skinny!

Thanks,
J :)

London_biker

Reaction score
Hi, with regards to Berghain, the secret is to just don't care. Pay the least attention to what you wear, just do jeans & t, no big logos. Posh style will shut you out for sure. Feel great and enjoy!

trebuchet

Reaction score
Thank you! I was actually starting to think the Play Comme Des Garcons tee in black with the small red love heart logo with black jeans and black boots (docs or similar style).

radio3

Reaction score
Don’t wear all black. That’s what everyone thinks you’re supposed to wear to Berghain. They’ll basically laugh at you. And the last thing you want to do is wear some kind of fashion brand. You can’t look like you are trying or particularly care about your clothes.

trebuchet

Reaction score
Don’t wear all black. That’s what everyone thinks you’re supposed to wear to Berghain. They’ll basically laugh at you. And the last thing you want to do is wear some kind of fashion brand. You can’t look like you are trying or particularly care about your clothes.
Thanks. Actually ended up going to a smaller night at Sauler (another part of Berghain) unplanned after day out just wearing not particularly thought out shorts and t shirts. We'd been told it was a less stringent door policy but they were actually turning lots of people away (queue wasn't as long though), many of whom I thought were far cooler and more stylish looking but me and my friend got in. I think it was totally random.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many clubs in Berlin, and new ones all the time, that I wouldn’t stress about getting into Berghain. The newer places are often the most interesting. Have a look at the monthly listings on Berlin-enjoy.com, dress how you like, have fun.

radio3

Reaction score
Most parties in Berlin have some form of persecution though. Most do have a dress code and/or require you to explain how you found out about them. I find it all rather laughable and pathetic. But it’s my kind of music so I tolerate. The city is full of itself and seems to think it’s the height of cool. It’s all rather insecure teenager and frankly a little Nazi if you ask me. But whatever floats their boat.

trebuchet

Reaction score
Thanks all. Found plenty of great parties using Resident Advisor. I hear what people are saying about Berghain but I just really fancied trying it as I'd heard so much about the fantastic sound quality and atmosphere. Had a fantastic time at other places and Sauler @ Berghain but will definitely try for the main club another time. Most of the places we went to were quite discerning on the door but I felt it was to maintain positive vibes, especially as we were there for CSD (Pride) weekend, as they all felt much more comfortable for me as a gay man than UK clubs I've been to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads