1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bergdorf Goodwill's status

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by fatherseanfan, Oct 26, 2007.

1. markdc

markdc Senior member

According to his profile, Bergdorf Goodwill checked in here today. It is infuriating that he is visiting the fora while igoring PMs and that he is not fulfilling his contractual obilgations and sending out paid-for merchandise. Another forum member suggested a class action lawsuit. Maybe its not such a bad idea.

frustrating indeed. i got screwed over (twice) in july/august but got the charges removed by citi.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

[​IMG]

You should have just filled a claim with your credit card company and/or payal when you still had the chance.

Well, yes, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. [​IMG]

However, as has been pointed out previously by a couple of posters in this thread (including myself), we waited some time to take action out of (misguided) respect for BG's situation (homeless, living out of his car), because he had stated that he would send out all the items in short order, and because some people actually did receive items that they had ordered, thus giving us hope that he would be true to his word.

Regrettably, it seems that our charity and our hope that he would make good on his word was sadly misplaced.

Personally, I'm not so bummed about the money - I'm more frustrated by the fact that my trust has been betrayed, and by the fact that BG continues to lurk here whilst apparently doing nothing to repair the situation.

3. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

Personally, I'm not so bummed about the money - I'm more frustrated by the fact that my trust has been betrayed, and by the fact that BG continues to lurk here whilst apparently doing nothing to repair the situation.
    All it takes is one delay on the sender's part and it is easy to slip past the Paypal time limit for filing the claim. BG gave me the line that "the tie was sent out but then returned in the mail because he put the wrong address on it!" Sure it was... all the while asking if I wanted to buy more things from his sale so he could include them in the next shipment. Scammer.

4. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

In an ideal world, this travesty would only reflect badly on BG as an individual but sadly it is a stain on SF's record. Can the moderators take some kind of action on behalf of those screwed?

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

In an ideal world, this travesty would only reflect badly on BG as an individual but sadly it is a stain on SF's record. Can the moderators take some kind of action on behalf of those screwed?
    Are you kidding? WTF are the moderators gonna do, reach into their own pockets and return your forty freakin' dollars? SF is not some union that ensures smooth transactions on the B&S forum.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

In an ideal world, this travesty would only reflect badly on BG as an individual but sadly it is a stain on SF's record.
    I disagree that it is in any way a "stain on SF's record."
    Can the moderators take some kind of action on behalf of those screwed?

Like what? I think it has always been pretty clear that SF is not a nanny-state miniature, and that private commercial transactions among members are just that. I don't think anyone could reasonably expect (nor do I think it would be a wise policy) that the forum serve in any way the guarantor for sellers (or buyers) who post here. In an egregious case like this I suppose the moderators might ban BG from further sales posts (although that doesn't seem to be an issue), but I'm not sure what sort of action on behalf of those screwed you'd contemplate.

Which is not to say that I lack sympathy for those who have gotten screwed by BG's unreliability, just that people need to live and learn rather than expecting j or the mods to "fix" things for them.

7. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

I disagree that it is in any way a "stain on SF's record."

+1; though it re-emphasized to me that a long history of posts doesn't make a member trustworthy.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I completely disagree on all counts. It's a shame you perceive this as a stain on SF's record but you have to remember these are the actions of one member and represent a very small fraction of the transaction that occur as a result of SF. The great stuff and deals people get here vastly outnumber and overshadow the couple of bad apples so let's not get carried away here. The mods cannot police each seller, nor should they be held responsible for the outcome of each transaction - that's just not a realistic expectation.

9. landho

landho Senior member

True--I'm a relatively new member, but I've had numerous successful transactions and interactions with many members here. I've also had successful transactions with people who post here solely to sell something. SF posters and sellers have courteous, helpful, and dare I say it, professional.

10. j

j Senior member Admin

I was occasionally in contact with Berg at the beginning of this issue and talked to someone who saw him in the middle of it, and I don't think his intent was malicious or to scam anyone. It sounded like he was really depressed and got overwhelmed with the project and sort of gave up. I don't know if that helps anyone but that's all I know. Obviously after this I would ban him from selling on the forum anymore - in fact I would have banned him entirely but I hoped he might come back and use the forum to communicate with his buyers. Anyway, I doubt he feels happy about how this all went down. I wish I could help more but there isn't anything more I can really do from here.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I was occasionally in contact with Berg at the beginning of this issue and talked to someone who saw him in the middle of it, and I don't think his intent was malicious or to scam anyone. It sounded like he was really depressed and got overwhelmed with the project and sort of gave up. I don't know if that helps anyone but that's all I know. Obviously after this I would ban him from selling on the forum anymore - in fact I would have banned him entirely but I hoped he might come back and use the forum to communicate with his buyers. Anyway, I doubt he feels happy about how this all went down. I wish I could help more but there isn't anything more I can really do from here.

J,

Thanks for the update.

I should state that I do not think that BG's intent was to scam people - I do believe that his (initial) intentions were honest. However, he either lost control of his inventory management (as he was listing things on eBay that he had already sold here, for example) or something else went awry somewhere along the line.

I really do wish that BG would come back or respond to communication and make a genuine attempt to sort things out. I don't expect him to send out all the goods that people bought from him tomorrow, but the best way to manage a big task is to break it down into chunks and start with the smallest chunk. Send out an order for two ties today, send out an order for four ties a couple of days later, and then continue on filling orders.

I don't hold SF responsible for this situation at all. After all, we're pretty much all adults here and we are free to choose with whom we associate.

I simply think that it is an unfortunate outcome. SF has lost a valued and amusing member who made some worthwhile contributions in the past, and other members feel disgruntled and betrayed. Sadly, I don't feel any hope that the situation is going to be reversed, so it's best to accept it and move on.

12. knowsnothin

knowsnothin Senior member

According to his profile, Bergdorf Goodwill checked in here today. It is infuriating that he is visiting the fora while igoring PMs and that he is not fulfilling his contractual obilgations and sending out paid-for merchandise. Another forum member suggested a class action lawsuit. Maybe its not such a bad idea.

I suspect the problem is that BG is broke, so he can neither refund purchases nor pay damages in a lawsuit. The phrase "you cannot get blood out of a stone" seems to apply here.

Let it go.

13. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I'm pretty sure it went quite beyond losing control of his inventory management. From what I know, he lost control of his life. Like I said, I'm sorry if you got screwed in this, but I'm pretty sure your loss of a $40 tie doesn't begin to compare to his troubles.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I didn't buy anything from him, but I'd like to add my two cents. From what little I know of him, he was a fairly young guy. Maybe this is why I can relate to him, somewhat. Last year I was caught in a rut. July I was laid off. Then I got in a car accident. I still owed $1500 on the car. Driver of the other car had no insurance and I had liability only, so it stayed in disrepair. Few weeks later, I couldn't afford to renew my license so I lost that. I walked and biked to thrift stores to try and sell stuff to get back on my feet. I had no way of going to the post office and had to have my parents drive me when they had time. It did get a little out of hand when Paypal kept robbing me with their damned fees and I lost track of a few packages. However I did keep in contact with my customers and eventually got everything out to them. I feel remorse for him because I've been there and only recently got my life back on track. He, however should atleast speak with his customers, especially if he checks in here every so often.

15. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I bought a lawn-chair off craigslist and it fell apart the next day. I'm suing Craig.

16. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Can the moderators take some kind of action on behalf of those screwed?

Maybe the moderators can be the lead plaintiffs in the forthcoming class action suit.

And furthermore, a SF Lawyer (of which there are many), should do the case pro-bono.

17. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

I hope he reaches out for help.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I can tell you right now that I'm not leading a class action lawsuit to sue a broke-ass twenty-something to get a miniscule amount of money owed for used clothing.

I bought items from BG and received them uber fast. It may have been because of my mod status that he was careful to be on top of things.

It surely sucks and obviously he should be banned from selling on this forum, but I agree with J and others who basically have been saying, "you losing $40 is nothing compared to the shit storm he is dealing with." This isn't some guy who signed up to sell stuff on the forum; he has at least a thousand posts, he's a funny guy and I heartily believe he was well-intentioned.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Maybe the moderators can be the lead plaintiffs in the forthcoming class action suit.

And furthermore, a SF Lawyer (of which there are many), should do the case pro-bono.

Not touching that one, he'd just mock and generalize me into submission.

20. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Not touching that one, he'd just mock and generalize me into submission.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Well played!!! [​IMG]