• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berg and Berg

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
I think you should size up on the Arthuro and have the waist taken in (a competent tailor can do it). It's supposed to hang more straight from the hips down than it's doing in 32×32.

From the looks of it, the 34 waist might not even be too big if you're gonna wear a belt, anyways.
My thoughts as well. It doesn't drape well and horizontal creases across my hips appear. Still, jeans expand but mostly around the waist and not thighs, front rise, hips etc. I might size up.

Mirage-

Reaction score
From their latest blog entry: "Running parallel to the guiding principle of quality is the equally important principle of value. “Whether it’s a pair of socks or a tailored jacket, we try to offer the very best quality at a reasonable price, and this is built into the business itself,” adds Andreas Larsson, who serves as the brand’s Creative Director. “We work in a way which allows these ideas to stay front and centre, building close relationships with all of our suppliers, and only selling to customers directly. "

Besides the fact that at the end it almost seemed to be going in the "cutting the middleman" trope that has been overused and overplayed to the ground...well, besides that,
I find it a bit funny that the brand keeps writing in their blog and talking to people (e.g. Crompton of PS) that they really care about "value" and believe they deliver among the best offerings in that department. While we on SF seem to mostly agree (judging from what I've read on this thread) that Berg & Berg is generally good value at sale price, for most things (some simpler outerwear still being suspiciously priced even at -50%) and definitely overpriced on many (most?) things at retail price...
On my end, I still cannot understand how cotton chinos can be as expensive as a pair of tailored flannels, for example.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't find them particularly good value, at least on the things I have used them for (tailoring by and large). Raising prices whilst simultaneously diminishing quality not a winning combo, in my eyes.

13.characters

Reaction score
I wonder who B&B are comparing themselves to when they talk about value and "the very best quality at a reasonable price". B&B use good quality materials, but not premium materials. For their pricing level I would expect premium materials. E.g. for the full price of their merino blend sweaters I could get a cashmere one from also Swedish brand Soft Goat. Or the raglan overcoat from PW & Permanent Style collab is level above in terms of materials and finish compared to B&B overcoats at almost the same price points.

I love most things B&B does, their cuts, but for the value, they only seem to deliver when things are 50% off (at least for me and not on all of their offerings) I guess that might be their pricing strategy, to sell things to people who are not willing to wait for sales and have funds at some very high price points - make some profit to sustain business at that time and then sell off the rest at 50% which is still almost like fully priced items from elsewhere, but people are more likely to buy due to items now appearing significantly reduced.

Of course there are challenges to small businesses and we don't see the full picture, but I'd wish they really meant "the very best quality" at least if they're going to keep their prices up and start actually putting more care for the finish of their products/construction/materials. Their finish is not always the best, with some loose threads, some not straight stitching or some excess fabric that gathers at the end of patch pockets in their this winter season's coats that creates some creases in them.

Also they're Norwegian/Swedish brand and many of their stuff seems like it's made for for Italian weather sometimes. E.g. current nylon/cotton jackets and coats, would be nice to have some insulation for transitional weather. Especially for almost 1k eur.

That being said, even though the pricing is not the great in my opinion and the finish does not always correspond to the price point I still like the brand and would love to see them succeed and actually improve their products, even if not the prices, then the finish, offer better materials, things that are more considered for Northern Europe's weather and such. B&B doesn't seem shameless to me like some other brands might that put all their effort in social media campaigns instead of their products (cough cough morjas) And I'll be still recommending (and buying myself) B&B items, good thing their sale prices do make many of their offerings be of good value.

Last edited:

Mirage-

Reaction score
Also they're Norwegian/Swedish brand and many of their stuff seems like it's made for for Italian weather sometimes. E.g. current nylon/cotton jackets and coats, would be nice to have some insulation for transitional weather. Especially for almost 1k eur.

Yeah, it might have something to do with the fact that almost all their clothes are made in Italy anyway. It probably doesn't really work well logistically to order things that Italian factories wouldn't usually use (in terms of materials, more than cuts).

And yes as I had said earlier I have no idea how a lightweight cotton-nylon blend super-simple (though long) coat comes out so expensive, that's precisely one of the items I wouldn't buy even during their 50% sales. Maybe there is a reason, but if there is, well they definitely haven't sold it to me well enough.

I would so love to know where they get their chinos made so I could directly go there and get some. It's not even really about saving money as I'd probably spend at least the same as when buying in the end-of-season sales, it just feels stupid that I can't find a similar cut (high rise, flat front, straight leg about 20cm at hem in size 48) here in Italy and so I have to import them all the way from them, while they have it made somewhere possibly not too far from here.
But then again I already have 2 pairs, in 1 or 2 more seasonal sales I'll have more than enough anyway.

I wondered in the past why not offer a similar cut for wools, and this season they've done it,
but for some reason it looks off to me in the pictures they shot, still not completely sure why it worked much better for cotton.

c11516_2880x3998_crop_center.jpg

Despite using the same measurements they look much less "straight" than the chinos, indeed they look quite tapered somehow. But I wonder if that's a side effect of the model being a giant compared to me.
Or maybe in wool trousers I would just strongly prefer single (reverse!) pleat and side tabs.
Or maybe I just don't like the look and feel of high-twist in trousers, too smooth and business-suiting-alike for my taste when choosing odd trousers.

Last edited:

13.characters

Reaction score
Despite using the same measurements they look much less "straight" than the chinos
I think it's just because these trousers are much more pressed than the cotton version was, making the top being "spread out" due to hips and thigh being more wide and filling out the trouser and ankles being a lot more thin thus making the pressed trouser stay more "squished" if that makes sense. The model is 185 cm says on his agency page, but I wonder if it's true or he has different body proportions, things that look long on him are too short on me, though I'm only 3 cm taller...

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's just because these trousers are much more pressed than the cotton version was, making the top being "spread out" due to hips and thigh being more wide and filling out the trouser and ankles being a lot more thin thus making the pressed trouser stay more "squished" if that makes sense. The model is 185 cm says on his agency page, but I wonder if it's true or he has different body proportions, things that look long on him are too short on me, though I'm only 3 cm taller...
It seems his body proportions are different than average Joe's. His legs are very long compared to his torso. That is why pants look so good on him.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Not the longest back rise so for guys with a big ass this cut may not be right. My thighs are 66 cm/26 inches at their thickest point at these are on the verge on being too tight. I could size up but the waist would be too big.

I ordered four pair of jeans: Arthur and the newer cut Arthuro, both in 30x32 and 32x32. I took the liberty to measure the jeans myself.
View attachment 1956801
View attachment 1956805
View attachment 1956807
Are these the mid or light blue? @Dan Dynamic

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a while since I ordered from BB. But since the matter has been brought up recently, how often does BB run sales? When can we expect the next one to occur and what do they usually put on sale? The whole inventory or just selected items?

A MTO raglan coat made out of 100 % Brisbane cotton comes out cheaper from another Swedish company than BB's cotton/nylon blend. I like the curdoroy collar and am starting to not dislike the hip pockets as much as I did before. But I'm not liking it enough that I'm willing to pay full price for a blend fabric. I could get a similar blend fabric raglan coat from Burberry or Aquascutum at 15-20 % of the price at eBay. Used but in immaculate condition.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a while since I ordered from BB. But since the matter has been brought up recently, how often does BB run sales? When can we expect the next one to occur and what do they usually put on sale? The whole inventory or just selected items?

A MTO raglan coat made out of 100 % Brisbane cotton comes out cheaper from another Swedish company than BB's cotton/nylon blend. I like the curdoroy collar and am starting to not dislike the hip pockets as much as I did before. But I'm not liking it enough that I'm willing to pay full price for a blend fabric. I could get a similar blend fabric raglan coat from Burberry or Aquascutum at 15-20 % of the price at eBay. Used but in immaculate condition.
At the end of each season and pretty much everything goes on sale.

Mirage-

Reaction score

I am not totally convinced what use case that coat has in the first place as I was saying earlier in the thread (being so long yet light) but the more likely use I see is as raincoat, so I think a better comparison is some sort of cotton treated for water-resistence, or even better, ventile.
If you can get a similar coat in ventile at that price, which you probably can, then I'd much rather get ventile then a nylon-blend or a pure Brisbane Moss standard cotton.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not totally convinced what use case that coat has in the first place as I was saying earlier in the thread (being so long yet light) but the more likely use I see is as raincoat, so I think a better comparison is some sort of cotton treated for water-resistence, or even better, ventile.
If you can get a similar coat in ventile at that price, which you probably can, then I'd much rather get ventile then a nylon-blend or a pure Brisbane Moss standard cotton.
I have a classic DB trenchcoat from Burberry that I use during rainy days. I'm totally happy with it. But it's beige. I was looking for a navy for the same purpose but also adding the element of a more casual setting by it being a SB instead.

As for the Brisbane comparison, it was only for the sake of comparison. I have trousers in Brisbane cotton and can't see the fabric work as a coat.

I'll check out some ventile jackets. Any recommendations in similar length? You can send a PM If you prefer.

Last edited:

Mirage-

Reaction score
I have a classic DB trenchcoat from Burberry that I use during rainy days. I'm totally happy with it. But it's beige. I was looking for a navy for the same purpose but also adding the element of a more casual setting by it being a SB instead.

I'll check out some ventile. Any recommendations in similar length?
I was assuming you could ask your MTO company for it, but if they can't source ventile...hmm...
I know Private White specializes in ventile outerwear and has like 10 models. It's still very expensive mind you, but imo better value than B&B in that.
Since you want a more casual option I'd look at their ventile mac first of all, however that is just above the knee, for below the knee there's only Crompton's version of the trench. Which I would love, but it's even more expensive and also not a more casual single breasted option (though it does look much more casual in olive than navy).
I think S.E.H. Kelly does ventile outerwear from time to time, right now they don't have any in stock but there is this water-resistent treated cotton long raglan. I can't really tell from the photos if it's long enough though.
It is indeed very hard to find (non-vintage) rainwear that goes below the knee, that part is true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads