• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berg and Berg

Shetterd

Reaction score
A flannel suit should have welted or flapped pockets, I think. It's a business suit. Patch pockets would be too casual for a material like that.
Ah interesting! I somehow read welted pockets as quite formal and flannel much more casual.

rasmusp

Reaction score
I miss the patch pockets on their odd jackets... I still hope they will make a comeback every season.

Though for suit jackets I think the welted pockets are ideal, even if somewhat less practical than patch pockets (IMO).

Has anybody tried their belts? I find the sizing advice somewhat odd: "For an ideal fit, we recommend ordering a belt size 5 cm less than your waist measuremen".
Normally, I would have thought you'd order 5cm more? (E.g. a 36" belt for 34" trousers).

mbb355

Reaction score
I miss the patch pockets on their odd jackets... I still hope they will make a comeback every season.

Though for suit jackets I think the welted pockets are ideal, even if somewhat less practical than patch pockets (IMO).

Has anybody tried their belts? I find the sizing advice somewhat odd: "For an ideal fit, we recommend ordering a belt size 5 cm less than your waist measuremen".
Normally, I would have thought you'd order 5cm more? (E.g. a 36" belt for 34" trousers).
I have one of their belts. I wear size 30 trousers and their size 80 belt fits perfectly

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Ah interesting! I somehow read welted pockets as quite formal and flannel much more casual.

I posted the following on this thread before.

"It is said that jetted pockets are a formal detail, but I think this isn't exactly right. I don't think they make a garment more formal like peak lapels would, I just think other types of pockets would not work well with formal tailoring because they would make it too casual. Jetted pockets are unobtrusive--a detail you hardly notice. This is why they work well with formal tailoring, not because they are themselves formal. I actually think B&B's jackets would look more formal with flapped pockets.

Also, it is good to see that B&B doesn't just do the same thing as everyone else.

The Florentines--Liverano, Corcos, Vestrucci, etc.--do this on many of their SCs."

Of course, you are talking about a non-casual suit here, so all the more so.

Eset

Reaction score
IMG_2440.jpg

I got myself their Dante sports coat from this F/W season with - yes - jetted pockets. I like them because it adds some diversity to my collection.
I do believe that it's still a rather casual piece because of what it is - a sports coat.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
View attachment 1540200
I got myself their Dante sports coat from this F/W season with - yes - jetted pockets. I like them because it adds some diversity to my collection.
I do believe that it's still a rather casual piece because of what it is - a sports coat.

Are you willing to post a picture of you wearing the jacket? There are a dearth of pictures of people wearing B&B jackets.

Eset

Reaction score
Are you willing to post a picture of you wearing the jacket? There are a dearth of pictures of people wearing B&B jackets.
I can relate to that. Hopefully the low-quality pics without proper lighting and a model who knows how to pose in front of the camera still give an idea of the fit. We probably can't deny that the colors in their editorial are more realistic.
Comments and feedback are of course very welcome (I am an adult, I can take them).
IMG_2466.jpeg
IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg

IMG_2525.jpeg

mbb355

Reaction score
I can relate to that. Hopefully the low-quality pics without proper lighting and a model who knows how to pose in front of the camera still give an idea of the fit. We probably can't deny that the colors in their editorial are more realistic.
Comments and feedback are of course very welcome (I am an adult, I can take them).
View attachment 1540293 View attachment 1540294
View attachment 1540295
View attachment 1540297
This looks great--only complaint is I personally prefer not to show any shirt/knit below the buttoning point when the jacket is buttoned up, but to each their own.

Eset

Reaction score
This looks great--only complaint is I personally prefer not to show any shirt/knit below the buttoning point when the jacket is buttoned up, but to each their own.
You're right, I absolutely agree. 2-3 kilos less around the belly might help ;-)
Not a perfect fit, it feels slimmer than expected but still okay-ish to me.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
View attachment 1540295
View attachment 1540297

Thanks! This is somewhat helpful. You will get better, less distorted pics, if the camera is higher up. With a lower camera angle, your shoulders will look smaller, and your stomach will look bigger. Having the camera a bit farther away can also help minimize distortions.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1540295
View attachment 1540297

Looks great! Did you take your regular size?

Eset

Reaction score
Thanks! This is somewhat helpful. You will get better, less distorted pics, if the camera is higher up. With a lower camera angle, your shoulders will look smaller, and your stomach will look bigger. Having the camera a bit farther away can also help minimize distortions.
E9B5B86B-B9DD-48DF-A225-2906935AFA7D.jpeg

Thanks for your advice - new try: Different angle at least, probably need better lighting for less distortion (and a better camera, but will probably stick to watching instead of posting pics here).

Looks great! Did you take your regular size?
Yes, 48 is my standard and the measurements on the site matched my favorite MTMs.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Coat looks a bit trim on you, but I think that's because you're wearing a sweater. Looks nice though.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
View attachment 1540335
Thanks for your advice - new try: Different angle at least, probably need better lighting for less distortion (and a better camera, but will probably stick to watching instead of posting pics here).

Yes, 48 is my standard and the measurements on the site matched my favorite MTMs.

Just out of curiosity, are you a tall guy? Either you are tall, or the jacket has a lengthening effect. The jacket looks good on you, btw.

Eset

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are you a tall guy? Either you are tall, or the jacket has a lengthening effect. The jacket looks good on you, btw.
1.83m, rather average. I have relatively long and thin legs, but the jacket covers my butt, following the strict SF rules. Thanks for the compliment!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads