• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berg and Berg

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Supposedly it’s a Shopify issue. Many other EU-based stores complain about it. It’s complicated to fix so Berg just
pockets the money.

tnd

Reaction score
seems like they just wanna take advantage and pocket the money. I have shopped at numerous UK/EU brands and never have encountered this issue.

Anyone from BergBerg wanna chime in here?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
COULD be off base, but I believe VAT vanished 18-24 months ago. I want to say someone from their end attributed it to a website change (or shopify, or something else), and that it was being adjusted, and would eventually be fixed.
Well, that was going on 18-24 months ago lol. Sooooo it's either an incredibly difficult fix, or they just said "*******" and made the choice that it wasn't hurting their bottom line enough to bother fixing.
B&B isn't the only European company I've come across to include VAT to non-EU shoppers, but they are the only one to be so (seemingly) disingenuous about it. Entirely off putting stuff, in my opinion.
In fairness, I can't guarantee I'd be a frequent B&B shopper at full freight even if the VAT deduction was re-implemented, so it's not like they're losing a cash cow there, but as stands now, I absolutely refuse to even consider purchasing B&B until they DEEP into price reductions...and even then I'd a matter of holding my nose a bit.
All in all, not the best business practices, I think it fair to say.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
VAT is always complex to handle and they may have issues with it, but I can assure you it's not a Shopify issue. (source: I work there).

I don’t have a shopify store, so I don’t have any direct experience. Last time people complained about this issue Shopify was the explanation. Looks like this complaint thread re deducting VAT on your support forum has been going for over two years and is still active

moimael

Reaction score
I don’t have a shopify store, so I don’t have any direct experience. Last time people complained about this issue Shopify was the explanation. Looks like this complaint thread re deducting VAT on your support forum has been going for over two years and is still active

I see it seems like the real issue here is about displaying the price. In Europe, prices are usually shown including VAT, while in USA/Canada it's not. VAT handling works if you use the Shopify system, but in Europe your prices would display without VAT until you go to the checkout. That causes surprises for people coming to the shop via Facebook / Instagram ads since they see VAT-less prices. Also it seems that Europe requires you to display prices VAT included. First time I heard about this, will see if I can escalate.

EDIT: It's being worked on. Definitely an issue on our end, although not related to the VAT engine but how we display it, my mistake.

Last edited:

Konnor

Reaction score
I'm not sure if its a beneficial tactic for the company. I was interested in buying the black linen sportcoat and matching trousers, but without VAT and 50% off, it was still cheaper to go through a MTM program with another company.

tnd

Reaction score
Does anyone from the company frequent this forum?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I'm not sure if its a beneficial tactic for the company. I was interested in buying the black linen sportcoat and matching trousers, but without VAT and 50% off, it was still cheaper to go through a MTM program with another company.

It comes out to be about $1000 with the current markdown, which is expensive but I think is a fair price for a suit that was made in a small Italian workshop that the Berg and Berg guys found.You're also paying for the development costs of for sourcing the material and tweaking the designs, which can be sizable since these are small batches that don't benefit from economies of scale.

Konnor

Reaction score
It comes out to be about $1000 with the current markdown, which is expensive but I think is a fair price for a suit that was made in a small Italian workshop that the Berg and Berg guys found.You're also paying for the development costs of for sourcing the material and tweaking the designs, which can be sizable since these are small batches that don't benefit from economies of scale.
That’s fine. In my opinion, it’s not worth an extra $410 over what I’m paying. Also, a suit being made in a small factory in Italy does not necessarily mean it’s the greatest quality. You may have information that differs from their website, but they don’t list the mill that the fabric comes from. There’s nothing that tells me it’s worth the price tag without taking the risk in purchasing. I’m not willing to do that at $1000. The point that we are trying to make is that they are willing to make 20% less from European customers (they don’t benefit from the VAT tax). Furthermore, they have blamed it on software for close to two years from what I understand. That shows me that they enjoy making the extra 20%.

Chris-Wearings

Reaction score
That’s fine. In my opinion, it’s not worth an extra $410 over what I’m paying. Also, a suit being made in a small factory in Italy does not necessarily mean it’s the greatest quality. You may have information that differs from their website, but they don’t list the mill that the fabric comes from. There’s nothing that tells me it’s worth the price tag without taking the risk in purchasing. I’m not willing to do that at $1000. The point that we are trying to make is that they are willing to make 20% less from European customers (they don’t benefit from the VAT tax). Furthermore, they have blamed it on software for close to two years from what I understand. That shows me that they enjoy making the extra 20%.

Ya you pay the European tax plus import duties + taxes into USA/Canada . This is not good.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Seems like a bad idea to compare this based on fabric, color, and price. The quality of a suit is mostly about how it fits you. The MTM company may be better (I have no idea). But instead of choosing on price, I think it would be better to choose based on who can provide you with a better fitting suit.

Konnor

Reaction score
Seems like a bad idea to compare this based on fabric, color, and price. The quality of a suit is mostly about how it fits you. The MTM company may be better (I have no idea). But instead of choosing on price, I think it would be better to choose based on who can provide you with a better fitting suit.
I agree, and in the last few pages alone, there have been critiques on Berg suits fit. The MTM suit should fit better given the measurements are correct and executed in production. I’m sure that B&B produces a great suit, but I’m not willing to take a $1300ish (after customs) gamble to find out. I would be if the **** was on sale and didn’t include VAT.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree, and in the last few pages alone, there have been critiques on Berg suits fit. The MTM suit should fit better given the measurements are correct and executed in production. I’m sure that B&B produces a great suit, but I’m not willing to take a $1300ish (after customs) gamble to find out. I would be if the **** was on sale and didn’t include VAT.

Not sure that's true, but I hope it works out for you.

Most MTM is not very good. Sometimes the base pattern is bad; sometimes the fitters aren't very good. Sometimes it's an online operation and it's just the customer punching in numbers into a machine without any real expert guiding them. The danger of MTM is that good MTM is non-refundable. Assuming the suit fits well, you may not like the silhouette. And at that point, you're stuck with the garment. MTM companies that offer a refund are also usually not very good.

MTM is usually best when you can walk into a store and try on base garments, then have a fitter judge the adjustments based on that try-on suit.

Konnor

Reaction score
Not sure that's true, but I hope it works out for you.

Most MTM is not very good. Sometimes the base pattern is bad; sometimes the fitters aren't very good. Sometimes it's an online operation and it's just the customer punching in numbers into a machine without any real expert guiding them. The danger of MTM is that good MTM is non-refundable. Assuming the suit fits well, you may not like the silhouette. And at that point, you're stuck with the garment. MTM companies that offer a refund are also usually not very good.

MTM is usually best when you can walk into a store and try on base garments, then have a fitter judge the adjustments based on that try-on suit.
Luckily, I know my measurements fairly well. I don’t have to just punch in numbers and hope for the best. What is to say that the base fit of an OTR garment is going to be better? That’s essentially what MTM is without alterations. The difference is that I get to have a say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads