Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bentley v Rolls Royce

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PCabrelli, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

isn't the Mercedes 600 the ultimate Dictator's car? Put some curtains on the windows and maybe a customized flag hanging out of somewhere and that's a 'don't fuck with me' car if there ever was one.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

isn't the Mercedes 600 the ultimate Dictator's car? Put some curtains on the windows and maybe a customized flag hanging out of somewhere and that's a 'don't fuck with me' car if there ever was one.
    yep

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

From Mao to Idi Amin to Kim Jung Il, I think every single dictator from the '60s onwards had that car.

I remember reading that Mercedes-Benz must have received much ill-gained money during those years. The car was made until 1981.

4. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything. But, if I had to get rid of it and choose something...

I'd get a Ferrari! The F430, most likely. Now that is a driver's car! Or I'd get a Porsche Cayman S, another great driver's car.

Who wants a Bentley OR a Rolls? That just screams, "Hey, look at me! Please! Look at me! You don't understand! I need you to look at me! I'm very insecure with my new money! I've never had any before!" Bentley's and Rolls tend to scream "douche" louder than just about anything out there. Quite a few of them around where I live, and every time I've seen one pull up somewhere, it gets that kind of reaction. Someone whispering "insecure douche" and someone else giggling. I don't know, I just wouldn't be attracted to that kind of attention.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything. But, if I had to get rid of it and choose something...

I'd get a Ferrari! The F430, most likely. Now that is a driver's car! Or I'd get a Porsche Cayman S, another great driver's car.

Who wants a Bentley OR a Rolls? That just screams, "Hey, look at me! Please! Look at me! You don't understand! I need you to look at me! I'm very insecure with my new money! I've never had any before!" Bentley's and Rolls tend to scream "douche" louder than just about anything out there. Quite a few of them around where I live, and every time I've seen one pull up somewhere, it gets that kind of reaction. Someone whispering "insecure douche" and someone else giggling. I don't know, I just wouldn't be attracted to that kind of attention.

Ooh, I don't know...

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

that can be said about practically anything that has a pseudo-statis attached to it, like high end watches, cars, or houses.

My boss drives an S-600, its really a sweet car, i had a feeling he was pretty damn successful when i pulled up to see that car. He buys them brand new and has them imported from Germany.

He can afford any of the cars mentioned, but sticks to the 600, so that must say something about trying to avoid a "new money" stigma, since he certainly is NOT new money.

7. Brad

Brad Senior member

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything.

There's probably a stigma attached to a guy driving an SLK, too. Just sayin.

8. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything. But, if I had to get rid of it and choose something... I'd get a Ferrari! The F430, most likely. Now that is a driver's car! Or I'd get a Porsche Cayman S, another great driver's car. Who wants a Bentley OR a Rolls? That just screams, "Hey, look at me! Please! Look at me! You don't understand! I need you to look at me! I'm very insecure with my new money! I've never had any before!" Bentley's and Rolls tend to scream "douche" louder than just about anything out there. Quite a few of them around where I live, and every time I've seen one pull up somewhere, it gets that kind of reaction. Someone whispering "insecure douche" and someone else giggling. I don't know, I just wouldn't be attracted to that kind of attention.
    You are aware that Ferrari's in the hands of those who don't appreciate performance cars...screams the same thing (i.e. athletes and the Hollywood set). With that said, the Bentley's have evolved into more of a luxury style of car, so while they are made to be driven, they are not made to be tracked.

9. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

There's probably a stigma attached to a guy driving an SLK, too. Just sayin.
    What possible stigma could be attached to a small, light, fuel-efficient, 2-seater sports car with a power hardtop? Of course, anyone with stigma problems is welcome to come meet me on the I-90 for a face-off. [​IMG] I have ridden in a Bentley a few times and just wasn't really impressed much. I mean, they're nice and everything, but they're also pretty blah. If I was going to get a sedan, I'd get a Lexus LS430 or a Mercedes S-class as mentioned previously in this thread. Both are great cars. What's most frightening is that most of the truly powerful and wealthy in this country are driven around in Lincoln Town Cars. Booooooring.

10. Brad

Brad Senior member

What possible stigma could be attached to a small, light, fuel-efficient, 2-seater sports car with a power hardtop? Of course, anyone with stigma problems is welcome to come meet me on the I-90 for a face-off. [​IMG]

No offense, but that's sort of Miata territory. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd be glad to race you.

11. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

.............. Who wants a Bentley OR a Rolls? That just screams, "Hey, look at me! Please! Look at me! You don't understand! I need you to look at me! I'm very insecure with my new money! I've never had any before!" Bentley's and Rolls tend to scream "douche" louder than just about anything out there. Quite a few of them around where I live, and every time I've seen one pull up somewhere, it gets that kind of reaction. Someone whispering "insecure douche" and someone else giggling. I don't know, I just wouldn't be attracted to that kind of attention.
    Think I can understand what you are saying. When I was finishing high school, a similar stigma was there with new MBs and their owners. I had a pretty pristine late 60s 190 4 door (this was in mid 80s) and was spared the flack. It was one reason that I did not take the 1974 240D. Wish I still had that 190. I tried to find info so that I could track down my grandfathers Bentley that he sold in mid 40s, but no luck.

12. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

No offense, but that's sort of Miata territory. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd be glad to race you.
    Dang, you beat me to it!

13. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Interesting. Out of all the cars you mentioned, your favorite happens to be the loudest.

14. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

I'd have to say neither. Aston Martin DB9 for me.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have ridden in a Bentley a few times and just wasn't really impressed much. I mean, they're nice and everything, but they're also pretty blah. If I was going to get a sedan, I'd get a Lexus LS430 or a Mercedes S-class as mentioned previously in this thread. Both are great cars.

The LS430 (now 460) is a very nice car but it lacks the handling and road feel that you get while driving the Bentley and S-Class. I've driven all three and while I appreciate the quality of the Lexus, the car is boring to drive.