1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bentley v Rolls Royce

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PCabrelli, Jun 8, 2008.

1. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

My choice would run to either the old 600 or even the old 300. There were some very nice models with removable tops. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Not the modern S600, but the old Grosser 600 model: [​IMG] That car was definitely in the same league as Rolls Royce, if not superior in certain ways. I don't think Bentleys were ever in that same grand tradition; they seem like personal cars.
    Terrific car!!! I'm a true fan of the classic 600.

3. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Of course.

Nah, I'd get this before a MB. (as a driver)

[​IMG]

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Tenenbaum family uses a red, late 60s 600 at Royal's funeral. I can't find a picture.

Yes, I remember the 600 at the end. Eli Cash drives that Austin Healey.

My choice would run to either the old 600 or even the old 300. There were some very nice models with removable tops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 300D, the so-called Adenauer, is another very nice limousine type of vehicle.

[​IMG]

6. Brad

Brad Senior member

The 300D, the so-called Adenauer, is another very nice limousine type of vehicle.

[​IMG]

I have no idea what year this car is, but it just looks too Nazi Germany for me.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have no idea what year this car is, but it just looks too Nazi Germany for me.

Ironically, it's a postwar car.

8. Brad

Brad Senior member

Ironically, it's a postwar car.

That's not surprising, but it still has that effect on me.

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

RR vs Bentley is altogether too broad. You might as well ask, Russia vs. America? Russia vs. America, you ask? Well, do you mean Czarist Russia vs. Dot-Com era USA? Or perhaps Stalinist Russia vs. 1970s "Me-Generation" USA? Or my personal favorite, Yeltsin-era Russia vs. post-colonial USA.

Narrow your terms.

I choose to narrow mine thusly: a 1929, 4.5 liter "blower" Bentley:

[​IMG]

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Shortly after this car was built RR acquired Bentley, and it was downhill for the next 70+ years. Certainly Bentleys were built afterwards that had a great deal of charm and elan, however they were still RR in their guts. Indeed, I remember scrambling around New England trying to trace down a pair of Bentley logo'd valve covers to replace the RR valve covers that were improperly used in a 1964 S3. A spectacular car, by the way, that would go on to win second best in show at a RR Owner's Club meet.

11. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

isn't the Mercedes 600 the ultimate Dictator's car? Put some curtains on the windows and maybe a customized flag hanging out of somewhere and that's a 'don't fuck with me' car if there ever was one.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

isn't the Mercedes 600 the ultimate Dictator's car? Put some curtains on the windows and maybe a customized flag hanging out of somewhere and that's a 'don't fuck with me' car if there ever was one.
    yep

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

From Mao to Idi Amin to Kim Jung Il, I think every single dictator from the '60s onwards had that car.

I remember reading that Mercedes-Benz must have received much ill-gained money during those years. The car was made until 1981.

14. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything. But, if I had to get rid of it and choose something...

I'd get a Ferrari! The F430, most likely. Now that is a driver's car! Or I'd get a Porsche Cayman S, another great driver's car.

Who wants a Bentley OR a Rolls? That just screams, "Hey, look at me! Please! Look at me! You don't understand! I need you to look at me! I'm very insecure with my new money! I've never had any before!" Bentley's and Rolls tend to scream "douche" louder than just about anything out there. Quite a few of them around where I live, and every time I've seen one pull up somewhere, it gets that kind of reaction. Someone whispering "insecure douche" and someone else giggling. I don't know, I just wouldn't be attracted to that kind of attention.

15. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything. But, if I had to get rid of it and choose something...

I'd get a Ferrari! The F430, most likely. Now that is a driver's car! Or I'd get a Porsche Cayman S, another great driver's car.

Who wants a Bentley OR a Rolls? That just screams, "Hey, look at me! Please! Look at me! You don't understand! I need you to look at me! I'm very insecure with my new money! I've never had any before!" Bentley's and Rolls tend to scream "douche" louder than just about anything out there. Quite a few of them around where I live, and every time I've seen one pull up somewhere, it gets that kind of reaction. Someone whispering "insecure douche" and someone else giggling. I don't know, I just wouldn't be attracted to that kind of attention.

Ooh, I don't know...

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

that can be said about practically anything that has a pseudo-statis attached to it, like high end watches, cars, or houses.

My boss drives an S-600, its really a sweet car, i had a feeling he was pretty damn successful when i pulled up to see that car. He buys them brand new and has them imported from Germany.

He can afford any of the cars mentioned, but sticks to the 600, so that must say something about trying to avoid a "new money" stigma, since he certainly is NOT new money.

17. Brad

Brad Senior member

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything.

There's probably a stigma attached to a guy driving an SLK, too. Just sayin.

18. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I really really love my new Mercedes SLK-350 and can't imagine trading it for anything. But, if I had to get rid of it and choose something... I'd get a Ferrari! The F430, most likely. Now that is a driver's car! Or I'd get a Porsche Cayman S, another great driver's car. Who wants a Bentley OR a Rolls? That just screams, "Hey, look at me! Please! Look at me! You don't understand! I need you to look at me! I'm very insecure with my new money! I've never had any before!" Bentley's and Rolls tend to scream "douche" louder than just about anything out there. Quite a few of them around where I live, and every time I've seen one pull up somewhere, it gets that kind of reaction. Someone whispering "insecure douche" and someone else giggling. I don't know, I just wouldn't be attracted to that kind of attention.
    You are aware that Ferrari's in the hands of those who don't appreciate performance cars...screams the same thing (i.e. athletes and the Hollywood set). With that said, the Bentley's have evolved into more of a luxury style of car, so while they are made to be driven, they are not made to be tracked.

19. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

There's probably a stigma attached to a guy driving an SLK, too. Just sayin.
    What possible stigma could be attached to a small, light, fuel-efficient, 2-seater sports car with a power hardtop? Of course, anyone with stigma problems is welcome to come meet me on the I-90 for a face-off. [​IMG] I have ridden in a Bentley a few times and just wasn't really impressed much. I mean, they're nice and everything, but they're also pretty blah. If I was going to get a sedan, I'd get a Lexus LS430 or a Mercedes S-class as mentioned previously in this thread. Both are great cars. What's most frightening is that most of the truly powerful and wealthy in this country are driven around in Lincoln Town Cars. Booooooring.

20. Brad

Brad Senior member

What possible stigma could be attached to a small, light, fuel-efficient, 2-seater sports car with a power hardtop? Of course, anyone with stigma problems is welcome to come meet me on the I-90 for a face-off. [​IMG]

No offense, but that's sort of Miata territory. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd be glad to race you.