• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bennie's Grenson pics

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After hours of sweat and spit, here are the Grensons I am keeping from Bennie's latest sale, all ready to go.

darkoak

Reaction score
The butterfly loafers are gorgeous! How do they fit?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, those brown oxfords are breathtaking. Wow. Just wow.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
The butterfly loafers are gorgeous!

inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The black captoes could use a little more work, now that I look at them.

darkoak, the butterfly loafers are a bit slimmer and tighter around the instep than a true 9D US. If anything one should go up half a size though this won't be necessary if one has a normal instep and width.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't mean to completely jack this thread, but i'm a bit of an amateur and i can never get that kind of a shine (both pairs of brown shoes are
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
)

i'd like to believe that i'm following the standard spit/mirror shine instructions pretty closely, but i think i miss the boat at the very last step...what material do you use to buff the shoe after your water/polish layers have all been applied? do you use nylons? a soft cotton cloth? something else?

thanks! (and thanks for the pics...i'm kicking myself for my self-restraint)

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use old woven silk ties. Pantyhose works well, too. But, with my polishing method at least, the mirror shine is already there and pretty smooth before the buffing.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wowza, those are loafers to remember!!

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I use old woven silk ties. Pantyhose works well, too. But, with my polishing method at least, the mirror shine is already there and pretty smooth before the buffing.

Thanks. I always manage to get a quasi-mirror shine, but nothing like yours (or any of the other ridiculously nice shines i've seen from member pictures).

I'll have to go thrifting for some old ties and try out your method...thanks for sharing
teacha.gif

yanks2182

Reaction score
So what exactly did you do to those shoes? Did you simply use brown wax polish on the browns, or did you use cream as well?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoopee, excellent choice on your purchase, and great job on the polish. They are absolutely beautiful.

I am so proud of myself to exercise restraint that I didn't buy any, not a single pair. I had 3 gorgeous pairs in my basket that I finally emptied out. I really need to save for my pilgrimages to Budapest and Northampton this Fall.

Originally Posted by sysdoc
Congratulations for achieving this gaudy Berluti look
devil.gif
!

laugh.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
Congratulations for achieving this gaudy Berluti look
devil.gif
!

Ecellent job!
thumbs-up.gif
tongue.gif

You're a very fragile person, aren't you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads