• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benjamin, RLBL, or Caruso

Matt S

Reaction score
All of the Benjamin suits I've seen on people here had a much too high button stance. RLBL has a classic button stance that looks better on almost everyone. I'm not as familiar with Caruso.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
I've found that RLBL's are bigger than other lines in the shoulders. I get a bit of overhang in the shoulders. And a ton of padding.

True. But I like the classic v-shape that it produces. The shoulders, howver, are not so large and overpadded that they look cartoony. They simply defy the present fashion for narrow shoulders.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
True. But I like the classic v-shape that it produces. The shoulders, howver, are not so large and overpadded that they look cartoony. They simply defy the present fashion for narrow shoulders.

Narrow shoulders? More like well-fitting shoulders. That never goes "out of fashion."

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
+1. I have a fairly lean, athletic torso (8.5in drop from chest to natural waist), but smaller, narrow shoulders (guess I don't focus on those too much in the gym). Also, from doing back exercises, the upper back muscles that extend up the base of the neck (forget which group this is) have gotten somewhat built up, making my shoulders appear even smaller. Therefore, having a little extra padding in the shoulders makes for a more even appearance than the softer, less structured shoulders being shown by many makers today.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Narrow shoulders? More like well-fitting shoulders. That never goes "out of fashion."
If you're shaped like a potato - even if a tall, lean potato - then well-fitted shoulders will make you look like a well-fitted tall, lean potato. What's wrong with a suit that provides the illusion that you are perhaps something other than said human spud? Seriously, this gets to an important issue: Should tailored clothes correct for whatever shortcomings you have relative to some physical ideal or should they ignore that objective in the interest of minimizing cloth? Both approaches taken too far can go awry, but within reason, I'm inclined more towards the former approach than the latter. Others, of course, are not. But I don't buy the argument that giving someone a bit of shoulder padding to correct for a less than-ideal V is giving somebody an ill-fitted suit. I have a 7" drop, which is pretty good as far as these things go. But the bit of shoulder that the RLBL provides just gives me a some additional visual flair without getting me into late-80s Armani country.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics