• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benjamin Bixby: Polo Ralph Lauren knockoffs (or homage) with a higher price tag?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
are you dense? most of the people in this thread complaining that the brand is unauthentic are out of touch aging white professionals

also sorry, but andre 3000 is no way a style icon

Closer to being a style icon than a clothing designer.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I don't know what role he has in his actual brand, but I hope it's more than justin timberlake has in william rast, which is another terrible, terrible brand, far, FAR worse than benjamin bixby

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Ben, I'd say Andre is pretty stylish. In a P. Diddy's little *****(forget his name) kinda way.

I would say he is somewhat stylish, but being stylish is not the same as being a 'style icon'

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teger, you're being very subjective here.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I would say he is somewhat stylish, but being stylish is not the same as being a 'style icon'

Who is a modern-day style icon? Ed Hardy? What we call an icon isn't what everyone else calls an icon.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Who is a modern-day style icon? Ed Hardy? What we call an icon isn't what everyone else calls an icon.

so your argument is that taste and influences are subjective? oh. my. god. no. way.

I didn't think I had to preface every post I made with in my opinion

I would say that vox is probably a good fashion icon...

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Closer to being a style icon than a clothing designer.

"Consisting of 70 pieces, the line is currently self-funded (he's looking for a partner) and, he hopes, will be at Barneys in the fall. Benjamin is a fashion autodidact: He has taken advice from Anna Wintour (who invited him to a Met gala), he has sketched the clothes himself, he has been to Italian factories and Parisian textile fairs."

From a NY Mag piece on the launch of the line.

I'm sure Andre has more involvement with the average Bixby piece than Ralph has with the average piece that has his (made-up-waspy) name on it.

Andre's not a fashion designer, but he's certainly been deeply involved in the creation of these clothes. This isn't a licensing deal.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Ben, I'd say Andre is pretty stylish. In a P. Diddy's little *****(forget his name) kinda way.

Fonzworth Bentley >>> Andre 3000 right now. Andre looks like a clown.

Actually, it's not surprising that posters think of him as a style icon. There's plenty of "oh, as long as I put lots of bright colors together I'm being stylish" going on.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Fonzworth Bentley >>> Andre 3000 right now. Andre looks like a clown. Actually, it's not surprising that posters think of him as a style icon. There's plenty of "oh, as long as I put lots of bright colors together I'm being stylish" going on.
Thank you for speaking for the rest of us. We would truly be bereft without your voice. I was also not aware that white counted as a 'bright colour', or that having 2-3 colours in an outfit (one of which is white) counted as 'lots of bright colours'. I have also never seen clowns who dress like Andre 3000. Thank you for enlightening us with your profound knowledge of colours, colour matching, how clowns dress, and for illuminating our sartorial ignorance with your bright shining light. Please keep up the great work.
thumbs-up.gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
There's plenty of "oh, as long as I put lots of bright colors together I'm being stylish" going on.

This is true. I love the GTH stuff; but it should generally be single items grounded with more subtle tones.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep
Thank you for speaking for the rest of us. We would truly be bereft without your voice.

I was also not aware that white counted as a 'bright colour', or that having 2-3 colours in an outfit (one of which is white) counted as 'lots of bright colours'. I have also never seen clowns who dress like Andre 3000.

Thank you for enlightening us with your profound knowledge of colours, colour matching, how clowns dress, and for illuminating our sartorial ignorance with your bright shining light. Please keep up the great work.
thumbs-up.gif

This was a very useful post. Way to stand up for the poor and oppressed masses, ye defender of the helpless.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laughing at the clueless BS in this thread.

The irony is that Andre is probably the most SF approved rapper out there in lyrics, style and everything else.

Let's look at Andre's ganstah fits. Specially the very end.

Gangstah
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Can we now STFU and talk about the actual clothes?

Macallan9

Reaction score
You're right, my apologies for derailing the thread and having instep come in and play public defender. As an apology, here are some Andre 3000 outfits - no bias, just all pulled from the first page of google images.
andre3000.jpg
andre-3000.jpg
andre-3000.jpg
Andre3000_sg.jpg
andre_3000_konsolekingz.jpg
Clown-Master.jpg
He does look nice in Green Light, although to be fair it's a music video and there was probably a stylist that dressed everyone.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, he's certainly not a corporate lawyer or a banker.

There's no doubt that especially in the past he often dressed outlandishly.

I mean, look at what he wore in the video for Rosa Parks (in the period where he was identifying with George Clinton and Sun Ra):

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

The stylistic expectations and requirements of being a professional musician are quite different.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Glen Plaid coat rocks.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads