• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benefits Question

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I posted this in the "Why do you need money" thread but I thought I would start a thread for legit feedback
Originally Posted by otc
My benefits enrollment period ends at midnight...

How should I decide whether to buy life/disability insurance?

Last year, when I started working, I declined short and long term as well as life insurance (although I had a years worth of a small life insurance policy given by my university)...what factors should I be looking at?

Basic life and AD&D is something like $1.80 a pay period (26 periods)
Short term disability is $2.58
Long term (60% of earnings) is $4.17

these all seem like they are pretty cheap...why wouldn't I pay under $10 every 2 weeks for coverage?

I will need to provide evidence of insurability since I didn't take these when I was hired...but this should be easy as a healthy 24 year old right?

tj100

Reaction score
Given the fact that they're so cheap, you might as well take the short and long term disability. Life insurance is probably completely unnecessary - but for $4 a month, what the heck?

Obviously, as a healthy 24 year old, the odds that you'll claim on any of these are quite low, which is reflected in their respective costs. But assuming that you make enough that $20 a month is basically free, you might as well take them.

xudisco07

Reaction score
It depends what is the basic life coverage and is it term? I really hope you will never need AD&D. If you are 24 I doubt you really need that especially if it's term. If you have to pick between short or long term I would say you should pick short term since you would most likely need that more before long term.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't take the STD and LTD options. For the price of a couple of light beers every two weeks, it'll keep you in light beers while you and your crippled back are watching Montel all day long.

The life insurance is less important unless you have a spouse and/or children. Hard to say whether or not it's a good deal too without knowing what the death benefit is.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You should absolutely take those!

Also, as a healthy 24 year old, you need to go buy some level term until age 90 life insurance. Get about 500k and also buy the little waiver that says you can increase your coverage at intervals no matter if you are currently insurable or not. Seriously, go do this and thank me later.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions...I ended up taking them all (or rather, I checked the boxes before leaving work and intended to check back with the thread later but I went out to dinner with a friend and totally forgot so I ended up with all 3)

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

Also, as a healthy 24 year old, you need to go buy some level term until age 90 life insurance. Get about 500k and also buy the little waiver that says you can increase your coverage at intervals no matter if you are currently insurable or not. Seriously, go do this and thank me later.

More about this please..

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
More about this please..

Not sure what you mean. Obviously, life insurance is cheaper the younger you buy it. You will also become uninsurable at some point, and no one knows when this will be for them. So get some now, while you're young and it's cheap and you're still insurable. Buy the waiver as if your needs changed (wife, kids..or contract a terminal disease) you can up your coverage.

AlinaAlan

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I am new member and I like the all above suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

WallStPeon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

You should definitely do this...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads