• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benefits of NYC as young Attorney

Lowndes

Reaction score
I was curious as to how beneficial people thought it was to gain legal experience in NYC? I'm currently a 1st year associate at a large law firm and am starting to wonder if it is really worth it to live here considering my salary would be exactly the same but since I wouldn't have city or state taxes my take-home pay would be about $1800 more a month.

I absolutely love living in NYC and don't really care for where I am thinking about moving to but the amount I work it's not like I get to take advantage of the city anyways. Other benefits of moving are that I would get to spend more time with my wife since lawyers in the other city tend to work at home more in the evenings rather than the office, have a much nicer place to live, wife wouldn't have to work and actually be able to save some money.

Just interested in hearing a few peoples opinion on the topic. Thanks

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont see the point in living in nyc and not being able to enjoy it. if it were me i'd either do a good job for a few years hopefully with promotions and then try and get a job at a smaller firm for lesser hours. otherwise i'd bail out now

Lowndes

Reaction score
I could also add I would be working for the exact same firm in the new city.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
It depends on what you want out of life - $1,800 a month is small change if you make enough connections in a year or two to allow you to work anywhere and reach back and call on your NYC network.

However, if you're not taking advantage of it and simply working crazy hours and not meeting anyone, get the hell out.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
It depends on what you want out of life - $1,800 a month is small change if you make enough connections in a year or two to allow you to work anywhere and reach back and call on your NYC network.

However, if you're not taking advantage of it and simply working crazy hours and not meeting anyone, get the hell out.

That was kind of my initial thinking but as it turns out most of the contacts I am making are not in NYC but in the city that I am thinking about moving to as that is where most of our clients are based and where opposing counsel usually is.

I feel it might be a tough subject asking to be moved after only be in NYC for a year or so.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These two statements seem rather contradictory to me
Originally Posted by Lowndes
I absolutely love living in NYC
but the amount I work it's not like I get to take advantage of the city anyways.

Why do you love it then if you don't take advantage of it?

NYC is expensive - some people think the life is worth the price, some don't. Just like with everything that is expensive, or that simply has a price. No one but you can tell if it's worth $1800 a month or not.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could also add I would be working for the exact same firm in the new city.
Is the work you're doing concentrated in NYC? When I worked for a law firm, I worked with lawyers in other offices, but I'm sure that NYC had most of the corporate/M&A work.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Is the work you're doing concentrated in NYC? When I worked for a law firm, I worked with lawyers in other offices, but I'm sure that NYC had most of the corporate/M&A work.

No, not really. There probably wouldn't be any difference in the type of work I do whether I am in NYC or the other city.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
These two statements seem rather contradictory to me

Why do you love it then if you don't take advantage of it?

NYC is expensive - some people think the life is worth the price, some don't. Just like with everything that is expensive, or that simply has a price. No one but you can tell if it's worth $1800 a month or not.

Well, I've loved it when I have free time which does occur on occasion with the ebbs and flow of law practice. There is just so much to do. But I've recently come to the conclusion that those few good times aren't really worth $1800 a month to me.

More curious if just having several years of work experience in NYC is helpful down the line. I've heard a few people who says that it is great to start your career in NYC and then move elsewhere. Considering that I would be doing the same work in the other city as I would be here I just don't completely understand why that is.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the firm is based in NYC, and you have an eye on making partner, staying in NYC can be advantageous. I can't think of any other major upside.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
If the firm is based in NYC, and you have an eye on making partner, staying in NYC can be advantageous. I can't think of any other major upside.

Thanks for the input. Firm is not based in NYC and I would be moving to the home office.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The decision is really pretty clear cut for most people.

The type of people who would live in Dallas/Houston or Florida are generally not NYC people, and vice versa.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Firm is not based in NYC and I would be moving to the home office.

Move and enjoy some free time with family. Change can be good and best of luck!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
$1800 is a rounding error for what you'll be making in your 40s. Forget saving. That's poor people thinking. Focus on the big picture.

For the majority of people in the OP's position (junior associate working at large law firm in NYC), they will never make as much as they did in the early part of their career. The ones who move on to post-Biglaw success will eventually make more, but only after taking a large paycut in the interim. It's just the wacky way the law world works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads