• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benefits of Green Tea

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can attribute any results to drinking alot of green tea throughout the years.

We drink some Yamamotoyama green tea from the market but now our work has started to stock this green tea so i get to drink bagsfull of it daily for the past 3 weeks. (like 5 or 6 tea bags a day)

so i dont know what the true benefits are ( i have read the googled benefits but dont know about the different qualities and such and mine is just the plain dried leaves in a bag, dont know how effective that is but nonetheless better than nothing and i drink lots of it ever yda now)

right now the obvious effects of it is it keeps my appetite in control. ive also found out that i am more regular with less effort. (maybe that is also due to my barley grass drink every day)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
frown.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who swears by it. It's changed him a lot, but he denies it.

Here's his pic:

papa_smurf_med.jpg

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drink it everyday, and everyday I feel like a champion.

I prefer gyokuro.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
is gyokuro found at your local grocery store?
Jesus, no. Well, some importers have it but it is terrible quality.
is it a dried leaves packet?
Christ Jesus, no. Actually, some great stuff can be found here. Otherwise, I order directly from the tea farms in Japan. I have a thread on "Japanese Green Tea" that no one looks at, more recommendations can be found there.

gwydion

Reaction score
I buy my teas from Adagio, www.adagio.com. I'm not a fan of bags as its the crumbs of tea leaves and if it is tea leaves, the leaves don't have much room to expand in the bags usually. As far as I know, Black, White, Oolong and Green teas all have the similar benefits as they are from the same plant (Camellia sinensis) but they undergo different levels of oxidation I think.

I usually drink Black tea(Irish Breakfast, Ceylon Sonata, Yunnan Gold) but I'd like to open myself up to other stuff. I tried a honeybrush rooibois the other day and it was awesome. Any suggestions for any non-black teas? No herbals though.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Green tea is high in polyphenol antioxidants - specifically catechins. The long term benefits of catechins are still being debated and studied. Polyphenols in general have anti-inflammatory properties which consequently may help to prevent heart disease. They also may be helpful in lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. The appetite suppression is also pretty obvious. You can figure that in addition to your perfect diet
teacha.gif
that drinking a couple of glasses of green tea a day can aid in heart health and overall well-being.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read studies in JAMA that it reduces risk of some throat cancer and prostate cancer. Anti-plaque but can turn teeth darker depending on strength/type of green tea( i.e. gunpowder in big loose leaf box).

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
The packets may have less pure green tea and more filler if they're cheaper, leading to less potency. Otherwise, there's relatively no difference. The problem is the quantity of these particular antioxidants necessary in order to be effective - it likely takes at least 3-4 cups of tea daily for a lengthy period of time to have any lasting effect.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are all these benefits also found somewhat in your regular dried leave packet green tea from the local market or not?
Good stuff:
Gyokuro.jpg
The stuff in a bag:
teabag.jpg
Notice the beautiful deep green of the loose leaf tea? This is a quality tea because there is only whole leaf green tea (maybe even picked and rolled by hand!). The "stuff in a bag" is likely cut by a machine that also picks up sticks and grounds them with the tea. This tea is not hand rolled and stored properly, rather it dries out and you get crumbles of tea in your bag. It also tastes bitter and disgusting. Now, is it possible to get quality tea in a bag? Yes, but check out the thread I mentioned above for possibilities.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have started having green tea at office too instead of coffee. However, don't over-drink it. One day I had maybe around 4 cups and I kid you not the damn thing got me constipated.
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads