• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benefits of expensive eye and sunglasses?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds silly, but I was wondering why exactly some eye and sunglasses are significantly more expensive? In another thread, for example, I saw a number swear by Ray Bans and other have specific designer favorites. Past a certain point, does functionality remain the same and does style simply turn subjective?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used several pairs of Lindberg eyeglasses that are made of titanium. After several years of use, they still look like new. It is light, hypo-allergenic and sturdy. It has a balance of clean design lines and functions well. They are not cheap, but definitely great value as most of their designs are timeless and will last you forever.

The other brand that I use now is Mykita. These are made of stainless steel and has amazing workmanship. Also very light and durable. Its design is a little more fashion forward, but not extreme.

If you take care to select frames, they will service you for many years. SF members seem to spend lots on shoes. About time some of use spend on accessories that sit on our faces. This is the value of expensive eyewear.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will not even consider sunglasses that don't have Polarized glass lenses.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Sounds silly, but I was wondering why exactly some eye and sunglasses are significantly more expensive? In another thread, for example, I saw a number swear by Ray Bans and other have specific designer favorites. Past a certain point, does functionality remain the same and does style simply turn subjective?

I am one of the people from the other thread that swears by Ray Bans and yes, it definitely makes a difference. Cheaper glasses have ****** lenses that you can barely see through and flimsy frames that eventually break. My Ray Bans have much heavier frames than any other sunglasses I've worn and therefore don't bend and contort themselves into all different shapes, and the lenses are as clear as they were the day I bought them and have not developed that "film" that cheaper lenses develop.

Your question is like asking what the difference is between a Club Room dress shirt from Macys and a Turnbull & Asser.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I will not even consider sunglasses that don't have Polarized glass lenses.

While polarized glasses do cut a lot of glare, they can also hide certain kinds of road debris like liquids. Spilled oil or especially spilled coolant can be very slippery. So be careful if you're driving with them.

--Andre

Ed13

Reaction score
I own the following sunglasses;

1. Bolle - approx $70
2. Mauai (sic) Jim Titanium - Found on street approx $300
3. Gucci - $400
4. Ray Bans - $160

The Ray Bans are by far my favourite of the four. The Gucci's were a gift and I like the least. Bolle's have a plastic lense and are a good value for the price.

I look for good quality polarized lenses. I will probably continue to buy Ray Bans. High quality frames and lenses. The Gucci glasses have the cheapest quality frames.

MTeplitsky

Reaction score
My long-time optometrist, Dr. Gary Tracy in NYC, just posted an article about buying sunglasses on his site http://www.garytracyod.com. He carries a nice selection of sunglasses and regular frame, all top-quality. Disclosure: I do marketing work for Gary and want to help bring his voice and expertise into more online conversations about eyecare/wear. He really does know his stuff.

alflauren

Reaction score
This is not really a benefit of "expensive" eyewear; it's just a benefit of eyewear that isn't total crap:

I have noticed that some of the cheap sunglasses in drugstores and even some of the mid-priced sunglasses on designer websites have glass lenses. This is dangerous as all hell. Once smack to the face that shatters the lens, and your vision in that eye is as good as gone.

If you see a deeply discounted design that you like, make sure you check the lens material.

thisisme

Reaction score
safilo brand vs luxoticca group ? any major differences ?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've had a difficult time with American optometrists regarding glass lenses.

How so?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found a distinct difference in quality between Silhouettes and the knockoff hingeless frames (Maui Jim for example), favoring the original.

stach

Reaction score
I have three pair of moderate/expensive sunglasses from $300.00 to $150.00. They hold their balance well and they don't turn my skin green. I also have a few cheap dollar type pairs on hand to loan to friends if they need them or sometimes I will wear them just for the variety.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads