Bends or OkComputer

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by MetroStyles, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

OKC, easily. The Bends is what got me into Radiohead, but the songs on OKC are superior.

2. AdamG

AdamG Senior member

Bends for me. I actually got into Radiohead with OC, but the Bends just has a richer sound for me, the lead guitar is immense and just rips through you.

OC when I'm skating home late at night, Bends when I'm chilling in my warm flat haha.

3. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

They are two completely different albums. If anything is another "OKC" it would be "HTTT" simply because the themes and sonic qualities are easily comparable: dark, brooding, and paranoid.

"IR" is simply too stripped down of an album and is definitely not the concept album "OKC" is, even if quite a few songs on "IR" are rewrites from the "OKC" era or earlier.

Agreed, nothing like it. I would even say HTTT is nothing like OK Computer. Also I hate these types of comparisons because there is no real answer. Each album of Radiohead is quite different with the exception of Kid A and Amnesiac (both being somewhat similar), you can't make a comparison because the albums hit you in different ways and the appreciation is relative to what you like and dislike about each style of music. Personally I see the bends as the way pop rock is meant to be done, perfect for cruising, relaxing, being carefree and pleasant whilst slightly pessimistic. OK Computer is more serious, complex, alternative, pessimistic, touching more on philosophy, one of my favourite albums to wake up to. How can I choose a favourite though? They both suit their purpose and fill their niche/style quite well. I despise the people at amazon.com who decide to rate every Radiohead album on the basis of OK Computer, certainly thought radiohead's fans would have a bit more of an open mind then that.

/end rant

4. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

OKC, easily. The Bends is what got me into Radiohead, but the songs on OKC are superior.
    This is the right answer, IMO. Lets list some of the songs from OKC: Paranoid Android Exit Music Let Down Karma Police Climbing up the Walls No Surprises Lucky Each one of these songs is absolutely amazing, with some killer lyrics. The Bends too has some very good songs (Street Spirit is pretty much the perfect closer and one of my all time favorites), but it pales in comparison to OKC. - A real Radiohead fan.

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

This is the right answer. Lets list some of the songs from OKC:

Paranoid Android
    Exit Music
    Let Down
    Karma Police
    Climbing up the Walls
    No Surprises
    Lucky

Each one of these songs is absolutely amazing, with some killer lyrics. The Bends too has some very good songs (Street Spirit is pretty much the perfect closer and one of my all time favorites), but it pales in comparison to OKC.

- A real Radiohead fan.

Just your opinion.

6. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Just your opinion.

Uh..isnt that what the poll is for?

7. MetroStyles

Uh..isnt that what the poll is for?
    I just didn't like how you framed it absolutely. It was overall quite pretentious. Just my opinion.

8. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

I just didn't like how you framed it absolutely. It was overall quite pretentious. Just my opinion.

happy?

9. MetroStyles

happy?

Very. Thanks, bra! [​IMG]

10. breakz

breakz Senior member

You are all fools. Pablo Honey is the most underappreciated classic of the 1990s.

Jerks.

11. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

Radiohead blows fat dick.

completely unlistenable.

12. nathan

nathan Well-Known Member

I'm a purist, so I'd vote for The Bends.

I love the sounds of the guitars in that album. It kinda reminds me of Siamese Dream which was also awesome.

13. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

A more fun exercise is to pick the top 12-14 radiohead songs, or to compile kind of a best of Radiohead album. Its nearly impossible for me.

14. MetroStyles

I don't understand why Street Spirit is famous but Black Star doesn't get as much love. Superior song imo.

15. AGPi

AGPi Senior member

OK Computer. In Rainbows #2, Bends #3. Far too much filler on the others ... the Pyramid Song, Spinning Plates, and There There are classics.