• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ben silver

The Dandy

Reaction score
I've been a customer of Ben Silver for a number of years and I've found their products, while expensive, are of good quality.  The style is definitely something that isn't for everyone, as you won't see the average man on the street wearing a tie and a blue blazer around as his normal dress, but I rather like it.

I agree with Will in that recently, I've noticed that the styles represented in the catalog have changed significantly, going from the rather conservative, more traditional styles, of which I happen to be quite fond, to more "fashionable" combinations, like the fuscia tie picture.  My personal opinion is that this shift is directly correlated to the increased role of women in the company, from the relatively new women's collection, to what I suspect is a female coordinating clothes for the catalog.  Suffice to say, I much preferred the "pre-women's" version of Ben Silver.

Regarding pink seersucker, I own a pair of pink seersucker pants which I'm quite fond of.  I'm rather surprised at the Christopher Street comment, as I'm yet to see anyone even vaguely homosexual wearing seersucker, much less pink seersucker.  Seersucker is right up there with wingtips, braces, and knee length argyle socks as something I can't imagine anyone concerned about things that are hip or fashionable would wear.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen: I first received their catalog a few months back, and I wasnt terribly impressed with the manner in which they created ensembles and matched colors and patterns. Â Of course I was extrememly critical about their ties as well of which I liked very few. I am curious as to what popular consensus is regarding the first of the two issues. Is it just me or are their color combos a little "interesting"?
271_R1.jpg
Essen_SCoat1a_sp041.jpg
And one of my favorites...
Essen_SCoat3_sp041.jpg
And finally, is anyone really wearing Pink or light red seersucker?
classicHomePic1.jpg
Ridiculious in all ways.

aarghh

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while - my first message here. Many thanks to all who make this forum a joy to peruse.

More than just the colors, I'm a little surprised that none of the gentlemen, barring the one in the red seersucker jacket, show any shirt cuffs at all. I can buy the argument that Southern dressing is different with regards to color and patterns, but isn't the 0.5 inch cuff sleeve thing more or less universal? Am I missing something?

Of course, I shall now be upbraided by an Outer Mongolian Beau Brummell for my narrow views.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For example the salmon tie with the brown and orange check blazer and the Blue pocket square...  Where does the Salmon color come in and then the blue?
Easy. The check on the jacket is orangish, which is "brought out" even further with the solid salmon tie; the tie emphasizes this accent. The blue pocket square goes with the light blue shirt.

I think it's a great interpretation of color and coordination, although I probably don't have the guts to wear that combination outside of a movie set.

Edit: aarghh brings up a good point. Why aren't these men showing their cuffs?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've wondered about the Ben Silver cuff issue myself, and have concluded that they simply are wearing off the peg jackets that haven't had their sleeves shortened. That way they could still use (sell?) the jacket. That's just my speculation.

Phil

Reaction score
I wouldnt have figured seersucker of any kind, pink included, being something that would have caught the fancy of fashionista types, but I have in fact seen 3 men down in the west village in nyc sporting either pink (couldve been red) seersucker suits over the past 2 summers. In fact, the window displays at Bergdorfs last summer had a few pink seersuckers featured. The brand of the suits escapes me right now, but I thought they looked very nice. I think the preppy trend that has surfaced in the past few years may be rubbing off on all sorts of people, not just old fashioned new england wasp types. I work with a few gay graphic designers, and one was wearing a Jpress ribbon belt and a repp tie last week. Dont think I would have seen that a few years ago.

adirondaki

Reaction score
They offer fairly high quality merchandise which is thoughtfully selected and usually pretty stylish; however, their prices are set pretty high.  Sometimes you can find a bargain in their outlet section.  I think their catalogue and website showcase their products well.

Two complaints: 1) I have ordered "club" ties (motif ties) from them, and found the quality to be middling; and 2) customer service is fairly bad: it is surprising, because it seems like the sort of operation that would want to impress customers with its attentiveness, but I have had a number of frustrating experiences, and I am relatively easy-going.

quill

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while - my first message here. Many thanks to all  who make this forum a joy to peruse.

More than just the colors, I'm a little surprised that none of the gentlemen, barring the one in the red seersucker jacket, show any shirt cuffs at all. I can buy the argument that Southern dressing is different with regards to color and patterns, but isn't the 0.5 inch cuff sleeve thing more or less universal? Am I missing something?

Of course,  I shall now be upbraided by an Outer Mongolian Beau Brummell for my narrow views.
On a sidebar note, here's a "tip of the hat" welcome to you, aargh (great avatar. ). What does your sig mean..."nobody knows everything," or something like that? I'm not a Latin scholar.

And on topic, I'm hearing around that seersucker is fast returning to top kudos in fashion. Is that true? Or is it just the seasonal fever?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been lurking for a while - my first message here. Many thanks to all  who make this forum a joy to peruse. More than just the colors, I'm a little surprised that none of the gentlemen, barring the one in the red seersucker jacket, show any shirt cuffs at all. I can buy the argument that Southern dressing is different with regards to color and patterns, but isn't the 0.5 inch cuff sleeve thing more or less universal? Am I missing something? Of course,  I shall now be upbraided by an Outer Mongolian Beau Brummell for my narrow views.
I think you're spot on, of course I'm no Outer Mongolian Beau Brummell.
wink.gif
It would appear to me that the AD or catalogue team rushed this shoot a bit too much.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that some of the combinations they picture are a bit...adventuresome. However, taken individually, I think a great deal of their selection. They obviously put a great deal of thought and time into the merchandise. A good balance of traditional goods and not so traditional goods to try and expand their customers wardrobes. I respect them allot.

aarghh

Reaction score
On a sidebar note, here's a "tip of the hat" welcome to you, aargh (great avatar. ). What does your sig mean..."nobody knows everything," or something like that? I'm not a Latin scholar.
Thank you, Quill. I'm no Latin scholar myself, but you're pretty close. It means "We cannot all do everything", and is attributed to Virgil.
However, taken individually, I think a great deal of their selection. They obviously put a great deal of thought and time into the merchandise.
I agree - I particularly like their collection of regimental ties. In fact, I'm seriously considering getting the Calcutta Light Horse one for my father - he happens to be a great fan of the movie "The Sea Wolves". I'm also considering wearing the MCC tie to my next cricket match - but don't know if I'm prepared to take the ribbing from my team mates.
wink.gif

The Dandy

Reaction score
Phil, I must say I'm very surprised at your comments. Seersucker, repp ties, ribbon belts, and most anything from J. Press are items I would have never thought to associate with high fashion and trendy clothing.

Regarding the jacket length issue, it may be an intentional "mistake." I still know a significant number of men who are trapped in the Armani-inspired "too short shirtsleeves and too long jacketsleeves" look. An alternate possibility is that the new stylist is simply ignorant and doesn't know the norms of men's fashion. If the catalog starts featuring two button jackets with both buttons buttoned, what I like to call the "tragic death of Brooks Brothers" look, we'll know for sure.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phil, I must say I'm very surprised at your comments. Â Seersucker, repp ties, ribbon belts, and most anything from J. Press are items I would have never thought to associate with high fashion and trendy clothing. Â
You've got to love J. Press . . . I mean even if you don't like J. Press, you've got to love them.
wink.gif

krakatoa

Reaction score

2) customer service is fairly bad: it is surprising, because it seems like the sort of operation that would want to impress customers with its attentiveness, but I have had a number of frustrating experiences, and I am relatively easy-going.

+1. I placed an order for a couple of items, and received a shipping confirmation which listed only one. No explanation or attempt to contact me about the missing item. It was left to me to contact them and find out it was out of stock. Because of this passive/reactive approach, I probably won't hurry back to shop with them again. However (after I complained) they did waive the shipping charge as a goodwill gesture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads