1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Silver Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by senator1214, Apr 28, 2008.

1. senator1214

senator1214 Well-Known Member

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Drakes I believe.

3. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

Drakes unfortunately only makes a small handfull of there ties while the rest are made by some other maker in the UK I believe.

4. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

Very colorful, I like. how much do they run, I do not see any prices on his website.

5. CharlestonBows

CharlestonBows Senior member

I don't know that they're made in the UK. In fact, I think I recall there being a bit of a fuss over the whole "London" thing, precisely because of that lacking affiliation nowadays. I'll have to check on that, but I do remember the conversation here on King St. not too long ago.

As far as cost, you can get the basic regimentals for around 85, other 'seasonable' ties for around 115-125, and the Drake ties at about 130-135 or so.

6. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

7. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

8. newtrane

newtrane Senior member

Do you mean the Ben Silver regimentals are made by Benson & Clegg? Are you sure about that?

9. rebenga

rebenga Senior member

Related question...

I got a pile of ties from my grandfather and one of them is Hill & Drake.

Did Charles Hill and Drake tie companies make ties together at some point or am I off base?

10. GHo

GHo Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could I get some "guidance" on these? Decent ties? The paisley is $33 and the natte weave is $48 right now.

Those natte weave ties (purple, orange, pink) have been on sale forever. Makes me think they have some issues???

Can anyone help a brotha out?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  11. GHo

GHo Senior member

like this one too.... unlined silk shantung is chocolate.

[​IMG]

12. hangthree

hangthree Senior member

i have one of the $85 regimentals...great color scheme but couldn't get the tie to hold a dimple like most of my other ties. I'll stick with Drakes, et cetera.

13. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I am not a big fan of those. They are likely on sale, because nobody is really in the market for paisley or pink ties these days.

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Contrary to nmoraitis' post above, most of Ben Silver's non regimental/university ties are made by Drake's. Or at least that's what their SAs tell me...

15. GHo

GHo Senior member

Interesting. I saw that above but no one really "confirmed".

So these ties are up to Drake's standards? I really like that chocolate tie at less than $40.

16. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Yeah I was in there a couple months ago for their warehouse sale and all of their neat and patterned ties were made by Drake's according to the SA I was talking to. I know Spoo spelled out which were and which were not Drake's when the sale was on but I can't hunt that thread down for some reason.

Either way for under $40 I'm not sure why you don't just pull the trigger. IMO ties are like pocket squares. If you like then buy. You're not buying a suit or a pair of black cap toes that will likely feel your wrath hundreds of times throughout their lives. For a tie, if you like it and the price is right then I say buy. Sometimes we get too caught up in "quality" and "craftsmanship" when it isn't that crucial... myself included :embar:

17. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I don't know about "most," but a fair number are. I think the chocolate shantung is one of them.

18. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most of their ties are not made by Drakes but the ones they sell for around $135 are.

A Drakes tie costs the same at wholesale with or without the Drakes label, and no merchant can sell them for $85.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The vast majority of Ben Silvers dont have a maker or even a country of manufacture on the label. The drakes are a small % of their offering.

My guess is a US maker. They do use English silks for the vast majority if their ties.