Ben Silver Regimental Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Panzeraxe, May 11, 2005.

1. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Can someone please comment on the quality of these ties? - at $80 they're not cheap but I like one of their designs (which is the same as that of my alma mater)

Panzer

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

LIAR.... KILL HIM...... [​IMG] No first hand experience but people seem to like them.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have a ben silver tie and it is very solid.

4. JLA

JLA Active Member

Ben Silver has some nice patterns and colors. The quality is somewhere in the middle of the pack. I also had the rear seam come apart on a one year old tie and they repaired it no charge.
    For around the same price you can get Brooks Bros. or a Robert Talbort( better ties, more money).

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

I had a couple and they were OK. Very conservative. A bit too skinny for my taste. My taste runs to ties about 3.75 to 3 7/8 inches wide. A lot of guys here like skinnier ties.

I ended up giving them to the Salvation Army because I really didn't like them that much.

6. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

(Panzeraxe @ May 11 2005,16:11) Can someone please comment on the quality of these ties? - at $80 they're not cheap but I like one of their designs (which is the same as that of my alma mater) Panzer
    I had a couple and they were OK. Very conservative. A bit too skinny for my taste. My taste runs to ties about 3.75 to 3 7/8 inches wide. A lot of guys here like skinnier ties. Â I ended up giving them to the Salvation Army because I really didn't like them that much.
    Was it just the skininess that you didn't like, or did they also not tie a good knot? Thanks, Panzer

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

(Stu @ May 12 2005,14:35)
    Can someone please comment on the quality of these ties? - at $80 they're not cheap but I like one of their designs (which is the same as that of my alma mater) Panzer
    I had a couple and they were OK. Very conservative. A bit too skinny for my taste. My taste runs to ties about 3.75 to 3 7/8 inches wide. A lot of guys here like skinnier ties. Â I ended up giving them to the Salvation Army because I really didn't like them that much.
    Was it just the skininess that you didn't like, or did they also not tie a good knot? Thanks, Panzer
    Mostly just the skinniness. They looked funny to me. The construction is OK, but at that price point, compared to what you can get on Ebay and elsewhere, they aren't worth it, IMO.

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My God, these are so beautiful. I must buy them all.

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I emailed Ben Silver about their tie widths but have yet to receive a response. What other tie-makers make colorful patterns similar to the Regimental collection?

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Kent, look at Robert Talbott, J Press and Brooks Brothers for regimentals.

11. fashionsnob

fashionsnob Well-Known Member

IMO Ben Silver isn't really known for Regimental ties. Instead: Atkinsons Ties, Brooks Brothers, Parsley Neckwear, and Sam Hobler are great. I actually wrote an article for my blog on what makes a classic British necktie: http://www.ties-necktie.com/blog/wra...h-Necktie.html Hope this helps

12. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

IMO Ben Silver isn't really known for Regimental ties.

I thought that's what Ben Silver was known for. That, and expensive blazer buttons. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think they look nicer in the catalogue than in person, and are a bit too skinny in my book.

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I thought that's what Ben Silver was known for. That, and expensive blazer buttons. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think they look nicer in the catalogue than in person, and are a bit too skinny in my book.

They are very much known for regimentals, although the quality isn't of the same level as their price.

14. neckties

neckties New Member

It has some common misunderstandings about silk tie quality, even so-called expert. Read a blog article to clarify the silk tie quality concept: 100% silk ties - how much you know.

15. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Senior member

Kent, look at Robert Talbott, J Press and Brooks Brothers for regimentals.

Also Benson and Clegg.