• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ben Silver Grenadine Ties - sizes

Phil

Reaction score
Got into my office this morning and the package was waiting for me. 3 Ben Silver Grenadines, all sized 3 1/2 inches. I cant figure out their sizing policy over there. I have a few regimentals that are 3 3/8, and then these are 3 1/2. I can understand when they sell Drakes or other brands, but both the regimentals and these are Ben Silver labeled. I wonder why the discrepancy. In either case, I am completely satisfied with the ties, they look great, and for $25.50 you can really go wrong.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and for $25.50 you can really go wrong.
Ahhh... A Freudian Slip no doubt.
tounge.gif
JJF EDIT: Wear them well and enjoy them.

ViroBono

Reaction score
As a new member here, and one from across the pond, can I ask what you may consider a stupid question: does 'regimental', refer to any diagonal striped tie, or does it mean actual regimental, corps or service ties (as it would here)?

Phil

Reaction score
FIH- yeah, bad typing on my part. Quick question for you - do you sell ties? Im always looking for new grenadines, do you have a source for them?

Nonk

Reaction score
Virobono, I was wondering that too. Flusser seems to indicate that it refers to any diagonal striped tie, notably with the stripe running the opposite direction in the US (don't know about Canada)

While on the subject can you recommend a supplier of Regimental ties, as mine was from the PRI a few years ago, is beginning to show its age, and was of disappointing quality when new. I am after something of thicker, heavier construction that will sit better and dimple.(In my Corps of course)

Ps Phil, have you got a link to your tie supplier, I love grenadine ties, especially at $25.

Phil

Reaction score
Nonk- I got these at www.bensilver.com, and then typed grenadine into the search option. I get most of mine from Paul Stuart and New and Lingwood. Ive also had Tie Crafters in NYC make a few for me over the years. And lastly, I am waiting for shipment on a black/cream grenadine from Polo, marked down to $72.00 from $95.00. They are hard to find, which makes them both frustrating and fun to collect.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a new member here, and one from across the pond, can I ask what you may consider a stupid question: does 'regimental', refer to any diagonal striped tie, or does it mean actual regimental, corps or service ties (as it would here)?
I believe that in American usage "regimental" ties may not refer necessarily to a particular regiment.

Also, Americans use repp tie to mean striped ties in a "regimental" fashion, though I read once that repp refers to the cut of the silk.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ViroBono @ 22 Nov. 2004, 05:24) As a new member here, and one from across the pond, can I ask what you may consider a stupid question: does 'regimental', refer to any diagonal striped tie, or does it mean actual regimental, corps or service ties (as it would here)?
I believe that in American usage "regimental" ties may not refer necessarily to a particular regiment. Also, Americans use repp tie to mean striped ties in a "regimental" fashion, though I read once that repp refers to the cut of the silk.
This from Ben silver's site. Incidentally they mention that the Leonard ties use 24 colors... http://www.bensilver.com/style04/ties_fabricdesign.htm Fabric Design Woven neckwear is capable of great complexity and subtlety. In every weave, warp yarns and weft yarns are interlaced to produce the fabric. Warp threads run lengthwise on a loom, part elevated, part lower. The space between the two levels is threaded with the filling, or weft, horizontally, by a shuttle, back and forth. The shuttle connects to the bobbin, which holds the thread. When the shuttle reaches the opposite end, the warp threads are reversed: the lower ones are raised, and the higher ones are lowered. Then the shuttle returns in the opposite direction, weaving the filling another row. Essentially all weaving occurs this way, and the weaves which are the result of the shuttle passing from one side to the other differ in the stitches woven under or over to form a particular pattern. Of the many ways to weave, fine silk repp is perhaps the most recognized. In this weave the ribs, which are very tightly woven, produce intense color and crispness, because the weft is floated on the surface of the material instead of being woven in. On the reverse, repp ties are always darker, because all the colored threads are on the front of the fabric. Faille has a more conspicuous grain. Twill has diagonal ribs. Since the fabric is cut on the bias, the necktie produced will show the ribs at a 45 degree angle to the weave. Thus, twill will show as either horizontal or vertical depending upon the pattern of the cutting, and ottoman and repp show as diagonal.Traditional Macclesfield or Spitalsfield patterns, both of which have small geometric figures giving the effect of marquetry on the tie, or silver "wedding" wovens, are always elegant with a spread collar. Houndstooth and shepherd checks, basketweaves, neats with elegant settings - are all classic wovens which will dress any suit beautifully. Generally, they fall into the category of all-over ties, since they cover the entire tie surface with a single motif. Solid ties are always appropriate. They offer an understated, elegant alternative with a solid shirt and a suit. However, a solid tie is especially appropriate when you select a stronger shirting fabric. Solids with texture provide more surface interest, and so we recommend ottoman weaves or grenadines for dressy selections. Ottomans are woven with a higher surface "float" and have a wider rib than repp. Grenadine is actually derived from thin silk gauze and is very sheer - a bit like a knit with its loose weave of twisted yarns. Grenadine is appreciated for the elegant knot it ties and for its excellent drape. A wool or cashmere solid with a sport jacket and check or plaid shirt is a wonderful look for the country or a more sporty occasion. The striped repp tie is appreciated by the well-dressed gentleman who knows that its brilliant color, when woven authentically on English repp, makes a statement of boldness within traditional bounds. Besides, the striped tie is recognized as adding strength and definition to the softer or wider face. Always at home with a blazer, it is equally attractive with a business suit during the day, and sets off every shirt collar. Crested neckwear is wonderful with a striped or check shirt. It is elegant with a plaid jacket. Crested ties are entirely under-utilized in most men's wardrobes. Many crests are on dark grounds of navy or black and the motif stands out handsomely. Others are on brilliant fields of color, and the tie can be seen as taking the place of a solid. Print neckwear can be elegant and sophisticated. Traditional paisley and clover patterns, or all over fancies, can be tasteful and brilliantly colored. Paisley's dominant motif takes the form of drops or tears, and have a history which goes back thousands of years to Babylonian times where it was a stylized variation on the shape of young shoots of the date palm (A fertility symbol in ancient days). This symbol continued throughout Indo-European culture, finding its way to England through Indian woven shawls which became so fashionable that mills were established to weave them in Paisley, Scotland. Many of what are known as "classic designs," come from the archives of the printing mills as much as they do from the woven archives. (But beware the conversation tie, cheaply printed on lesser cloths but passing for a designer product.) In a British or Italian printing plant, the print process and the dye process are uniquely developed. Prints are made by either by application printing or discharge printing processes. Complex and richly colored patterns can be achieved with application printing - an additive process where each color is individually applied with separate screens - with as many as 8 colors in exact registration. In the discharge print process, colors are subtracted from a previously dyed silk. Leonard neckties, which are printed in Italy by application of as many as 24 colors, are unique in their color complexity. Animal and figure motifs for sport and hunting have a British heritage and are very classic. While originally a sign of the involvement of the wearer with the sport, now they are enjoyed as fanciful patterns by all.

ViroBono

Reaction score
Thank you for the answers. Nonk - I get mine here: Benson & Clegg The non-crease silk versions are excellent, and they do a full mail order service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads