• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belvest white label vs blue label

redtree00

Reaction score
All, I have searched the forum and I have not been able to find a conclusive answer to this; Belvest Blue Label ? is it a lower line ? higher ? equal ? Here is a link to a white label auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....61&rd=1 And here is one to a blue label auction from the same seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....74&rd=1 My untrained eyes can't detect a difference, can anybody shed light on this ? Thank you in advance, redtree00

redtree00

Reaction score
Calling all the suit mavens among you ....

Anyone ?.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucky you -- I'm up late working.

There have been rumors that Blue Label is fused, but the picture makes it appear to be a full canvas offering.

The White Label is definitely the highest, however, and you are better safe than sorry -- in other words, spend a dab more for the white label if you consider these auctions.

Watch out with Belvest though -- I've seen a number of different cuts made for specific stores. For example, the Louis Boston cut is first-rate. Light and soft, with excellent roped shoulders. I have seen other cuts that are a bit stiffer and not as shaped, with wider and squarer shoulders. Not that this is a bad cut, only that it is different.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Belvest measurements for the 42R seem enormous, especially the chest and the waist. MTM I am a 42L with 41.3" chest and 38" waist. Wouldn't a jacket with the meaures below look huge on me?

Jacket:

-Chest (underarms across chest while laying flat) 45"
-Waist (around waist button while laying flat) 44"
-Shoulders (top of shoulders across back seam to seam) 19"
-Length (bottom of collar to bottom of jacket) 31.5"
-Sleeve (top of shoulder to end of sleeve) 26"
-Underarm to bottom of sleeve) 18"

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Those look like typical 42R measurements to me.If you have a 41.5" chest,I think that sounds more like a size 40.Most 40 jackets have a 42" chest.Anyone else care to shed some light on this?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 40R would fit me. Does the price seem right $499?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree that my OTR 42r jackets (none of which are sheath-like, granted) have 44-45" chests, 19" shoulder measurements, and 31-31.5 lengths. My sleeves are shorter, but then so are my arms.

I've never had MTM done so I couldn't compare on that...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree that my OTR 42r jackets (none of which are sheath-like, granted) have 44-45" chests, 19" shoulder measurements, and 31-31.5 lengths. My sleeves are shorter, but then so are my arms.

I've never had MTM done so I couldn't compare on that...
Thanks for the perspective shoreman. I did not realize there was such a great discrepancy between OTR and MTM.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not too sure but I believe the Blue Label is a lower price line. The White and Black Label have canvas front. I haven't seen the Blue Label so I don't know whether it's canvas or fused. Did you ask the seller about the Blue Label? If you're in doubt, stick with the White or Black Labels. Does anyone know anything definitive about the Blue Label?

redtree00

Reaction score
I called the Belvest showroom in NYC and got the real information on the blue label, white label and black label.

The white and black label are at comparable price points.

The Blue label is not distributed in the U.S, it is a label marketed strictly in Europe and is about 10% to 20% less expensive than a comparable white/black label suit (i.e. S100 Blue vs S100 White, S150 Blue vs S150 Black)

The Blue label is NOT fused, it has the same handwork as the white/black and it differs only slightly in the shoulder construction and the type of fabric offerings.

From what I understand it is priced less to be more competitive and represents a significant amount of total sales.

As to why it is not sold here ? I could not get a straight answer.

Bottom line is that $499 looks to be a good buy whether it is white/black or blue label.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've been scratching my head on the Blue Label. No wonder so few people knows about Blue Label in the US.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch out with Belvest though -- I've seen a number of different cuts made for specific stores.  For example, the Louis Boston cut is first-rate.  Light and soft, with excellent roped shoulders.  I have seen other cuts that are a bit stiffer and not as shaped, with wider and squarer shoulders.  Not that this is a bad cut, only that it is different.
I'm unsure whether to buy one of these, because while it seems like a great deal, there's no way to return it if it doesn't look right. Is five biggies too big a chance to take? I'm used to Isaia's and E-Zegna's fit. What do you think, johnnyn?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my (albeit limited) experience with Belvest suits, the boxier cut ones were generally made for Neiman Marcus (although these were older models). The recent ones I've tried are quite nice indeed, clean silhouette and fairly high armhole with not too much padding around the shoulders.

koji

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the cut, too boxy, doesn't seem to have any waist suppression. And the lapel doesn't seem to roll pass the top button if the top button is undone. Ask the seller whether it has center vent or double side vents. I've seen Belvest with center vent. At $500, for me, center vent is a deal breaker.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've queried about the shoulders and the fit. We'll see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads