• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belvest vs. Isaia - 2008

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been some good threads on Belvest and Isaia in the past (see Grimslade's June, 2006 thread, for example), but I have some questions that didn't come up in the earlier threads.

I'm suit-hunting and would like to consider both brands (both are available at STP). I have an Isaia suit (Sirio A model) and sports jacket (Sirio G again) and really like them. My questions concern how Belvest compares. So first, is the quality comparable? One slightly better than the other? Second, what style would Belvest represent? Roman (more structured), Neapolitan (less structured, some drape), something else?

Any other points of comparison?

horton

Reaction score
i have both and am a big fan of belvest. i like isaia but when i wear it i find that i say to myself this is a nice jacket, a lot like kiton but the fabrics are less nice (though still great), and other little nits to that effect. I don't find myself saying that with belvest. to me, they are more of their own style. They're from No East Italy (I believe Verona) and the style is more Milanese, than Roman in my opinion.

One caution with Belvest as I have seen and tried models that I didn't like at all. The fit and cut were just wrong. I'd suggest trying them out but only in situations where you can return them with no hassles. It is also one of a few brands that I'm willing to pay full retail for, though recently I've seen significant price inflation from them (more than euro issue) as I think they're attempting to go more upscale.

also their website is totally unflattering compared to the product they produce. one other disclaimer, i believe that they alter their silhouettes some based on the store. So for example, the one that Louis carries seem slimmer and lighter construction. I could be wrong on this and it might be totally accounted for by model name but I never really bother to check the tags and slips for that level of info; i just judge by the way it fits and feels and looks

good luck; you'll be well served by either choice

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience, Isaia and Belvest have totally different cut. Belvest does not have a soft soulder and jacket boday has very little if any waist suppresion. Also, most of their 3 button jackets I've tired on do not roll , so its a hard 3 button jacket. Qulity wise , I think they are compareable, but the cut of Belvest is just not flattering for someone who is in shape.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As horton very astutely pointed out, not all Belvests are created equal. At least in my experience, there are quite dramatic differences in the ones that are "made for...X" (Neiman Marcus, for example), as opposed to just the straight label.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Belvest have had a lot better fabrics recently and I like that their 2 buttons a lot. Isaia items are wonderful too but they use some very strange patterns of fabric recent;y in their RTW.

The one thing I do notice is that the Belvest fabrics recover from wrinkles better than most other items.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Isaia items are wonderful too but they use some very strange patterns of fabric recent;y in their RTW.

I've also noticed what I call outlandish patterns in recent Isaia RTW. Much of it is too outlandish to have as part of a regular rotation of a modest collection. A couple of years ago I made the mistake of buying a very oddly colored striped Isaia RTW on deep discount. I'm glad it was on discount because I rarely wear it. I liked the suit when I bought it but not so much now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads