• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belvest v. Isaia face-off!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took the Isaia jacket out again to try it on before I send it back. It's a beautiful coat.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
This is a funny post.
smile.gif

One comment of Isaia shoulders; although I have never had pleasure of wearing Belvest suits, I am very surprised that you find Belvest suit's shoulders are softer than Isaia's. Do you know the model name of the Isaia suit? If it's Stwert, the shoulders should be nearly soft as ..say Kiton.

I'm surprised too. My Belvest MTM jacket (which, incidentally, is a disaster -- don't even get me started) has shoulders like football pads, whereas my Isaias aremuch less padded and more natural.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could you commnet on the fit of both jackets? Is Belvest more slim fitting or about the same fit as the Isaia suit?? Also, I noticed although the Belvest suit is super 180, is it flannel, does it make it unwearable in warmer weather?

thanks, thinking about picking up the same Belvest suit on STP, just not sure about the fit an material.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
could you commnet on the fit of both jackets? Is Belvest more slim fitting or about the same fit as the Isaia suit?? Also, I noticed although the Belvest suit is super 180, is it flannel, does it make it unwearable in warmer weather?

thanks, thinking about picking up the same Belvest suit on STP, just not sure about the fit an material.

It depends; the Belvest suits that are not made for department stores are much more slim fitting.

koji

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Belvest suit was a US44, and labeled as such. The Isaia was a 56EU. I don't know if that means the Belvest was made for US distribution; I would assume so, but I have no basis for comparison.

They fit fairly similarly in the jackets. The Isaia may have slightly smaller armholes? It feels a little less comfortable on me than the Belvest. Neither has a dramatically tapered waist. I suspect that a "43" Belvest would still fit me and give a slimmer silhouette, if such a size were available. Both have "8R" printed on the tags under the heading "Drop."

Hope that helps.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, on the weight of the Belvest--it's a light material. And I don't think the canvassing runs the full length of the front of the jacket. I still need to bring it to a tailor so I haven't worn it yet outside my house, but I suspect it will be serviceable in warm weather.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first Belvest suit this year, from gilt (marked $3200); it is a great looking jacket, superb cut even before alterations. it was fun looking at the make on their website, in the 'fabrics' section

http://www.belvest.com/full.html

for me, Isaia is far better done made to measure with a softer degree of shoulder than they normally do off the rack. last month, got a look at the mtm very slim sportcoat with NO shoulder padding of any kind, REALLY nice piece. having my first isaia mtm suit done this year, in a slightly lighter than navy solid flannel wool + cash, hopefully it will turn out nicely, requested with softer degree of shoulder and ticket pocket.

unfortunately, these are my last big purchases for a very long time :(

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They make Belvest near where I live. Ought to go look one day. It is severely underrated on the internet and here.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of the best deals I've had on suits and sport coats have been window pane, probably because it's less popular in N. America and they get passed over in retail. I really like window pane, and have found it very versatile.

Agree. Here they are not considered staples and are usually the first to hit the sale rack.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own two Belvest sportcoats and two suits and two Isaia sportcoats and one suit,
all RTW. They are comparable in quality as far as I can tell. What I can say is that
the Belvest models, two from Wilkes Bashford, one from Bergdorf and one from
Virtual Clotheshorse ( probably Korshak), have little or no padding and are cut
a bit full in the chest. That suits my build perfectly. The Isaia' also fit well
but with more alterations. Mine are 3-4 years old . The current Base S model
sold in the Bay Area is skimpy on me with built-up shoulders. Doesn't really
it. Nor do I like it. Needless to say, the Belvest, model, which I can wear practically
without alterations, is no longer carried by Wilkes.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belvest is underrated. I have one of their suits and it's very well made. I'd definitely buy more Belvest items in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads