• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belvest suits on ebay

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out these listings grey suit blue suit Pullled off a few minutes before the end of auction. Â Anyone have comments? -

acole

Reaction score
Wow, just came here to post about mr. belldessari. Â I was watching FIVE of these Belvest blue-label suits, all 48/50 US. Â At 5 minutes to go, one was sitting at $225; the rest were >$150. Â Guess which FOUR got pulled? Â 3926180443 3926173009 3926173574 3926171310 I had bought 2 HF Boardroom suits off this guy previously, and I was entirely satisfied with the transaction, so it pains me to see this. Â I just sent the seller an e-mail to let him know that bidders and repeat customers are watching all this with very little amusement.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were a ton of Belvest suits with the same completion time. I was interested in at least three and had bid on one. If there are other forum members who had bids, it may be worth keeping an eye out if they are relisted. Dont think ebay would do anything about it though.

-

regularjoe

Reaction score
I was watching some as well.

He had some white and black label Belvests mixed in his auctions. If I read my cards rights, those are the real deal (full-canvas with pad stitched lapels, etc).

It looks like he tried to start the bidding at a $1 to see what would happen and didn't like the results.

acole

Reaction score
Generally, eBay has a conflict of interest in taking action against sellers when it comes to offenses like shilling. Â But that's because they make $$$ off final value fees. Â When auctions get pulled like this, eBay loses that revenue (although they do keep the listing fee). Â Ending an auction early because the bids weren't high enough is explicitly prohibited by eBay--they consider it a type of fee avoidance, and say they'll investigate "if the option is abused".

aybojs

Reaction score
acole is pretty much right re: eBay's response pattern; they only tend to get involved if it affects their bottom line. With cases of, say, fakes and sellers misrepresenting merchandise, eBay isn't as zealous because they get their fees regardless. But since sellers pull auctions early they lose final value fees. Another good reason for them to take action against such sellers is that if people can back out when the final prices aren't desirable, then they won't bother to set reserve fees or start the bidding at a higher price, which would reduce eBay's income from listing fees (i.e. starting listing at a lower price is a common way to reduce the cost of listing fees).

That said, if this guy tries to relist his stuff, which he most likely will, a bunch of e-mails from members here, especially if anyone had placed bids, seems like it would attract enough attention for eBay to get involved.

JohnMS

Reaction score
I was told to send my complaints to the following and have done so for this seller: http://pages.ebay.com/help....members I've sent my complaint, specifically regarding auction numbers 3926208182 3926208950 3926180443 3926173009 3926173574 3926171310

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had snipe bids set on 25 or so, what a waste of my time.
I understand his predicament but rules are rules, once there is a bid you have to leave the auction alone and if you kill it, sell to the high bidder.

To better understand his predicament, if I had these listed I'd have had them starting at my bottom price of $500 or so and would have had a LARGE bill for listing fees, listing them for a buck saves him a few hundred bucks but probably cost him an awful lot of customers. FWIW, ebay does respond to things eventually and when enough noise is made. A few weeks ago I had 3-4 Kitons up and they were on the second page if you did a search on Kiton because a seller had 30 ties up with a title like "Calvin Klein tie brioni kiton zegna attolini oxxford" and I bitched for 9 days to ebay before they started doing something about it. What pissed me off was having a listing that cost me $10 to post was on page 2 while some guys 50 cent listing for a Ck tie was at the top.

Imperfect medium to be sure but improving. My ebay bill is around 2-3 grand each month so I actually get a phone number to someone who will look into problems/complaints and fix'm. Nonetheless, when I sold a non -english speaker a Brioni suit that was described in the ad in bold as being in "Fair condition, Moderate wear" he left me ugly feedback that it was 'NOT REALLY BRAND NEW". and ebay would not touch it. Argh... the good news is that things are slanted toward the buyer as they must be, having 1300 straight positive feedbacks and 99.9 overall makes some people assume that 1 guy had you pegged right as a thief and the other 1300 were fooled.

LOL.

...but it sure beats the hell out of working for someone else :)

JohnMS

Reaction score
Carlo,

Thanks for the input. It's always interesting to get your input on these questions/statements on the Forum.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, Mr. B. Fair warning to you. If you put the starting bids again at $1, and there are no bids 12 hours before the auction ends, I am going to bid a very small amount (close to $1.) And I expect, to receive those suits if I win.

Forum members, if he does not heed this warning, you can expect some very good deals (I detest making Ebay auctions) on some very nice suits. I'll settle for $100 a pop, or $80, and promise to buy me lunch sometime.)

I'm done.

NYCDan

Reaction score
That is very dirty

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had 3-4 Kitons up and they were on the second page if you did a search on Kiton because a seller had 30 ties up with a title like "Calvin Klein tie brioni kiton zegna attolini oxxford" and I bitched for 9 days to ebay before they started doing something about it. Â What pissed me off was having a listing that cost me $10 to post was on page 2 while some guys 50 cent listing for a Ck tie was at the top.
That's great to hear Â
confused.gif
 They ended a number of my auctions recently because I put "Incotex" in the title line of an auction for Valentini pants, and "Barbera" in the title of a St. Andrew's suit auction. Both are legitimate comparisons that actually do a service to my customers (bringing lesser known brands of equal quality and lower selling price to their attention, which they normally might have missed.) Yet ebay seems dead set on harassing me, while leaving all the dishonest sellers alone to fleece the unsuspecting public Â
mad.gif
As for the selling strategy that prompted this thread - I wouldn't let anybody buy my NWT Belvest suits for $1.00 either, however, I would never start them at a dollar. It alienates customers.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet ebay seems dead set on harassing me, while leaving all the dishonest sellers alone to fleece the unsuspecting public Â
mad.gif
Doesn't surprise me a bit. Are they doing anything about the Armani/Mani garbage?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the selling strategy that prompted this thread - I wouldn't let anybody buy my NWT Belvest suits for $1.00 either, however, I would never start them at a dollar. It alienates customers.

Rules are rules. There are safeguards against your having to sell your Belvest suits for $1. You can set a higher starting price, or your can have a reserve price. The type of behaviour this seller engaged in is not strictly against the rules (as I have read them) but is definitely not in keeping with the spirit of Ebay. I really do hope I win those suits for a couple of bucks if they are relisted. If he snipes (and this is often easy to spot,) I'll complain to Ebay. If he withdraws the auctions, I'll wait to see if he relists, and then complain to Ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics