• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts for Engine Turned Buckle (ie. No Holes)

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I just purchased an old Brooks Brothers engine turned slide/compression buckle from Ebay and I'm looking into belt options to pair with it. It is meant to take a 1" belt with no holes. I've searched and found recommendations for Beltmaster ($20), Trafalgar ($50), and Brooks Brothers ($100).

Are there any other options? I'm ideally looking for something in between the cost of Beltmaster and Trafalgar since I'd like to buy a few different colors. I generally try to avoid corrected grain leather, which I assume is what you get with Beltmaster, although I might end up going that route anyway since I'm not certain yet how often I will use the belt.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
** EDIT: Nevermind, the tapered belts have holes for a standard buckle. I guess this variety is not the right thing to get, which I suspected anyway. Ordering up a couple of the standard 1" straps.

I've broken down and decided to get the Beltmaster belts afterall. They seem to get good reviews in terms of value for the $ and it seems like a good way to get started with the new buckle.

However, I need a bit of assistance from someone in the know...

Beltmaster offers 1" straps as well as 1 1/8" straps that taper to 1". I'd prefer the wider/tapered strap IF it will fit. The snap end of the strap is clearly tapered. This is obvious from the photos on the beltmaster site. I can't, however, tell if the other end of the strap is also tapered.

Anyone know if the tapered strap will work on a traditional 1" buckle? Mine is one of the older ones from Brooks Brothers with the boxed back structure like the Tiffany buckles (rather than the lighter duty wing style that is currently sold by BB).

Here are the links to the straps that I am talking about:

Tapered: http://www.beltmaster.com/1-1-8-inch-taper-to-1-inch-wide-belt-straps.html
Not Tapered: http://www.beltmaster.com/1-inch-wide-belt-straps.html

thanks!

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

** EDIT: Nevermind, the tapered belts have holes for a standard buckle. I guess this variety is not the right thing to get, which I suspected anyway. Ordering up a couple of the standard 1" straps.

Just wanted to reassure you that the 1" Beltmaster straps are perfectly fine. They'll look right. They'll fit your buckle. You'll have no cause to be unhappy with them.

I'm wearing one right now, with a Tiffany engine-turned buckle.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Great! Many thanks for the feedback. I didn't actually end up ordering yet. They suggest on the site that they are made on an as needed, per order basis so I am planning to ask if they can do the lizard pattern, which I feel like I might prefer to the croco pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads