• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts and Buckles

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ringring
Red Moon are completely handmade by fanatics. Even the stitching (talking about their wallets etc - most belts are not stitched), though done by machine - the machine is wound by hand.
The belts have superb thick leather, unusual 'keyhole' holes and pewter buckles.
Red Moon also make a couple of styles of jeans. One slim fitting five pocket with a leather coin pocket. The other is a more complicated pair with big leather patches on the thighs.

Redmoon leather goods are amazing. The embossed belts I have seen are amazing. But they make Baltazar belt prices ($196+) seem nearly reasonable. The only problem I have with them is the pewter buckles. I much prefer Brass, which, ime, is much more durable.

At a much lower price, if you want simple belt and have a European hookup, Atelier La Durance has pretty tough belts for about 70 Eu. I also like some Dries van Noten belts, but these are hit and miss by season.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want one of those wallets...

Maybe I should order a wallet with matching belt
smile.gif

ringring

Reaction score
The wallets are really nice. They all generally fit into the back pocket of jeans - aside from the long wallets that stick out a bit.
The wallets are rather thick and bulky though (they don't look like they will fit into your jeans but they do) - so it's not as an efficient way to carry money, as something slimmer like a J-Fold.

You may have to ask them to put an eyelet and oval ring onto the wallets if you want to wear them with their wallet chains/braids.

You need a matching wallet braid as well as a belt
smile.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you really think there is a big difference between the quality of a Red Moon belt and say a Hollywood Trading Company belt? Pricing seems similar, with Red Moon being a bit on the higher side.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Do you really think there is a big difference between the quality of a Red Moon belt and say a Hollywood Trading Company belt? Pricing seems similar, with Red Moon being a bit on the higher side.

Red Moon belts are better quality than HTC belts, ime, excepting the pewter buckle. I personally like Baltazar belts, which are, of course, a different style altogether.

jedwards

Reaction score
I bought the quick release belt "cheap" version, and its really nice.

The clasp is a little fiddly though, so I find the belt is best for aesthetic purposes more than practical.

I have put a nice REAL crocodile belt I just bought in the classfieds section if anyone's after a really cheap one, brand new. Unfortunately its too big for me!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jedwards
I bought the quick release belt "cheap" version, and its really nice.

The clasp is a little fiddly though, so I find the belt is best for aesthetic purposes more than practical.

I have put a nice REAL crocodile belt I just bought in the classfieds section if anyone's after a really cheap one, brand new. Unfortunately its too big for me!

It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the belt
smile.gif

jedwards

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the belt
smile.gif

not sure which belt you wanted to see a picture of, so here they all are.

beltsforsale.jpg

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Red Moon wallets, while interesting to look at, always struck me as impractical (they're gigantic!) but their belts are indeed pretty nice. I'm not a big fan of the current japanese infatuation with native imagery but the leather they use looks killer.

ringring

Reaction score
'tis true, many of the Redmoon wallets are huge, like 3 times the thickness of a J-Fold wallet.
They do make some smaller versions too though.

Antoine

Reaction score
Take a look at www.herve-n-sellier.com. Nice belts, very good leather work and quality buckles. I've just ordered a laced belt to wear with my jeans. I'm also interested in their "leathersmith" belt in natural leather.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
the red moon wallets are big at first because of the stiffness of the leather- they decrease in size when you use them- but they'll still be bigger than a jfold.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a place for belts (among other things) reccommended by GQ. Probably some of the better belts I have ever seen (along with the RRL store in Soho that was selling beautifully brass studded worn dark brown leather belts for a thousand and up).

http://www.lofi.com/dev/index.php?cP...91b8847717b28a

Otherwise custom is always an option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads