• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts and Buckles

fruitymetcalfe

Reaction score
I got some good 'denim advice' here a few weeks ago and my APCs are starting to wear in nicely. Now I'm thinking about belts. Do you put as much thought and discrimination into the belt as you do into the jeans, or will any old thing do? Seems strange that there isn't an 'Ultimate Belt Thread'... I could go and get a belt from APC I suppose, just to keep things uncomplicated. Or maybe you've got a better idea? Your point od view would be welcome.

F.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I alternate between two belts, a Baltazar Maltese Cross belt (White crosses lined in studs on a brown strap), and the Engineered Garments brown belt with Brass quick release, depending on whether I feel more or less rock and roll, respectively. I have several other belts, but inevitably gravitate to these. Doesn't hurt that they are really well made, and of top notch leather, and have both aged incredibly with wear. I personally like a belt with a little bit of character, and be a accent piece.

ringring

Reaction score
I'm not really one for 'ultimate' anything. But I love the belts made by Studio D'Artisan & Red Moon. Get the light coloured undyed belts and watch them change colour over the years with wear.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried to expand my collection of belts recently, with fun, but fairly inexpensive additions.

Let's see, I have some generic black and brown leather ones, some canvas and nylon web belts in a variety of colors to match sneakers, a distressed brown leather belt with fire-breathing dragon embossing, a black leather one with interchangeable buckles - currently with a Coca-Cola buckle attached - a cream hair-on-hide belt, and some woven leather belts.

I'd just go to the store and pick the one you like the most, regardless of color, material etc.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ringring
I'm not really one for 'ultimate' anything. But I love the belts made by Studio D'Artisan & Red Moon. Get the light coloured undyed belts and watch them change colour over the years with wear.

Red Moon leather goods are serious ****. I'm always curious what you do, what your history is, etc. You're a mystery, man. You and Takashi are always up on what the newest runs of Japanese jeans are.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering one of the Engineered Garments belts that Fok has posted; cannot currently afford it but it looks damn good to me. Have a look at the thread.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I am seriously considering one of the Engineered Garments belts that Fok has posted; cannot currently afford it but it looks damn good to me. Have a look at the thread.

I have one of these belts as well. Trust me, it's worth the money. It gets better over age, like a pair of nice jeans. If you plan on buying 3 or more belts in two years, or even another pair of jeans, buy the EG belt first. I love mine, and it seriously is only getting better and shows absolutely no signs of durability problems.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I have one of these belts as well. Trust me, it's worth the money. It gets better over age, like a pair of nice jeans. If you plan on buying 3 or more belts in two years, or even another pair of jeans, buy the EG belt first. I love mine, and it seriously is only getting better and shows absolutely no signs of durability problems.

Look people, you are not suppossed to tempt me like that damn it! I think it is painfully obvious by now that I am easily swayed by words including but not limited to: [bridle leather,wholecuts, full canvas, sale, suit, shirt, tie, wool, silk, boot, brogue, shoe, watch]
tongue.gif

ringring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Red Moon leather goods are serious ****. I'm always curious what you do, what your history is, etc. You're a mystery, man. You and Takashi are always up on what the newest runs of Japanese jeans are.

Red Moon are completely handmade by fanatics. Even the stitching (talking about their wallets etc - most belts are not stitched), though done by machine - the machine is wound by hand.
The belts have superb thick leather, unusual 'keyhole' holes and pewter buckles.
Red Moon also make a couple of styles of jeans. One slim fitting five pocket with a leather coin pocket. The other is a more complicated pair with big leather patches on the thighs.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ringring
Red Moon are completely handmade by fanatics. Even the stitching (talking about their wallets etc - most belts are not stitched), though done by machine - the machine is wound by hand.
The belts have superb thick leather, unusual 'keyhole' holes and pewter buckles.
Red Moon also make a couple of styles of jeans. One slim fitting five pocket with a leather coin pocket. The other is a more complicated pair with big leather patches on the thighs.

ringring, pics/sources for us unwashed helots please? A Google search brings a whole host of links that are unlrelated including "Red Moon Rising : Menstruation Symbolism in Lunar Eclipses"
Correct me if I am wrong but that does not seem related to that stuff, lol.

ringring

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a website, but it escapes me at the moment. I'm sure someone will post the URL. Otherwise I'll try and remember it later.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
I have a nice bridle leathe belt I bought from Filson, but I'm looking for a good buclke.

Does anyone know if you can buy the EG buckle without the belt?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sola
I have a nice bridle leathe belt I bought from Filson, but I'm looking for a good buclke.

Does anyone know if you can buy the EG buckle without the belt?

I think Fok mentioned looking in to it... don't know though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads