• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt too tight, belt too loose

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Roland Iten belt buckles are some of the neatest (and most desirable) things I've ever seen but I fail to grasp where those "110 custom-made" moving pieces are or how they relate to the simple & plainly visible mechanics of the closures.

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Answer. Poking a hole between holes will ruin the belt.

eh.gif

It's got holes in it already.
The only situation in which I could imagine somebody staring at your belt closely enough to notice the holes aren't equidistant would be during what became known in the UK as a Taylforth (after a soap star, Gillian, and her partner were caught on a motorway hard shoulder with her paying particular attention to his lower abdomen. And unable to talk). Under the circumstances, I'd hope all concerned had more on their mind.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We will probably see these buckles in Batman and Bond remake in 2012. I just checked out the site and one of the workers wore a F.P. Journe timepiece. These are not your typical engineers.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I want one of the Nobels that are harder to get than the Peace Prize one, though.
A fomer downhill neighbor received a Nobel. People would often ask "Peace Prize?" Our typical response was "Given the arguments at home ... we don't think so."

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
A fomer downhill neighbor received a Nobel. People would often ask "Peace Prize?" Our typical response was "Given the arguments at home ... we don't think so."
.. - B

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will at A Suitable Wardobe will be offering the Iten buckles on his site shortly. The price will be the same, starting at $15K, but shipping will be free. In the US. - B
I've been looking for a buckle that has a FRICTION CONTROL, GLIDING-WHEEL, LEATHER CEINTURE FLOW CARRIAGE for some time now. I'm glad to hear of its impending availability.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want one of the Nobels that are harder to get than the Peace Prize one, though.

- B

Muhammad Yunus is speaking here tomorrow. I'll let him know he should have turned down the peace prize and waited for the slightly less red-headed stepchild economics prize. Hopefully he isn't smart enough to retort that the economics prize isn't a true Nobel.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Muhammad Yunus is speaking here tomorrow. I'll let him know he should have turned down the peace prize and waited for the slightly less red-headed stepchild economics prize. Hopefully he isn't smart enough to retort that the economics prize isn't a true Nobel.

I'm hopeful that Iten will take over making the Nobel medals so that they can be mechanized at long last.

- B

cardguy

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread. Has anyone punched a hole between two existing holes and used the belt long-term without ruining the leather? I'm in the same position as the OP.

Last edited:

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define "ruining the leather".

What will happen is that you will reduce the amount of space between holes and weaken the leather around those particular holes as there will be less leather to distribute the tension. However, I assume people don't wear their belts so cinched that they are actively stretching the leather. And if that is truly the case, then I don't see it causing much damage, especially if it's a temporary solution. If your belt is actual thick full grain leather, you should be able to punch a hole cleanly. If your belt is thin leather with some type of filler, then you might not be too pleased with the results as the layers may separate.

Beyond the fit of the belt, you will now have three holes in close proximity (that's what she said) and it might be noticed. In the long term, that belt will be a throw away belt. I would recommend either buying a new belt or having your existing belt shortened.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been cutting my own belts for years, it's usually an easy thing to do. The locking mechanism on the buckle should be simple enough to just disengage it, cut, then re-assemble. No need to make extra holes...

Reaction score
I think this is a problem that plagues the vast majority of guys. Almost as bad is the hole of where I "use to be". Something my wife reminds me of periodically. Stopped having this issue recently though when I switched to a different brand of belt that is 1/4" adjustable. Problem solved :)

Firefox

Reaction score
I bought a belt that's a size too large and can't return it. I can wear it at the innermost hole, but it's still a tad loose. I was thinking that I could punch a hole further up, but the "loose" end already sticks out too far to the left for my tastes. Do you guys think that a reasonably-skilled cobbler would be able to shorten it at the buckle? Or is this something that would be easy to mess up? It's a nice calf belt that I've hardly worn, so I'd hate to write it off altogether.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^shortening the belt should be easy, assuming the buckle can come off without ruining the belt

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads