• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt shortening

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been done to death but usually on belts with screw in bolts or the clamp system.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have this belt shortened? I'm worried about the sort of waxy finish there is on the edge of the leather / croc and the stitching etc. Is this something a cobbler can do pretty easily or should I not bother?

Thanks in advance as usual.

Stephen

belt2.jpg

belt3.jpg

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well; would such work be best performed by a cobbler?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem and best done by cobbler.

Regards.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies ^^

If anyone knows of a great cobbler in W1 pleaser let me know. My local cobbler is a bit of a "slap dash" merchant - definitely want this one to be a good job...

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon

If anyone knows of a great cobbler in W1 pleaser let me know. My local cobbler is a bit of a "slap dash" merchant - definitely want this one to be a good job...

details on the belt?

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon

This is a standard job. The cobbler just has to remove the threads, cut the belt to your desired length and sew it back on. Dont think there's any glue involved.

It may be difficult for him to re-use the existing thread and it may even be more difficult for him to use the same holes so no additional holes are punched in your belt.

If you are looking for someone to do all that, I bet even the manufacturer of your croc belt wont do that for you.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like you could easily duplicate that exact same setup at home with a heavy thread, a leather punch, and a knife.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Looks like you could easily duplicate that exact same setup at home with a heavy thread, a leather punch, and a knife.

Of course you can. I heard of people resoling their old shoes themselves as well!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Of course you can. I heard of people resoling their old shoes themselves as well!

Shortening a belt is a little simpler. I've done it several times myself- with nothing more than scissors, a knife, a leather punch, and a sewing awl- which will run you $20, last for ages, and be one of the most farking useful things you can possibly have lying around.

Not to mention any less than perfect job- not that it's difficult to do a good job, will be covered up by the end of the belt when you're wearing it.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Not to mention any less than perfect job- not that it's difficult to do a good job, will be covered up by the end of the belt when you're wearing it.

Quite true. The 'branded' boutiques get these cobblers to do the exact same thing and some of the boutiques even do the same thing themselves. I recall Zegna punching the holes in the belt for me (at that time, they dont have holes in their belts) and Lanvin had a female SA carefully and with much effort, shorten the belt for me.

But since Malford wants a good job, I am just pointing out how difficult it is, to make the belt look exactly like it was when sold or to do a better job than what most cobblers do. But it still can be done but probably at quite a high cost.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
details on the belt?
Tom Ford crocodile. Got it for a song but it's a 44. Really don't want my local cobbler screwing this one up! Taking it to someone in London today - may bore everyone with the results once it's done.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could you save the leftover for some purpose, watch strap, luggage strap, key chain charm?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads