• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt maker recommendations

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be able to have a local cobbler just install some metal snaps onto ready-to-wear belts. That would be cheaper than getting something custom made, and then you can still swap out buckles when you need.

Otherwise, Charlie at Equus Leather makes some nice leather belts. Most of his work is in bridle leather, which I prefer on more casual pants.

For calfskin or exotics, I like my belt from Chester Mox. They have a machine and hand-sewing options, the second obvoiusly being more expensive. I like those a little better with dress pants.

If you do RTW, I really like Brooks Brothers belts. I think they go on sale pretty reliably mid-season for about $100 or so. I've been surprised at how well mine have held up over the years. I believe those may already come with snap button closures, so you can swap out the buckles.

Chiming in regarding Equus belts. I own four or five Stratfield belt straps and three buckles in various finishes.

When I discovered these belt kits a few years ago they quickly replaced my belts worn with nicer trousers and suits. Besides the great selection of colors in the strap bridle leather, the clean and smooth finished leather surface, the unique and stunning buckles - the real elegance of the whole ensemble to me is (when custom-sized properly) one's belt shows no exposed holes when worn.

Exposed holes in belts now look a bit superfluous and klunky to me now, compared to the clean elegance of the Stratfield belt.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I recently discovered Brookes & Hyde out of Cincinnati and have been loving what I have seen. I have a decent belt collection (for normal people standard, although not comparable to some people here), and I’m really liking the Brookes & Hyde. Attentive customer service as well, which is always appreciated.

36DE46D4-C2B3-4EEE-B21E-99CA7777A72C.jpeg

67B3E268-5B82-4D3A-AA32-B5AC7E72C059.jpeg

C4B7D642-3B9E-4034-8964-9A5431B27167.jpeg

Attachments

• B345268C-96DE-4DEB-B510-169F1D05ADC9.jpeg
    B345268C-96DE-4DEB-B510-169F1D05ADC9.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 3B500D90-6D5F-48D1-9CD6-9BBCFEEEDB4C.jpeg
    3B500D90-6D5F-48D1-9CD6-9BBCFEEEDB4C.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 13
  • EA8936B1-A439-4513-A8BB-B32A07AE6CE9.jpeg
    EA8936B1-A439-4513-A8BB-B32A07AE6CE9.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered Brookes & Hyde out of Cincinnati and have been loving what I have seen. I have a decent belt collection (for normal people standard, although not comparable to some people here), and I’m really liking the Brookes & Hyde. Attentive customer service as well, which is always appreciated.

View attachment 1595954
View attachment 1595955
View attachment 1595956

Pricing to Equus is similar and I have been happy with the 3 belts I have to date. Any reason to switch?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Pricing to Equus is similar and I have been happy with the 3 belts I have to date. Any reason to switch?

reason to switch from Equus?
I mean, if you have one brand you like and want to stick with it, then stick with it, but
if you want to try something new, try something new? (It’s a belt, can always find use for a new one)

my story and how I found them, a friend from Cincinnati mentioned them, I checked them out. I liked their story (younger gentleman trying to do things the proper way, not cutting corners, pride in his craftsmanship). So I ordered a couple. I thought the quality was very nice, the burgundy calf leather was extremely soft. The chocolate colored one is more of a thicker piece of leather (no stitch, I believe one piece), and more casual, but fills a cool spot in the closet for me.

so I did some more looking into belts, including reading some older threads on here on topics like exotic skin (I wear belts in a professional environment, so don’t really venture into exotics too much, but one really caught my eye). Connor’s response was quick and right on point with what I read here, good information about his sourcing, what separates differing qualities and such. So I spent a little more money on a more expensive nile crocodile belt from him.

from what I know, Equus makes great belts. How do they compare to Brookes & Hyde? Not sure. I don’t own any Equus belts.

for the price of a night out to dinner maybe pick up a Brookes & Hyde and you can elaborate? I never mind picking up new belts, they will always get used

sorry I don’t have more info, I’m not really a salesperson and I’m not in the industry. But I was impressed with this particular order.

going with this combo tomorrow
(Cheaney shoes, omega seamaster DeVille, Paul Stuart tie, Hemrajani shirt and the Brookes & Hyde shirt. Thinking a charcoal thin chalk stripe Belvest suit to finish it off)

510FD362-EB7B-4C8E-88E2-30B7FDC6F903.jpeg

haloitsme

Reaction score
What’s the price for the croco belt?
1 piece? What quality skin? Which cut? How is inside? Rolled edges?
Thx

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
What’s the price for the croco belt?
1 piece? What quality skin? Which cut? How is inside? Rolled edges?
Thx

the croc belt o ordered was $650 (the two tones are this price)
It’s farm raised Nile croc.
He has the caiman for $350’ish, and the gator belts run $500-600.

this is some of what I was told about it:

Nile Croc is all farm raised so there is very minimal scarring and defects in the skins. The difference in a Nile croc belt compared to a caiman belly belt is the skin size of the animals. So the caiman belly skins are much smaller and provide a different look on the skins with the smaller scale size. They also tend to have some calcium deposits on the skin which to a consumer you would probably never notice or be able to tell but Nile Croc does not have that typically. The Nile Croc stuff is really nice, and makes an absolutely gorgeous belt.
The alligator is the same great quality but everything is dependent upon pricing from suppliers and because Nile Croc is farm raised it is more expensive. Plus I don’t have any 2 tones in the alligator just in the Nile Croc.
All of my dress belts and exotics are lined with the nubuck lining which give it a phenomenal feel and professional look

haloitsme

Reaction score
the croc belt o ordered was $650 (the two tones are this price)
It’s farm raised Nile croc.
He has the caiman for $350’ish, and the gator belts run $500-600.

this is some of what I was told about it:

Nile Croc is all farm raised so there is very minimal scarring and defects in the skins. The difference in a Nile croc belt compared to a caiman belly belt is the skin size of the animals. So the caiman belly skins are much smaller and provide a different look on the skins with the smaller scale size. They also tend to have some calcium deposits on the skin which to a consumer you would probably never notice or be able to tell but Nile Croc does not have that typically. The Nile Croc stuff is really nice, and makes an absolutely gorgeous belt.
The alligator is the same great quality but everything is dependent upon pricing from suppliers and because Nile Croc is farm raised it is more expensive. Plus I don’t have any 2 tones in the alligator just in the Nile Croc.
All of my dress belts and exotics are lined with the nubuck lining which give it a phenomenal feel and professional look
Edges are normal and machine sewn?
Have they used 1 piece of croco or multiple pieces?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Edges are normal and machine sewn?
Have they used 1 piece of croco or multiple pieces?

im not sure. I have seen that some croc are single piece with no lining (but wouldn’t that be real thick? My single piece leather tend to be firmer), and I’ve also seen that some places used a stitch and others use a glue/press?

I guess you would have to look at the website and reach out to him and ask? I don’t work there. Sorry I don’t have more info.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
You may be looking for something on the more "luxury" end of the spectrum, but I've been pleased so far with my couple orders from Hank's Belts. Made in the USA using good quality leather. You can swap out buckles. In the $90-110 range.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
THX, not necessary to reach out as Iam in EU, it makes no sense. Was just wondering how they do their “luxury” line.

Thx

what is your experience or opinion as to how it should be done? I’m no expert, always willing to learn new things.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what is your experience or opinion as to how it should be done? I’m no expert, always willing to learn new things.

I think it's mostly a matter of aesthetics and preferences. Not sure there's a "should."

I have a few saddle-stitched dress belts from Chester Mox. I like the look that a stitched edge gives the design.

tumblr_inline_p4uqx7hGn11qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_p4uqcaISMv1qfex1b_540.jpg

Saddle stitching results in a slightly cleaner look, as there are no visible holes. You only see the thread.

tumblr_inline_p4ub6xIu5E1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_p4uagdK9Th1qfex1b_540.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads