• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt care tips

styleme_now

Reaction score
Recently graduated, now have my first real belt (Allen Edmonds). Any belt care tips? How long can I reasonably expect this belt to last me?

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shine my belts about once a year. Other than that, you don't really need to do anything.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds belt? A good 10 years, no sweat.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neutral shoe polish.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apply sparingly, some leather lotion about once every 2 months to maintain pliability and beauty.
Let dry an hour then buff with a cloth.
Give the belt at least 1-2 days off after each days wearing; therefore, have several in your rotation.
Do not over-tighten the belt when wearing.
Put the belt on from the left one day, from the right the next.
This 'even wear' tip will keep the belt from developing a dreaded curve at the back,
which occurs from always putting the belt on one way.
Never apply coloured polish to a belt. It doesn't need it,
and coloured polishes will immediately get on your pant belt hoops.
Don't worry if you get a nick here & there. It's called 'character', just like on shoes.
If you store your belt rolled, don't over-tighten the roll. A relaxed 6"-8" diameter roll will do.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dreaded curve? I like my belts to curve- they fit better when they curve, which is why they start curving in the first place. The leather is breaking in to the shape of your body.

Your opinion may vary, but that's a plus for me. And it should look completley normal when you're wearing it, because the belt will follow the waistline of the pant.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't get pushed into a pool with it on...

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
I was thinking about this recently, and I realized that I've never done any sort of preservation or care to my belts. And yet, they continue to hold my pants in place at my waist.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
I was thinking about this recently, and I realized that I've never done any sort of preservation or care to my belts. And yet, they continue to hold my pants in place at my waist.

OP is overthinking.....belt care??

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
Well I should be fair and say it's not that absurd to broach this topic, it's just that I've never done anything to mine and they have all held up well and still look just fine.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
Well I should be fair and say it's not that absurd to broach this topic, it's just that I've never done anything to mine and they have all held up well and still look just fine.

same here bro!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Mitchelli
sorry for the off-topic but what iGent? I have seen it posted lots in this forum,

A mythical beast of unbelievable refinement who roams the Internet. When spotted, he is usually wearing vicuna.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics